Warning of Microsoft Based Scam!

Ark of Truth

Just so everyone is aware I have just got of the phone with someone claiming to be Microsoft saying that I have problems with my computer and will try and sell you software which you will never see.

If you recieve a phone call like this just hang up.

Microsoft will never contact you unless you contact them through the support section of they website and even then they will most likely respond with an e-mail and not a phone call.

Be on the look out for this folks.

Ever think to yourself it might be better to not warn those who need to be warned? Oh, wait, that's Darwin's voice in my head. I suppose he might add that helping those who need such help also forces predators to step up their game which in turn helps the best of us get better, too.

But, still, a phone call? I almost don't know which side to take. If the person on the phone had an accent, I may be more sympathetic to their scam then the one being scammed. I mean, I'd still support the law against it and punishing the scammer; I just have a hard time empathizing or getting in the mindset of someone who might be so easily scammed.

After saying that, I'll probably discover I just got scammed on something and be like, how could I had been so stupid! But then, wouldn't I also be so deserving?

Okay, so why is your old avatar now in a spoiler? I hope it is foreshadowing the return of that Eight.

These have been common in the UK for years.

My favorite tactic is to be fairly brief in my responses but to pretend to go along with them.

"Yes, my computer is on."

"OK, tell me what to do."

But when they start telling you to press keys etc, say:

"That doesn't do anything."

They'll start to get confused as this isn't in the script, and ask you to try again or do other things. Keep saying "nothing happened" or "that key doesn't do anything".

When you get bored, finally say "I use Linux, not Windows!" They get VERY confused.

Eventually, they'll just hang up on you, after quite some time sometimes! Costs THEM money! For a fun variation, say you use a Mac.

These have been common in the UK for years.

My favorite tactic is to be fairly brief in my responses but to pretend to go along with them.

"Yes' date=' my computer is on."

"OK, tell me what to do."

But when they start telling you to press keys etc, say:

"That doesn't do anything."

They'll start to get confused as this isn't in the script, and ask you to try again or do other things. Keep saying "nothing happened" or "that key doesn't do anything".

When you get bored, finally say "I use Linux, not Windows!" They get VERY confused.

Eventually, they'll just hang up on you, after quite some time sometimes! Costs THEM money! For a fun variation, say you use a Mac.

[/quote']

I wonder if the people calling don't know they are hired for a scam. That would be the best way to make them convincing. If it sounds like the person IS following some kind of script, most likely they have been hired and probably see it like any other type of cold-calling job. I worked at temp agencies and at calling centers for a couple of years and we would often be trained at most two weeks for calling people to help with things like hearthcare insurance or you name it, stuff we might otherwise know nothing about ourselves. Since the callers you mentioned actually got confused by your mention of Linux, I'm guessing they didn't have a clue what scam they were pulling on you. They probably thought whatever they said was true or at least didn't really know enough to care. But, yeah, wasting their time and the company's money is still good. Plus, they could just be the kind of people who take such jobs full well knowing they are being bad.

Don't be quick to call people who fall for those kind of scams, they're just preying on non-technological savvy people. The kind of people that was born in 1940s and just later. Computers is a pain for the most of people from back then.

If you know anyone like this, warn them at least once to watch out in attempt to limit any possible damage. I've worked with plenty of old people. They're generally good on the uptake.

We also get these in Sweden... They kept calling so in the end I got rude. Haven't heard from them since... And oh yeah, these are indians too. Every time I hear an indian accent on the phone I hang up withouth saying anything. Only the last one bothered to call up again. That was when the aformentioned rudeness ensued.

Don't be quick to call people who fall for those kind of scams' date=' they're just preying on non-technological savvy people. The kind of people that was born in 1940s and just later. Computers is a pain for the most of people from back then.

If you know anyone like this, warn them at least once to watch out in attempt to limit any possible damage. I've worked with plenty of old people. They're generally good on the uptake.

[/quote']

I know lots of "old people" who are actually great programmers and systems analysts and such. Lots of tech was actually created or improved by older people who are still alive and teching. R.I.P. Jobs. I also know lots of young people who never leave the main user interface of any app and know much less than they even think they know.

Old people are supposed to be wiser to scams, anyway. If they are old and still not wise, it's probably too late for them. Those are dying people.

Well I did say I was going to report him because he was breaking the law and he got all confused and was like "You think I'm breaking the law".

Pretending to be a company you are not does break it if i recall correctly.

Yeah, I sucked at it. Only did it for like two years total, maybe, whilst a young pup. I was never a telemarketer (pressure selling to new customers) but we did lots of cold-calling for companies with their customers, which wasn't entirely different than telemarketing, the difference being like having your bank call you about a new program or having another bank call you of which you don't already bank with.

But if I was calling for say Insurance Company X, then I thought of myself as contracted and hired and thus working for Insurance Company X, given that the company I did work for was contracted by them. If the customers asked me direct questions about it, exactly who I worked for and the links, I'd be open and honest while my supervisor rolled their eyes, knowing I was wasting time on a low potential call.

Archived