Switching Bodyslides In Game

Karna5

Hello.  I play my Fallout 4 with Physics enabled which means anytime I build a new body shape I need to not only fix the shapes of all the outfits, armor and clothing pieces to the new bodyslide preset but also need to then individually add physics to each NIF. The bodyslide changes only take about 10 minutes for a couple of hundred outfits and pieces, but adding physics takes about four hours for me.

Although I liked the body I'd made for my character, I saw the one my girlfriend made and was envious. So when Cell and Caliente released updates to CBBE I figured it was a good opportunity to rebuild everything. I spent four hours doing it, and then after playing with the new physique felt a bit of remorse because I missed the original one. But I didn't feel like redoing everything all over again.

So this time I picked various outfits I don't usually wear, and I made each of them a nude body (with physics) using different bodyslide presets. Then I went into the armor crafting table and named each outfits to indicate which preset it was. Now I can switch between eight different nude bodies in game at will. I can't use armor with each of those nude outfits (because the armor is the wrong presets), but I can put ballistic nylon and shielding on them and get okay protection that way.  Plus Armorsmith extended offers various invisible armors anyway.

The following is how I add physics to the clothing NIFs. If there's a better way to do it I'd be grateful for the information.

Step One - using bodyslide, build my CBBE physics nude body with selected preset

Step Two - using bodyslide, build all outfits/armor to the same preset

Step Three - adding physics to individual NIFs:

- open outfit studio

- load outfit from file: data/meshes/actors/character/CharacterAssets/FemaleBody.nif

- find the NIF of the body which will get physics and click and drag it over the picture of the body in outfit studio. For instance, if converting grognak outfit, I'd drag data/meshes/clothes/Grognak/Foutfit.nif into outfit studio

- at this stage outfit studio shows CBBE (the original body) and all the new pieces of the new armor. I right click and "copy bone weights" on all the new pieces. That takes the physics from the first body and puts it into the pieces of the new outfit/armor.

- now I delete the original CBBE because I don't need it. (alternately, if I don't like the CBBE the outfit might have, or if I want to zap items that don't have a body under them, I keep the full CBBE and zap the outfit's CBBE. This might take tweaking of the outfit to fit the new body.)

- then I export NIF over the outfit I'm updating. For example, in the case of the grognak outfit, I would export onto that Grognak/Foutfit.nif

I repeat this for all armor pieces that touch the torso and for all clothing. But it takes a long time.

So now what I've done is instead of switching everything to new bodies I temporarily build CBBE Physics to the new preset, then I pick an outfit and convert it to that preset. Then I put my CBBE Physics back to the preset which all my armors have.

The only thing I don't know how to do with this procedure is to give breast physics to skirted outfits like the Drifter jacket. If I copy the breast phyics, I lose the skirt physics. But like I said above, maybe there's a better way which would also let me keep the skirt physics when adding the breast physics.

Either way, I'm just sharing this in case anyone finds it helpful. Thanks.

At some point, I'll try this out.  Still pretty much a noober at OS though.  Was just scanning the site for help on doing a Skyrim mod conversion to FO4 as my first attempt.  Going over the Tutorials so graciously provided, but still looking for some details on Skyrim to FO4 in particular.  After a full day away from the game, and no success, I find myself reading all these interesting articles instead of getting down to business (as usual, burning daylight, candlelight, ect...)  I think this one is noteable though, thanks for sharing...

I would assume the process is still the same. You would select exactly these bones and no others, to copy the weights.

Copying (T)BPP/HDT or other bone weights:
A. Click the "Bones" tab to the right.
B. Depending on what you're trying to add ((T)BBP/HDT), CTRL+Click the bones of the following you need:
NPC L Breast, NPC L Breast01, NPC L Butt, NPC R Breast, NPC R Breast01, NPC R Butt and/or NPC Belly.
C. Hit "Shape -> Copy Selected Weights".
D. Repeat step C for each shape of the mesh shown in the shapes tab (highlight them on the right-hand side).
http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25180-unofficial-bodyslide-2outfit-studio-tutorials/

I would assume the process is still the same. You would select exactly these bones and no others, to copy the weights.

Copying (T)BPP/HDT or other bone weights:

A. Click the "Bones" tab to the right.

B. Depending on what you're trying to add ((T)BBP/HDT), CTRL+Click the bones of the following you need:

NPC L Breast, NPC L Breast01, NPC L Butt, NPC R Breast, NPC R Breast01, NPC R Butt and/or NPC Belly.

C. Hit "Shape -> Copy Selected Weights".

D. Repeat step C for each shape of the mesh shown in the shapes tab (highlight them on the right-hand side).

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25180-unofficial-bodyslide-2outfit-studio-tutorials/

I am very grateful for this explanation, Anatriax.

Post script edit:  I just tried to do that, and those bone weights don't seem to exist in Fallout 4. At least you explained the process of copying only certain bones, but now I just need to figure out which bones :)

Post Post script: It's not a big deal at this time. I can't put breast physics into drifter outfit and miniskirts, but everything else works okay :)

Did'nt have any of those on what I'm converting either.  Basically, I'm just starting very small.  I'm taking the shorts out of the Sexy Vampire outfit in Skyrim, and nothing else until I get this to work.  I think all I have left is the textures via the new materials, and I can figure out the esp on my own.  I guess am drifting this thread off course though, so, thanks again, I'll mutter a few words elsewhere... ;)

Well KGRam, I'm sure the process is similar. 
The bones may have different names, but the process SHOULD still be he same.

However, I don't think TRUE body physics will be a reality in FO4 until CK is released, and NifSkope has a chance to be properly updated.

Well KGRam, I'm sure the process is similar. 

The bones may have different names, but the process SHOULD still be he same.

However, I don't think TRUE body physics will be a reality in FO4 until CK is released, and NifSkope has a chance to be properly updated.

The CK won't add any more possibilities for creating physics. We'll have to rely on someone to decode the BSClothExtraData format for us.

On a side note, I can't really recommend trying to convert outfits to the current method of body physics that CBBE uses.

It's a proof-of-concept pre-alpha with bugs. :P

On a side note, I can't really recommend trying to convert outfits to the current method of body physics that CBBE uses.

It's a proof-of-concept pre-alpha with bugs. :P

I'm not an expert like Cell, but I've played around 100 in-game hours with Cell's physics in the game. I agree with Cell that for the standard user (unfamiliar with basic modding) physics should be eschewed. And for actual authors of outfit mods which are used by lots of people, it also should be avoided.

This said, in my opinion it enhances the game immensely.

Drawbacks in current alpha version:

1.  If you play for a few hours and travel far and then walk into a settlement with 20 or 25 female settlers who have physics, 2 or 3 of them may get bugged and need you to switch outfits away and back to restore the physics. (Bugged as in bad sagging)  I've not seen this problem happen to my followers or my character or even to female gunners and raiders. It's specifically an issue with crowds after a long time playing and is similar to the black face bug I get after a long time of play where some of the settlers get black face in a crowd.

2.  You can't switch from physics to non-physics in-game. (But you can switch from non-physics to physics).  For instance, if the character has physics, you can't put on an outfit which doesn't have it unless you reboot the game. This is why I take the time to put physics on almost all outfits.

3.  Whatever you convert to physics today in alpha will need to be reconverted on the final version.

These minor drawbacks aside, the physics work very, very well and look very, very good. It's very un-immersive to me to play without physics.  Even Metal Gear Solid V has physics. Fallout 4 absolutely needs it. All games need it. *Shrugs*

[Thanks for releasing the Alpha version, Cell.]

At current, it seems that the BSClothExtraData is what contains the details for cloth bones names and how to actually animate it. That being the case, you can only have one type of physics per nif file (until someone decodes and figures out how to customize it). That would be, hair, breast, skirt and probably more that I don't know off the top of my head. Those not being the actual names, but what we (community ish) have decided to call them. The solution would be to split up an outfit, having a nif for the chest clothing/armor then another armature referenced in the esp to add an additional nif for something like pants/skirt or what not.

The armature references in the esp can point to many arma records to make up an armor piece.

Like this post-516911-0-15329100-1456362837_thumb.png

This is a bit on the extreme, and I only did it as an experiment but it was functional.

Archived