Better Cities Graphics Problems

Boronboy

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone who is more tech savvy that I am can clear this up for me. So I recently got a new laptop with the express intention of using it for gaming, after running the specs past my cousin (who is an IT wiz by trade) he said it all looked good. Anyway it works great can play stuff like Far Cry4/GTA 5 on high settings without any problem. 

However whenever I try to use a mod that overhauls all the cities, Better Cities or the 2 open variety ones I get a CTD on either of the top 2 graphics settings. It works fine on Medium and below if they're the only mods turned on, but the game plays fine even on top levels settings with things like UL turned on. At first I thought it was something to change in the INI file but that hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone please try to explain why this is happening with these mods as I really don't understand this at all.

Can your laptop run Better cities ?

Even with a PC the frame rate goes down.

At start you have a setting menu and can disable "extra stuff" in many cities ( e.g. barrels )

And Oblivion is old ! Oblivion only use 512 RAM and only part of the Graphics card memory. Maybe Better cities must have more than 512 MB.

Do you use the 4GB patch ? ( the game use more than 512 MB RAM )

And you can use ENB Boost ( for ram and GPU )

Read my yellow Link below. Tools

--------------------------

I have a PC ( can run Skyrim but not at highest settings, Can't run Witcher3 and Fallout4 )

I have all UL Mods  but only 4 Parts of  Better cities ( Skingrad, Leyaviin, IC harbor, IC Better Arboretum )

So when I first tried to use it, it was near enough a clean install only things on the system other than the Better cities mods where the OBSE plugins silent voice, blockhead, stutter removal  and advanced camera controls and the Better Cities files were installed using WYre Wizard and then Bossed into the assigned order. So what I have listed is a stable load order for the mods that I have installed atm along with the inactive better cities stuff. As I am setting up Oblivion in stages I have only got the UI/ Graphics/ Big Changes mods to making sure they are working.

Oblivion.esm

All Natural Base.esm
Harvest[Containers].esm
Harvest[Containers] - Flat-Top Barrels Add-on.esm
Harvest[Containers] - Havok Crates Add-on.esm
Harvest[Containers] - Player Home Add-on.esm
Better Cities Resources.esm
bookplacing.esm
CM Partners.esm
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp
Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Better Cities .esp
All Natural.esp
All Natural - SI.esp
Immersive Interiors.esp
All Natural - Real Lights.esp
WindowLightingSystem.esp
Camping.esp
RAEVWD Cities.esp
RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp
RAEVWD Imperial City.esp
Enhanced Economy.esp
CleanQuit.esp
FormID Finder4.esp
Spell Delete And Item Remove.esp
HouseMapMarkers.esp
Enhanced Hotkeys.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
Knights.esp
Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
xuldarkforest.esp
xulStendarrValley.esp
xulTheHeath.esp
xulEntiusGorge.esp
xulFallenleafEverglade.esp
xulColovianHighlands_EV.esp
xulChorrolHinterland.esp
xulBeachesOfCyrodiilLostCoast.esp
xulBravilBarrowfields.esp
xulLushWoodlands.esp
xulAncientYews.esp
xulAncientRedwoods.esp
xulCloudtopMountains.esp
xulArriusCreek.esp
xulPatch_AY_AC.esp
xulRollingHills_EV.esp
xulPantherRiver.esp
xulRiverEthe.esp
xulBrenaRiverRavine.esp
xulImperialIsle.esp
xulBlackwoodForest.esp
xulCheydinhalFalls.esp
xulAspenWood.esp
xulSkingradOutskirts.esp
xulSnowdale.esp
xulCliffsOfAnvil.esp
xulSilverfishRiverValley.esp
xulJerallGlacier.esp
xulTheEasternPeaks.esp
Better Cities - House Price Patch.esp
HUD Status Bars.esp
Enhanced Economy - House prices.esp
Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp
SM Combat Hide.esp
Oblivion XP.esp
CM Partners.esp
CM Partners More NPCs.esp
CM Partners Marker NPCs.esp
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp
Better Cities Full.esp
Better Imperial City.esp
Better Cities Chorrol - Immersive Interiors.esp
Better Cities - All Natural.esp
Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp
Better Cities - Alternative Start Arrive by Ship.esp
Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp
Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp
Think to Yourself.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Also installed is ENB and Cinematic ENB preset

I didn't know about the 4gb patch and all the rest of those, it would make sense then since Oblivion has that 512mb limit maybe that is why changing the ini didn't seem to help. I will download those tools and try again. Thank you for the advice so far.

Between RAEVWD (textures that will kill your Frame rate) and CM partners (firing scripts all the time) and XL (again, textures) you are going to be killing your lappy.  What you need to keep in mind is Oblivion is an old game.  I repeat, old game.  It uses one core on your CPU.  It will bottleneck itself just due to being an old game.  You need to be very careful about what you are running mod wise.  Thinking you can play a modern game on high settings and Oblivion maxed out is not going to pan out, as you are finding out.

I do recommend the 4gb patch, but it will take more than that.  Keep doing what you are doing in building your game slowly and testing as you go.  If you find something killing your frame rate, be prepared to dump it and move to something else.  The good news, is there are lots of different mods for most things.

Holler if you get stuck.

Cheers.

Thank you guys for the advice. It is now running with all mods bar RAEVWD and my enb preset on high graphics at an okay click. And a good 45fps on normal. I will probably take out CM if I dont fall in love with a partner. 

One final question if I may be so bold do you guys thinking modifying the INI beyond the usual turning the borders of is okay or should you not even muck about with the ini memory loading settings?

If you use ENB boost you must not change the Oblivion ini for better performance. And you have stutter removal. Both use their own ini.

You can change the Oblivion ini

AllowScreenShot

Disable Intro Sequence

Instant Level Up

and disable the ugly and buggy vampire changes

Think most of the above changes you can do in the WryeBash settings ( but not sure , I don't use Wrye Bash )

Archived