Texture Optimizer

llab

I tried it with NV. It broke a ton of mods. Didn't even notice much of a performance increase. If you're just starting go for it before installing anything but if you've got a ton of mods already don't use it. I was thinking of re-installing NV anyway so took the chance.

I wouldn't use it on the vanilla BSA. But I found it helpful on loose mod files which can be very large e.g. MBP.

It's not really for the performance increase (which is minimal with a gaming pc): more to save graphic memory and fix bad textures.

I totally agree about pyffi. I only use the patches for vanilla BSA and even then the difference in fps is unbelievable.

People tend to use DXT 3 or 5 instead of 1 even if there is no alpha channel. Well the color compression ratio is liiiiiitle bit different, so maybe we should accept minor quality drop.

But when used for vanilla BSA this causes problems? Strange.. I thought all this does is just re-saving unused alpha mask in DXT 3/5 to DXT1...

It did cause problems with certain vanilla textures (like for grass). Maybe this is what Prophour encountered?

This isn't a problem with the latest version: I just can't personally be bothered with the BSA since textures are pretty small (and free of cruft) anyway.

Here's what the app actually does:

Compress BMP, TGA, DDS (unoptimized) to DXT5 and DXT1

Remove unused mask in DXT5/DXT3 without loss of quality, reducing the size by 50%

Make mipmaps to improve performance

Delete unnecessary files (identical BMP=TGA=DDS, thumbs.db, pspbrwse.jbf, ...)

Resizes fills to 16x16 or 4x4

Fixes Wrong Size - Example: 100x30 => 128x32

Fixes when the alpha channel is hiding an image

Optionally resize textures (CAUTION with maps and icons. Use Preserve_folder)

It's just nice to use as a clean up for mods IMO.

• 1 month later...

I tried doing this to my entire Textures folder before (wasn't a good idea, even decreased performance by 5-7fps or so). Now I'm sort of afraid of that thing and I just use pyffi (which has easily found suggestions to prevent weird things and breaks).

Edit: Apparently I didn't just do my textures folder which probably explains the weirdness. Oops. It seems fine with the new version and my Vram looks lower.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate the Bionic Uterus

% years ago my rig was a beast and leading the pack. Today I am struggling to keep up. Texture optimizer has allowed me to use hi rez texture mods without the ctd I sometimes ran into. It's no big deal to try it. Just make a back up and walk the dog and by the time you get back it's finished.

As far as meshes; http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1172029-relz-oblivion-pyffi-optimization-kit/

this seems to be the thing these days.\

cheers

Archived