what is this texture?

Seems like you ran out of VRAM which caused it to go black. If you have ENB you can hit F4 to refresh VRAM so it'll go back to normal, but other than that try to lower mods that increase texture resolution to stop it from happening.

to think I ran out of VRAM when I am using GTX 960 and 16gb of ram. Thank you.

If you're using Windoes 10, that happens, as you won't have more than 4GB of vRam anyway, because Win10 sucks at that. That's why I went back to Win7 anyway. :D 

Black textures could also be a matter of lighting. I don't know if you replaced them, or if they are vanilla ones.

For example, I have changed my gem textures. Hit by direct light they look stunning. However, if it gets a bit shady, they might appear pure black. It's a bit annoying, but I can live with that, as they look sooo much better if hit by light.

If you're using Chesako's Wearable Lanterns Mod, take one out and see if the textures still appear black. If they still do, it's most likely nothing like that. 

If you're using Windoes 10, that happens, as you won't have more than 4GB of vRam anyway, because Win10 sucks at that. That's why I went back to Win7 anyway. :D 

Black textures could also be a matter of lighting. I don't know if you replaced them, or if they are vanilla ones.

For example, I have changed my gem textures. Hit by direct light they look stunning. However, if it gets a bit shady, they might appear pure black. It's a bit annoying, but I can live with that, as they look sooo much better if hit by light.

If you're using Chesako's Wearable Lanterns Mod, take one out and see if the textures still appear black. If they still do, it's most likely nothing like that. 

Using Wins 10. And ELFX too but I never had this problem before I have been using it for many days. May be its the new update wearable lantern gotta try that.

I'm not saying that ELFX is doing that, don't get me wrong! The lighting mods are just fine. I'm only assuming that - IF you replaced your textures - especially the one of the black object - by custom ones, this might happen - no matter which lighting mod you use or not. SO if the texture doesn't light up if you're using a lantern to hit it by direct light, then the black texture itself should be fine. 

If it, however lights up if you do, the texture itself may be broken somehow, or it' _n.dds file isn't correct, or you're using a custom mesh that doesn't have the proper settings. If it's none of these, then I'd check if the problem occurs when you just load the game, or if it only occurs a while into the game. If that is the case, then it's most likely a vRam issue. Although I have to say that stuff like that never happened to me, even on Win10 and it's limited 4GB of vRam. 

I'm not saying that ELFX is doing that, don't get me wrong! The lighting mods are just fine. I'm only assuming that - IF you replaced your textures - especially the one of the black object - by custom ones, this might happen - no matter which lighting mod you use or not. SO if the texture doesn't light up if you're using a lantern to hit it by direct light, then the black texture itself should be fine. 

If it, however lights up if you do, the texture itself may be broken somehow, or it' _n.dds file isn't correct, or you're using a custom mesh that doesn't have the proper settings. If it's none of these, then I'd check if the problem occurs when you just load the game, or if it only occurs a while into the game. If that is the case, then it's most likely a vRam issue. Although I have to say that stuff like that never happened to me, even on Win10 and it's limited 4GB of vRam. 

Well my textures should be fine because I am not using any new texture mods. It is probably some VRAM issue. And its probably somewhere in the settings may be.

If it happend after loading and solve itself, temporarely, when you equip/unequip the item?

Because, in that case, could be a glitch by a custom bodyslides (it happend also to me, simply the Texture get streched and become monochrome)

Try to enter in the racemenu and exit again and see if it return back to normal.

EDIT: Yes, save your soul and back to Win 7... we have cookies...

You don't even have to completely reinstall Oblivion or Skyrim if you went back *hint hint* if you know how to backup your stuff. (You could ask me too :D)

Anyway, sorry about the offtopic suff. xD

If I could I would have gone back but I cannot. Sigh. So I gotta take what I have.

The value would be 4096, I also have 16GB of Ram and 4GB of vRam, Windows 10 doesn't allow more than 4096. 

Using Windows 7 gets double the size. :)

You can't increase the value, as the limitation is due to Windows 10. It's hardcoded, no way to bypass it, no nothing. Even if you had 64GB of Ram and 16GB of vRam, Windows 10 doesn't allow more than 4096MB to be used. :C

It should be enough for playing Skyrim though. The only issue might be that RaceMenu crashes on you while switching hairstyles if you have too many of them installed, while Crash Fixes plugin tells you that you're running out of vRam. You can solve that however, by changing the value "AllowHeapAllocation=0" in its ini to 1. (I think that's the name of it, something like that anyway. It's somewhere in the guide I linked in my signature.) 

Oh and - why can't you go back to Windows 7? Missing an installation DVD? 

The value would be 4096, I also have 16GB of Ram and 4GB of vRam, Windows 10 doesn't allow more than 4096. 

You can't increase the value, as the limitation is due to Windows 10. It's hardcoded, no way to bypass it, no nothing. Even if you had 64GB of Ram and 16GB of vRam, Windows 10 doesn't allow more than 4096MB to be used. :C

It should be enough for playing Skyrim though. The only issue might be that RaceMenu crashes on you while switching hairstyles if you have too many of them installed, while Crash Fixes plugin tells you that you're running out of vRam. You can solve that however, by changing the value "AllowHeapAllocation=0" in its ini to 1. (I think that's the name of it, something like that anyway. It's somewhere in the guide I linked in my signature.) 

Not my PC, and the owner gets furious if he is not "up to date" -_- Also, yeah I have that settings installed.

Not my PC, and the owner gets furious if he is not "up to date" -_- Also, yeah I have that settings installed.

Archived