The Pit (Hardcore/Metal Mod)

Regallag

This is just an idea, and I don't even know if it would be possible (even after Beth releases GECK) but it's too cool to not share.

I understand that Fallout takes place in an alternate universe where 1950's culture never went out of style. In fact, that's one of the things I like about it. But with the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest coming up, it occurs to me that, that the post-war wasteland is METAL AS FUCK! The weak die and the strong thrive; murderers can find gainful employment; tire irons with axe blades welded to them and flamethrower swords exist; brutality is a survival trait. Heavy metal and hardcore need to exist in such a world.

What the Commonwealth needs is a metal/hardcore concert venue. I can see it now: the Sole Survivor walks into a poorly lit building, expecting it to be full of enemies, but instead he hears a wasteland cover band playing [Redacted]** or [redacted]** or [redacted]** and sees wasteland residents (including ghouls, synths, and supermutants) whipped into a frenzy, going nuts in mosh pits and circle pits, people crowd surfing*. There should be someone demanding a few caps for entrance and telling you to keep your weapon holstered. Maybe a couple of quests to find pre-war instruments or underground holotape records or some such.

I even know the perfect name for the place: THE PIT

*This is the hard part. I have no idea if it would be possible to animate the crowd at a metal show.

**EDIT: Since I've decided to make this into a mod I'm not going to name any bands until I've contacted them and gotten their permission.

Meh it's possible. Would just be alot of work to get it done. Repetitive animations for moshy pit peoples. Bit of animation for the music players. Not to mention textures needed for the equipment and whatever else would fit to it. Lol

If you find some animators and creators you might be in business.

I hadn't even thought about textures for the instruments. Another thing I don't know how to do. I've already decided that I'm going to get started on making the venue, complete with imported music and posters, as soon as I can get my hands on GECK. I'm going to base the interior on the Palladium in Worcester, MA, although I might not be able to put it in the right place, due to the size of the map and the area covered by the glowing sea.

Edit: I just compared a real map to the Commonwealth. It's definitely too small for Worcester.

you might consider adding "the ghost inside" and "make them suffer". i know hard vocals aren't for everyone, but i think it'd be neat to have, even if its mildly unimmersive.

There's nothing wrong with those bands, but I'm planning to focus on bands from the Northeast USA. Don't worry there's plenty of metalcore around here.

If you want different music, though, it should be relatively easy put it in yourself. I remember Skyrim's Bathing Beauties Luxury Suite had an addon that let you put your own music in. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but the hardest part was finding a program to convert my music from .mp3 and .wav files into the file types that Skyrim used.

But thanks for the idea. All I can do without the creation kit is plan.

I've given quite a bit of thought to music styles, since they will play a large part in a mod

I have planned (assuming the GECK isn't a useless piece of junk). I envision something

more along the lines of psychobilly as the dominant hard music style. Think of The Cramps,

but truly scary musicians playing truly scary music. Also, the transistor was never invented,

so no Maestro Fuzzes, no Fuzzfaces, no Tube Screamers, Big Muffs or Ratts; just musicians

burning up godawful quantities of tubes and speakers to get 'the sound' :lol:  I would envision

a lot of junk instruments too, steel drums, car hubcaps, 1-3 string guitars with no frets, 1 string

basses, guitarists playing through modified radios and console HiFi's etc.

Whoops. Not sure how that happened. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35297/

Thanks! I don't have the foggiest idea how convert textures and meshes from FNV to FO4, but I should be able to figure it out. Animation is far too complicated for me, I get a head ache when people like fore talking technical.

I've given quite a bit of thought to music styles, since they will play a large part in a mod

I have planned (assuming the GECK isn't a useless piece of junk). I envision something

more along the lines of psychobilly as the dominant hard music style. Think of The Cramps,

but truly scary musicians playing truly scary music. Also, the transistor was never invented,

so no Maestro Fuzzes, no Fuzzfaces, no Tube Screamers, Big Muffs or Ratts; just musicians

burning up godawful quantities of tubes and speakers to get 'the sound' :lol:  I would envision

a lot of junk instruments too, steel drums, car hubcaps, 1-3 string guitars with no frets, 1 string

basses, guitarists playing through modified radios and console HiFi's etc.

Psychobilly does seem more lore-friendly, but I'm a metal guy. I'm going to do what I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some planning and there are some things that I'm unsure about. I might as well turn this over to the people of LL and see what you have to say.

This mod will contain a side quest where the player has to find pre-war instruments. There will be one quest for each instrument: guitar, bass, drums, microphone. I'm not sure if I should add a quest for another guitar, a keyboard, or neither.

There's going to be a repeatable quest or two where you spread the word about The Pit. I realize that no one really knows what the Fallout 4 CK will be able to do, but based on what we do know, should it be possible to put more people into a location upon completion of a quest? Or is that something that I should wait until later?

Putting more people in there is actually the easiest thing to do out of everything you've listed so far.

Good! I want it to start looking like an undersold show (and I've seen a few of those, unfortunately) and end up looking like people broke down the doors to get in.

One quest I plan to put in will be talking to unnamed NPCs and convincing them to come see the show at The Pit. It'll have a difficult "charisma check" because, honestly, it's hard to put into words why metal shows are so much fun. I'm pretty damn good with words I've never been able to explain it to people who haven't experienced it.

Archived