Oblivion crashing after pressing new game

ok, try this then:

1. Go to your my documents folder and find your oblivion.ini file (it should be where your saved games folder is) and change it to oblivion.ini-disable

2. Then start the game via oblivion.exe

3. As soon as it gets to the title screen you can select "exit game".

4. After the game exits then try to start the game normally via obse-loader.exe

also' date=' it created another oblivion.ini

[/quote']

That was the point of the exercise :)

Sometimes the oblivion.ini file goes bad.

Let's try this: I want you to start the game via oblivion.exe again and this time try to start a new game. This will be a no mod run to see if perhaps your game is broken.

right then, I tried that and it was missing ten files. I tried playing it without any mods using the oblivion.exe and it still crashed, so I'm uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I'll tell you if it works when it's done.

Okay, I reinstalled it and it still crashes. If I put the oblivion.exe into compatibility mode, then I launch oblivion.exe and press play. It then opens up another oblivion launcher. It does that no matter how many times I press play when that happens.

Ok, let's backup here. Will the game start ok if you use the play option in steam?

If this brings up the launcher then so be it and just use the launcher go try to play.

We want to make sure the vanilla game works before we mess with mods.

Ok' date=' let's backup here. Will the game start ok if you use the play option in steam?

If this brings up the launcher then so be it and just use the launcher go try to play.

We want to make sure the vanilla game works before we mess with mods.

[/quote']

I use the OBSE steam loader and it works fine without issues, you have to use the launcher to make it play or at least I do.

Verify the game files in Steam? I know it's already been done but it's happen before, fixed only to break again.

Just wanted to make sure.

Well, it may be time to reinstall the game completely as much as you don't want to hear that.

If you can't start the game with the original games exe file then things are busted that may not be able to be fixed any other way.

The only other alternative is if you made a backup of your data folder recently.

Yes' date=' it keeps restoring your save games when you load the game up :) So if a save is causing the issue now it keeps coming back.

[/quote']

Good catch...I forgot about this annoying feature of Steam. Yea disable cloud for oblivion and see if that helps you.

You can backup the original base game using the backup feature in Steam without copying the mods over too. That how I do it.

Restores the game in less then 15mins back into the computer or a hour and a half downloading again :D Which one do you pick? :P