(Help) textures : how to create BGSM file ?

Hi

I'm trying to create some armors, I already have the texture,s but it's not like skyrim : you need a bgsm file, which contains the dds.

And when I whange the meshe, all the BGSM disappear, and I get the pink square, with no way to fix that.

How I can build that BGSM files ?

To do it in the CK is the same way as you would do it in skyrim (only it was called a texture swap).

First you need to have a material .bgsm made already, then in the CK go to the material section (in miscellaneous) and duplicate one of the materials. 

k2g986121dsxxwe7g.jpg

Double click it to open, it should be fairly obvious what is what, but to run down what to do;

1, Click edit next to the 'original' dialogue box and select the material the nif is already pointing to, then click 'OK'.

2, highlight the entry you just added to the list and click the 'edit' button for the replacement, find the material you made and click 'OK'.

3, Rename its ID to something you will recognise and click 'OK' to close the material swap box.

Then you need to move to the "ArmorAddon" section find the armour you are doing this for and duplicate it (or not if you just want to strait up replace)

You then need to set the model (even if its already set)

aqn907y2jpxr7az7g.jpg

Click the 'select' button for male and female and you will open up that ^ box, and there (if you set the correct 'original material') you will see your new material in the drop down list.

If not you could try unchecking the 'valid only' box and finding it..

Then if you did not replace the material in the ArmorAddon and duplicated it so you have both original and yours, you will then need to make a new armour entry for it.

Just duplicating the original and pointing it to the ArmorAddon you edited, and giving it a new name is the bare minimum you will need to do.

And that should be it.

To do it in the CK is the same way as you would do it in skyrim (only it was called a texture swap).

First you need to have a material .bgsm made already, then in the CK go to the material section (in miscellaneous) and duplicate one of the materials. 

k2g986121dsxxwe7g.jpg

Double click it to open, it should be fairly obvious what is what, but to run down what to do;

1, Click edit next to the 'original' dialogue box and select the material the nif is already pointing to, then click 'OK'.

2, highlight the entry you just added to the list and click the 'edit' button for the replacement, find the material you made and click 'OK'.

3, Rename its ID to something you will recognise and click 'OK' to close the material swap box.

Then you need to move to the "ArmorAddon" section find the armour you are doing this for and duplicate it (or not if you just want to strait up replace)

You then need to set the model (even if its already set)

aqn907y2jpxr7az7g.jpg

Click the 'select' button for male and female and you will open up that ^ box, and there (if you set the correct 'original material') you will see your new material in the drop down list.

If not you could try unchecking the 'valid only' box and finding it..

Then if you did not replace the material in the ArmorAddon and duplicated it so you have both original and yours, you will then need to make a new armour entry for it.

Just duplicating the original and pointing it to the ArmorAddon you edited, and giving it a new name is the bare minimum you will need to do.

And that should be it.

I do'nt understand a thing, sorry.

So, I need to create a bgsm file, and find a material swap file, and edit the original one ?

Problem is the variant one will stay...

It doesn't work at all : If i try to make changes in the material swap file, it still go into the material folder stored in BS2 archive, or my BGSM files are in textures files...

Le CK de Fallout, c'est vraiment de la daube...

So, I need to create a bgsm file, and find a material swap file, and edit the original one ?

If all you want to do is replace then you don't need to use the CK.

Just swap textures with yours... the original .bgsm will already point to them.

And if not (for the variant) edit them with the material editor.

I mean what exactly are you trying to do?

It doesn't work at all : If i try to make changes in the material swap file, it still go into the material folder stored in BS2 archive, or my BGSM files are in textures files...

All materials should be put in the materials folder, if not for good organisation then for the fact its hard coded to search for them there.

And the CK will load whats in the material.bs2 but also what is loose in the data\materials folder.

If all you want to do is replace then you don't need to use the CK.

Just swap textures with yours... the original .bgsm will already point to them.

And if not (for the variant) edit them with the material editor.

I mean what exactly are you trying to do?

All materials should be put in the materials folder, if not for good organisation then for the fact its hard coded to search for them there.

And the CK will load whats in the material.bs2 but also what is loose in the data\materials folder.

I just created a materials folder... I put the bgsm files I created, I will check if it's works.

There is another problem : you can't associate a bgsm with a nif, only delete...

Edit :

The BGSM was detected, but not loaded, and I still have the pink square.

I get that error :

MASTERFILE:                (BSStream Error) NIF BSversion is too old in meshes\armor\ZRaiderArmor\spike\m\outfit.nif.

I just created a materials folder... I put the bgsm files I created, I will check if it's works.

There is another problem : you can't associate a bgsm with a nif, only delete...

Edit :

I get that error :

MASTERFILE:                (BSStream Error) NIF BSversion is too old in meshes\armor\ZRaiderArmor\spike\m\outfit.nif.

You can associate a .bgsm in the nif, just click on a BSLightingShaderProperty and in the block list click the 'txt' button for the name and type in the file path (e.g "Materials\actors\Character\BaseHumanFemale\basehumanFemaleskin.bgsm")

Keep in mind the path is case sensitive.

And for that error, is the nif for fallout 4? did you convert it yourself? or is it just a vanilla/other mods mesh being reused?

Or that error might be because you removed the material path? though i'm sure that would just end up crashing to desktop.

Edit :

I get that error :

You can associate a .bgsm in the nif, just click on a BSLightingShaderProperty and in the block list click the 'txt' button for the name and type in the file path (e.g "Materials\actors\Character\BaseHumanFemale\basehumanFemaleskin.bgsm")

Keep in mind the path is case sensitive.

And for that error, is the nif for fallout 4? did you convert it yourself? or is it just a vanilla/other mods mesh being reused?

Or that error might be because you removed the material path? though i'm sure that would just end up crashing to desktop.

It's a nif from fallout 3 (raider armor), and skyrim (chaurus meshe)

Directly from fallout 3 and skyrim? Have you converted them to the fallout 4 nif format (by outfit studio ar 3ds max)?

And while on that line of thought, did you convert the textures to fallout 4 standards?

I can't, I don't know how to use outfit studio or 3ds max...

So, I'm f*cked ?

Archived