Creating a perk tree mod, need help.

metanight78

Hello all.

I'm (trying to) work on a perk tree mod that would replace light armor skill with "nudist skill". Where the player's naked body would act as a type of armor.

Unfortunately I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding in general and I have no idea what to do. I've read/watched several tutorials on how to use CK, and I'm still unsure how to proceed.

Specificly my questions are:

1) How do I change the game to recognise a naked skin as light armor?

2) With perks, how do I appy a bonus directly onto the player. (such as +50 armor rating)

I'm most likely forgeting something, but help with these two would be a good start for me.

1) How do I change the game to recognise a naked skin as light armor?

Instead of trying to fool Skyrim into thinking a nudist is wearing light armor, simply edit the Light Armor perks to apply their benefits when the actor is NOT wearing any light or heavy armor. As a quick example, find the perk AgileDefender00 in the Creation Kit, open the only perk entry at the bottom of the window, then go to the Item tab. Here you'll see the conditions for the perk to apply are if the player has light armor equipped, and no shield. Edit the LightArmor one so it's ==0 instead of ==1, and add a new keyword condition for HeavyArmor == 0.

2) With perks, how do I appy a bonus directly onto the player. (such as +50 armor rating)

In the same window where you did the keyword changes, look to the right. Change the function from Multiply Value to Add Value, then set however much armor you want this perk to give the player. You only need to do this for AgileDefender00, the extra ranks of Agile Defender will multiply the base armor given by the first rank.

Thanks for you responce. However another thing cropped up.

For #1 agiledefender00 is seperate from agiledefender20 and so on and only has a "1" in the "Num Ranks" box. And agiledefender20 has a

"getbaseactorvalue   lightarmor  >= 20 AND" attached to it. I'm not sure what this means.

I was able to figure out the rest of what you posted just fine. But that one bit is still throwing me.

For #1 agiledefender00 is seperate from agiledefender20 and so on and only has a "1" in the "Num Ranks" box. And agiledefender20 has a

"getbaseactorvalue   lightarmor  >= 20 AND" attached to it. I'm not sure what this means.

I was able to figure out the rest of what you posted just fine. But that one bit is still throwing me.

The conditions list in the Perk window (where you're seeing lightarmor  >= 20 AND) are the requirements for the player to unlock the perk. (it will be greyed out in the skill tree if you don't meet them) These are not to be confused with the conditions in the Perk Entry window, which dictate what situations the perk bonus applies in.

As for the Num Ranks box, it is not used in Skyrim. Instead, to make perks with multiple ranks, they are linked to each other in order using the Next Perk dropdown box on the right side. You'll notice AgileDefender00 links to AgileDefender20, which in turn links to AgileDefender40, and so on.

For more specifics into what each thing does, I recommend the Creation Kit wiki, here's a link for the Perk window to start you off.

The conditions list in the Perk window (where you're seeing lightarmor  >= 20 AND) are the requirements for the player to unlock the perk. (it will be greyed out in the skill tree if you don't meet them) These are not to be confused with the conditions in the Perk Entries window, which dictate what situations the perk bonus applies in.

As for the Num Ranks box, it is not used in Skyrim. Instead, to make perks with multiple ranks, they are linked to each other in order using the Next Perk dropdown box on the right side. You'll notice AgileDefender00 links to AgileDefender20, which in turn links to AgileDefender40, and so on.

Ok I think I get it. I thought it was weird seeing haggling having multible ranks, but agiledefender not. I thought I might have not set up CK correctly or something.

EDIT: Also thanks for the link.

Ok I think I get it. I thought it was weird seeing haggling having multible ranks, but agiledefender not. I thought I might have not set up CK correctly or something.

Nothing wrong with your CK, Haggling does have the Num Ranks set to 5. But like I said, that option doesn't have any effect in Skyrim, only the Next Perk setting does.

Nothing wrong with your CK, Haggling does have the Num Ranks set to 5. But like I said, that option doesn't have any effect in Skyrim, only the Next Perk setting does.

Thanks. I think I have all I need at the moment. I'll get back to work on it, and mark this as resolved when I finish my mod. (just incase I have any other questions.)

Ok I have another question.

One of the perks I want to change is to add more max health. However I can't find an ability or entry point that changes max health. I see regenhealth, but I want it to be max health. Also the Creation Kit wiki searches arn't responding for some reason.

You can create your own abilities to use in perks. Create a spell and give it an ID, set the Type to Ability, then add a new magic effect to it, of Type abFortifyHealth. The magnitude defines how many health points this ability grants.

I'll try that thanks.

Also I just tried testing my change made to agiledefender and it didn't work. Here is what the window looked like when I was done.

Note: Since I wanted the +50 to apply to each rank, I manually change each other level of this perk instead of the percent change.post-1045666-0-91875200-1460938249_thumb.png

By "didn't work" I assume you mean you didn't get the expected armor rating in-game? Keep in mind all conditions in both tabs (Perk Owner and Item) need to output true for the perk bonus to be in effect. Also, I'm not sure how Skyrim reacts to this kind of perk changes so you might want to test with a fresh character that doesn't have the perk yet. (use the player.addperk <ID> command)

By "didn't work" I assume you mean you didn't get the expected armor rating in-game? Keep in mind all conditions in both tabs (Perk Owner and Item) need to output true for the perk bonus to be in effect. Also, I'm not sure how Skyrim reacts to this kind of perk changes so you might want to test with a fresh character that doesn't have the perk yet. (use the player.addperk <ID> command)

Ok that's where I messed up. I didn't even touch the Perk Owner tab. So I need to add the same "Haskeyword Keyword:heavy/lightarmor" to the perk tab as well?

Also I did start a new charactor just for testing this mod and used the advskill lightarmor console command to level up.

Ok that's where I messed up. I didn't even touch the Perk Owner tab. So I need to add the same "Haskeyword Keyword:heavy/lightarmor" to the perk tab as well?

Actually, I think I may have given you bad advice. I've read a bit more, and from what I understand, Perk Owner are conditions that run on the actor, and Item are the ones that run on the actor's equipped items. Since your purpose is to get the armor bonus when you have no clothes at all, the Item tab should be empty, and you want to use WornHasKeyword conditions (note this is different to the HasKeyword condition) in the Perk Owner tab, so that the bonus only applies if the actor doesn't have any armor or clothes equipped.

Actually, I think I may have given you bad advice. I've read a bit more, and from what I understand, Perk Owner are conditions that run on the actor, and Item are the ones that run on the actor's equipped items. Since your purpose is to get the armor bonus when you have no clothes at all, the Item tab should be empty, and you want to use WornHasKeyword conditions (note this is different to the HasKeyword condition) in the Perk Owner tab, so that the bonus only applies if the actor doesn't have any armor or clothes equipped.

I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Ok I just tried this,

I removed all strings from the Items tab and added string: wornhaskeyword Lightarmor ==0  and did the same for heavy armor and regular clothes under Perk Owner, and the armor rating when naked is still 0. However ( and this is where it gets weird) all light armor pieces have 50 +(regular armor value) But when worn they only have the regular armor value. (see screen shots.)

And to add to the weirdness, it only seemed to accept the first Agiledefender level. In the screen shots all five are active.

post-1045666-0-64808500-1460942620_thumb.jpg

post-1045666-0-18173300-1460942625_thumb.jpg

I figured out why it was doing that. In one string I gave the plus 50 armor to light armor, but only when NOT equiped. So I created a feedback loop of sorts.

That being said I've reconsidered what I want to do with my mod and some help would be welcome.

1) If the PC isn't wearing light armor, than the light armor skill will never increase So I was wondering if it was posible to give X experiance points per enemy killed or "time spent naked."

If this isn't posible I'll just make a seperate branch off of the speach tree for my mod.

2) I was able to figure out how to make perks work when the perk provides a spell add-on to the PC. (like the magic resistance bonus that's under Alteration)

However I've been unsuccessful in trying to create my own abilities work properly. The bonuses that I want to add are:

+X max health

+X Base armor

+X movement speed

+X armor on all jewerly

I've made other perks already by using the base game as a guide but those four I can't figure out.

P.S. Wraithslayer, when I release this mod you will be credited under special thanks.

1) If the PC isn't wearing light armor, than the light armor skill will never increase So I was wondering if it was posible to give X experiance points per enemy killed or "time spent naked."

You can use the AdvanceSkill function to add XP to the Light Armor skill. I don't know how to detect when the player kills an enemy, though. But if you want it to work similarly to the way Light Armor works (get XP when player gets hit), you can implement OnHit for the player character, and add a bit of XP via AdvanceSkill every time a hit is detected, provided the player doesn't have any armor/clothing keywords. You'll also probably want to identify if the hit is physical or magical, and only give XP if it's physical.

2) I was able to figure out how to make perks work when the perk provides a spell add-on to the PC. (like the magic resistance bonus that's under Alteration)

However I've been unsuccessful in trying to create my own abilities work properly. The bonuses that I want to add are:

+X max health

+X Base armor

+X movement speed

+X armor on all jewerly

I previously described how to make an ability to boost max health. What part of it are you getting stuck on?

You can use the AdvanceSkill function to add XP to the Light Armor skill. I don't know how to detect when the player kills an enemy, though. But if you want it to work similarly to the way Light Armor works (get XP when player gets hit), you can implement OnHit for the player character, and add a bit of XP via AdvanceSkill every time a hit is detected, provided the player doesn't have any armor/clothing keywords. You'll also probably want to identify if the hit is physical or magical, and only give XP if it's physical.

+X max health

+X Base armor

+X movement speed

+X armor on all jewerly

I previously described how to make an ability to boost max health. What part of it are you getting stuck on?

Actually I was able to get a health bonus effect working since I made that post. Origionally I was unable to find abFortifyhealth, but it turned out I was using the wrong window... >.<

I'll try getting the advanceskill thing up and running next. Doesn't sound to hard (probably just jinxed myself)

As for the other 3 I mentioned, I'm still unsure as to get more movement speed so a pointer would be appriciated. (I can't find anything obvious in the CK wiki, or in Ck itself.)

As for the other 3 I mentioned, I'm still unsure as to get more movement speed so a pointer would be appriciated. (I can't find anything obvious in the CK wiki, or in Ck itself.)

Movement speed is the same process as fortify health, except there isn't a magic effect for speed already made, so you need to start by creating one. In the magic effect's window, give it an ID, set Assoc Item 1 to SpeedMult, and Casting Type to Constant Effect. (you may also want to go through the Magic Effect wiki page to figure out if there are any other changes you want to make here) When that's done, follow the same steps as the health one but using your newly created speed effect instead of abFortifyHealth.

Archived