Changing save location?

This method is unrelated to MO.

1)  Go to Documents > my games > Skyrim.

2)  Open Skyrim.ini in Notepad and under [GENERAL] add this line:

SLocalSavePath=<new folder location of game saves>\

Example:  SLocalSavePath=C:\Skyrim\Saves\

3)  Next, go to your Skyrim directory, open SkyrimEditor.ini and locate the 'SLocalSavePath' line and change to path to your new location.

If for some reason you need to revert the game save path to default, just delete the custom path and add 'Saves\'.

Example:  SLocalSavePath=Saves\

3)  Next, go to your Skyrim directory, open SkyrimEditor.ini and locate the 'SLocalSavePath' line and change to path to your new location.

If for some reason you need to revert the game save path to default, just delete the custom path and add 'Saves\'.

Thanks for answering. I haven't SkyrimEditor.ini in my directory, is it normal?

Thanks for answering. I haven't SkyrimEditor.ini in my directory, is it normal?

SkyrimEditor.ini is in your Skyrim location.

Follow the path ( c: or where is your steam mine is on different HardDisk) so --> C:/Steam / Steamapps / common / Skyrim 

all the files of the game are here go down locate SkyrimLauncher.exe above it there are SkyrimEditor.ini and SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini

inside SkyrimEditor.ini Category General

[General]
bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1
bUseVersionControl=0
bUseMyGamesDirectory=0
SLocalSavePath=Saves\  <------ Here is your file which you can change

hope it helped.

SkyrimEditor.ini is in your Skyrim location.

Follow the path ( c: or where is your steam mine is on different HardDisk) so --> C:/Steam / Steamapps / common / Skyrim 

all the files of the game are here go down locate SkyrimLauncher.exe above it there are SkyrimEditor.ini and SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini

inside SkyrimEditor.ini Category General

[General]
bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1
bUseVersionControl=0
bUseMyGamesDirectory=0
SLocalSavePath=Saves\  <------ Here is your file which you can change

hope it helped.

Thanks for the answer. I did a research and it appears that this skyrimeditor.ini appears only if you run the creation kit but I haven't even downloaded it yet

Yeah, forgot to explain that SkyrimEditor.ini is located in the Skyrim game folder.  If not mistaken, if you don't have the Creation Kit installed then you will not have SkyrimEditor.ini so any edits to the file is not necessary.

I see, so then should I only paste the line you wrote in skyrim.ini, right? Should I change the one inside MO only or even the one in my documents folder?

Yeah, forgot to explain that SkyrimEditor.ini is located in the Skyrim game folder.  If not mistaken, if you don't have the Creation Kit installed then you will not have SkyrimEditor.ini so any edits to the file is not necessary.

I see, so then should I only paste the line you wrote in skyrim.ini, right? Should I change the one inside MO only or even the one in my documents folder?

It would not hurt to do both.  Try MO's Skyrim.ini first then, if you have a reason, edit the INI in the Document folder.

Thanks for the answer, I do already use MO but i wasn't aware that you could change where the game puts the save. Could you tell me please how do I change that please?

With MO, you can either use the default save location for all profiles, which is a bad idea IMO, or each profile can have its own save folder (e.g. C:\SkyrimMO\profiles\my_profile\saves\), for that you need to enable local saves option for each profile you have.

Archived