Ideas for a beheading mod (advice please)

Queen Bee

I get it into my head every once in a while to try modding, but I never do. I'm a career woman, and that career eats up a lot of my free time. That said, I still have a laundry list of mod ideas and one of these days I really want to buckle down and make one. But before I go through the supreme effort of learning how and building it one line of code at a time, I need to know if it's actually possible to get what I want.

Among my many ideas, one I've always wanted is to be executed for my crimes.

H-hey, don't look at me like that! It's not that weird.

I mean, it's something that's always bugged me about Skyrim; I could be the worst person, a multiple murderer, a serial killer. And if I'm caught...I pay a fine? And then everything's okay? No one cares?

No, what I want is to be held truly accountable for my evil ways. I want the threat of death looming over my every murder.

Imagine this scenario:

I've just murdered my fifth victim in Whiterun. The guards are on to me, they know my face. They spot me, give chase, corner me against the wall. Easily outnumbered, I yield and consent to be lead away in chains. Once in my cell, they inform me I'll go before the jarl in the morning for judgement. Morning dawns, the guards bring me before my judge, who frowns down at me from his throne.

"You have been judged guilty of murder and crimes against Whiterun. I order that you are to be taken from this place and beheaded. Guards! Take her away!"

The guards lead me to the chopping block set up in the town square, where a crowd has formed, eagerly cheering my death. I'm forced onto my knees, my neck on the block. A priest offers a prayer for mercy on my soul. The headsman's axe rises, there's a hushed pause, and then the blade falls. My head rolls free in a spurt of blood. The screen slowly fades to black, the collective cheer of the crowd the last thing I hear. Game over.

Now, I need two questions answered:

-Is this possible?

-If not, why?

Entirely possible from the things you said you'd want.

Setting up the scene, applying an imagespace mod to fade out, tracking crimes, removing the head, etc. are all fairly straight forward, but tedious. The one I'm not sure of is how to get the head to actually drop. There might be something in the helgen starting quest scripts that'd give you an idea.

Edit:

Apparently someone did beheading already :-p That makes things a bit easier.

It's possible.

The beheading with an NPC or a copy of player was already done (Maria Eden, AFS, Daymol)

Daymol enslaved by thalmor contains all you need for buidling your own player beheading scene.

Yeah, cloning the PC was the first thing I thought of, though then you miss out on the first person experience. I know the Thalmore mod does first person beheadings, but I've heard it's real buggy for that. I've not heard of those other mods, I'll have to check them out.

Another idea I had was to give you the ability to plead your case to whichever jarl you're brought before, with options to bribe, seduce, or just beg for mercy. Success would be dependant on your speech, or some other ability. But I wonder if that's more work than I want to bite off my first time.

It is possible. Just like how you can die during combat, even be beheaded, you can die in dialogues/cinematics as well.

The animations for the executioner swinging the big axe and the kneeling and placing head over a block are already in the game. Like the starting event at Helgen, or the execution in Solitude.

All non-beast races can be beheaded. All you need is this to be added to beast-races as well. Some mod might have already done that.

Some mods, like Prison Overhaul, already have the "captured and taken" event in them. The same way you are taken to the Jailer and stripped (Prison Overhaul), you could be taken to the Jarl and ordered executed. And the same way you are taken to your punishment (Prison Overhaul), you could be taken to a chopping block for execution.

All it needs is scripting and a place for the execution. Ideally a chopping block somewhere near a square in big cities. Provided that not all criminals are executed in Solitude.

The biggest issue with a mod like this would be the fact that you would try to avoid ever seeing all the work put into the mod, as it would mean the end of your character. It's like painting a fresco on the inside of a crematorium. Nobody would want to see it.

Evil lair of the hydra:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Also contain beheading part not sure if the author ever released the source files though.

Looks like this is something that can be done without much scripting. Decompiled the 2 scripts that come packaged with that mod, and the only stuff in there is for tracking the actors and such. I assume they're doing the beheading via animations and behaviors.

The biggest issue with a mod like this would be the fact that you would try to avoid ever seeing all the work put into the mod, as it would mean the end of your character. It's like painting a fresco on the inside of a crematorium. Nobody would want to see it.

Maybe that big dragon will pop up again to save you from timely death. :P

Maybe that big dragon will pop up again to save you from timely death. :P

Well, I suppose I could throw in a percentage for a last minute rescue, like if your follower attacks as a distraction. But again, that sounds like a lot of extra work.

And while it does seem like a lot to go through to make something most people won't see, people like me would just for the experience. Taking the fresco in a crematorium analogy, I'm exactly the sort to want to see it.

Hahaha, spot on. I have always thought the whole "I just murdered half the town here is 10,000 gold k thanks bye" thing to be a bit ridiculous. I have looked for a mod similar to this before and found nothing aside from Daymol. It would be neat to see something like this implemented, as committing heinous crime in Skyrim seemingly has no repercussions.

Hahaha, spot on. I have always thought the whole "I just murdered half the town here is 10,000 gold k thanks bye" thing to be a bit ridiculous. I have looked for a mod similar to this before and found nothing aside from Daymol. It would be neat to see something like this implemented, as committing heinous crime in Skyrim seemingly has no repercussions.

That's the main reason I want this mod. First and foremost, it's an immersion preference. I'll never really feel part of the world until I feel like my actions have true consequences. Another idea I had was a funeral/mourning mod that would make each death feel like a real loss. But one thing at a time, yanno.

It is possible. Just like how you can die during combat, even be beheaded, you can die in dialogues/cinematics as well.

The animations for the executioner swinging the big axe and the kneeling and placing head over a block are already in the game. Like the starting event at Helgen, or the execution in Solitude.

All non-beast races can be beheaded. All you need is this to be added to beast-races as well. Some mod might have already done that.

Some mods, like Prison Overhaul, already have the "captured and taken" event in them. The same way you are taken to the Jailer and stripped (Prison Overhaul), you could be taken to the Jarl and ordered executed. And the same way you are taken to your punishment (Prison Overhaul), you could be taken to a chopping block for execution.

All it needs is scripting and a place for the execution. Ideally a chopping block somewhere near a square in big cities. Provided that not all criminals are executed in Solitude.

Aliases are the keep : dont use actor, just forceref to aliases, and use these aliases for the beheading scene.

Beheading the player is complicated : I already tried to do that, and the execution lever his axe, but stop before choping the head...

The best scene for player beheading is in Daymol, but it's work sometimes...

For an NPC, in another hand, it's very simple and work pretty well... I beheaded 10 of my useless followers in TID and AFS just for tests ! (yes, Yui followers too !)

Evil lair of the hydra:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Also contain beheading part not sure if the author ever released the source files though.

Looks like this is something that can be done without much scripting. Decompiled the 2 scripts that come packaged with that mod, and the only stuff in there is for tracking the actors and such. I assume they're doing the beheading via animations and behaviors.

This script are linked to a lever... it doesn't solve the animation problem.

Okay, so far it seems like at least conceptually this is a sound idea. All of the parts of this have been done in other mods, it's just a matter of bringing them together in mine. So...shit, where do I begin?

Simple :

- download the mods which contains the scene you want : Daymol, be highking of skyrim, AFS, TID.

- open one of them in CK : try to find the scene in question  (In daymol, tag is thalmor, highking I don't use, AFS and TID, it's in dialogues quests). Beheading is not a quest, it's a scene : when you open a quest, you will see a scene onglet.

- study how things works (packages list) : you will two types of pakages : some lead the actor to a marker, and some to the choping block.

- study also the condtionnals : they are here to be sure the packages will be completed before advance to the next scene stage.

- dont hesitate to contact people about your script, it's the best way for learning.

That's the main reason I want this mod. First and foremost, it's an immersion preference. I'll never really feel part of the world until I feel like my actions have true consequences. Another idea I had was a funeral/mourning mod that would make each death feel like a real loss. But one thing at a time, yanno.

The closest thing I've seen to funerals is Clean up Your Corpses. It allows the player to pick up and process dead characters, and even the method of setting them down again. You can place them down as impaled corpses, charred corpses or bury them which leaves behind graves that can be interacted with. I.e.: "Here lies Lydia. May she elude the traps in the afterlife."

Okay, so far it seems like at least conceptually this is a sound idea. All of the parts of this have been done in other mods, it's just a matter of bringing them together in mine. So...shit, where do I begin?

Simple :

- download the mods which contains the scene you want : Daymol, be highking of skyrim, AFS, TID.

- open one of them in CK : try to find the scene in question  (In daymol, tag is thalmor, highking I don't use, AFS and TID, it's in dialogues quests). Beheading is not a quest, it's a scene : when you open a quest, you will see a scene onglet.

- study how things works (packages list) : you will two types of pakages : some lead the actor to a marker, and some to the choping block.

- study also the condtionnals : they are here to be sure the packages will be completed before advance to the next scene stage.

- dont hesitate to contact people about your script, it's the best way for learning.

Well, that certainly sounds simple enough. I somehow suspect it'll be a lot harder once I open it up in the CK.

I need to break this down into parts and prioritize each section, then figure out if I can just pull code from other mods and plug them into mine (if that's allowed. I don't want to be a code-stealing bitch if it's a community no-no).

The parts I see are:

1.) The conditions for arrest. I need to tell the mod to check to see if the PC has killed someone that is illegal to kill. Bandits and other mobs should be allowed, but of course merchants, farmers, guards, children, etc, should trigger the mod. From that point on, you're wanted in that particular hold just like normal.

2.) The mod needs to keep track of murders in each hold. You're not getting executed in Riften for a murder you committed in Whiterun, so the tally has to be kept separate.

3.) The arrest. The usual dialog should play out, but perhaps with added text that tells you you're under arrest for murder and that you face execution. You're permitted to either submit or fight your way out, as usual. Perhaps throw in the ability to flaunt your Dragonborn status as a get-out-of-execution card, but you can only play that card once.

4.) To jail with you! You are marched to a jail cell. This should play out like with Prison Overhaul, though the default will be to remain clothed. You will be disarmed of all weapons, scrolls, and potions. There should be the option to skip ahead to when you're put in jail, as with Prison Overhaul. As a possible bonus feature, have NPCs hurl insults as you pass.

5.) Awaiting trial. The guards inform you you'll be brought before the jarl in the morning to stand trial. You can attempt to escape, as usual, but if you're caught you're brought before the jarl immediately and his judgement will be summarily against you. You can also just let it play out, with the option to 'serve your time' bringing you to the moment the guards come to take you to the jarl.

6.) Order in the court! Day breaks and the guards lead you to the jarl, who explains you stand accused of murder and asks how you plea. I've decided you get one last chance to get out of it. You can plea guilty or not guilty, but both options lead you to three choices:

• 6a) Beg for Mercy. You beg the jarl to let you go, just this once, you're super sorry and you pinky swear it'll never happen again. This will depend on the jarl (some are more lenient than others), and your speech level, but you stand a certain chance of success.

• 6b) Bribe. You offer the jarl a bag full of gold in exchange for freedom. This also depends on the jarl (some are less greedy and more civic minded than others), and on how much gold you offer. Offer too little, and they'll dismiss it out of hand. Offer too much and you may insult them by suggesting they're greedy.

• 6c) Seduce. You offer the jarl special 'services' in exchange for freedom. Success depends on the jarl's gender and sexual orientation, as well as how attractive they find the PC. If I can plug this into SexLab framework, the scene could be played out in full. Otherwise it just fades to black, and the game assumes you did the deed.

Each of these have variable levels of success, but all come with diminished returns; a jarl that turned a blind eye once is much less likely to do it again, since people will start to talk. Get caught too many times and they'll order your execution without even giving you the option to speak.

7.) To the chopping block! If all this fails and you're found guilty of murder, you are lead in chains to a public place, where the executioner stands waiting with a crowd of eager onlookers. You're forced to your knees, etc, etc, your head rolls, game over. I really want to do it first person, but if that proves too buggy I can have the PC walk to the block, fade to black, clone the PC, move the PC to a spot in the crowd to watch (with a fixed camera), fade back in, and have the cloned PC be the one executed. The fade to black and game over screen might be tricky, as I'm not entirely sure you can have a game over that doesn't result from the PC's death.

So those are the parts I need to complete for this to work. I think first priority should be to see if I can even make the game tell the difference between 'wanted for crime' and 'wanted for murder', then go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simple :

Well, that certainly sounds simple enough. I somehow suspect it'll be a lot harder once I open it up in the CK.

I need to break this down into parts and prioritize each section, then figure out if I can just pull code from other mods and plug them into mine (if that's allowed. I don't want to be a code-stealing bitch if it's a community no-no).

The parts I see are:

1.) The conditions for arrest. I need to tell the mod to check to see if the PC has killed someone that is illegal to kill. Bandits and other mobs should be allowed, but of course merchants, farmers, guards, children, etc, should trigger the mod. From that point on, you're wanted in that particular hold just like normal.

2.) The mod needs to keep track of murders in each hold. You're not getting executed in Riften for a murder you committed in Whiterun, so the tally has to be kept separate.

3.) The arrest. The usual dialog should play out, but perhaps with added text that tells you you're under arrest for murder and that you face execution. You're permitted to either submit or fight your way out, as usual. Perhaps throw in the ability to flaunt your Dragonborn status as a get-out-of-execution card, but you can only play that card once.

4.) To jail with you! You are marched to a jail cell. This should play out like with Prison Overhaul, though the default will be to remain clothed. You will be disarmed of all weapons, scrolls, and potions. There should be the option to skip ahead to when you're put in jail, as with Prison Overhaul. As a possible bonus feature, have NPCs hurl insults as you pass.

5.) Awaiting trial. The guards inform you you'll be brought before the jarl in the morning to stand trial. You can attempt to escape, as usual, but if you're caught you're brought before the jarl immediately and his judgement will be summarily against you. You can also just let it play out, with the option to 'serve your time' bringing you to the moment the guards come to take you to the jarl.

6.) Order in the court! Day breaks and the guards lead you to the jarl, who explains you stand accused of murder and asks how you plea. I've decided you get one last chance to get out of it. You can plea guilty or not guilty, but both options lead you to three choices:

• 6a) Beg for Mercy. You beg the jarl to let you go, just this once, you're super sorry and you pinky swear it'll never happen again. This will depend on the jarl (some are more lenient than others), and your speech level, but you stand a certain chance of success.

• 6b) Bribe. You offer the jarl a bag full of gold in exchange for freedom. This also depends on the jarl (some are less greedy and more civic minded than others), and on how much gold you offer. Offer too little, and they'll dismiss it out of hand. Offer too much and you may insult them by suggesting they're greedy.

• 6c) Seduce. You offer the jarl special 'services' in exchange for freedom. Success depends on the jarl's gender and sexual orientation, as well as how attractive they find the PC. If I can plug this into SexLab framework, the scene could be played out in full. Otherwise it just fades to black, and the game assumes you did the deed.

Each of these have variable levels of success, but all come with diminished returns; a jarl that turned a blind eye once is much less likely to do it again, since people will start to talk. Get caught too many times and they'll order your execution without even giving you the option to speak.

7.) To the chopping block! If all this fails and you're found guilty of murder, you are lead in chains to a public place, where the executioner stands waiting with a crowd of eager onlookers. You're forced to your knees, etc, etc, your head rolls, game over. I really want to do it first person, but if that proves too buggy I can have the PC walk to the block, fade to black, clone the PC, move the PC to a spot in the crowd to watch (with a fixed camera), fade back in, and have the cloned PC be the one executed. The fade to black and game over screen might be tricky, as I'm not entirely sure you can have a game over that doesn't result from the PC's death.

So those are the parts I need to complete for this to work. I think first priority should be to see if I can even make the game tell the difference between 'wanted for crime' and 'wanted for murder', then go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 : the game already recognize people who are not allowed to hurt. (crimefactions)

2 : the game already done that too (the amount of the bounty)

3 : arrest is already performed by the game. You can made a condtionnal, and says "upper 3000 gold bounty", you're sentenced to death.

4 : just a scene and a disable player AI

5 : scene

6 : scene and dialogues

7 : scene...

1 : the game already recognize people who are not allowed to hurt. (crimefactions)

2 : the game already done that too (the amount of the bounty)

3 : arrest is already performed by the game. You can made a condtionnal, and says "upper 3000 gold bounty", you're sentenced to death.

4 : just a scene and a disable player AI

5 : scene

6 : scene and dialogues

7 : scene...

Well, what I want is for the game to separate murder from all other crime and have unique events occur after the PC is arrested for it. If I set it to just the bounty level, people will be getting executed for theft, which isn't unrealistic, I know, but perhaps a bit more than I want. If I were to separate all crime into categories and decided which were heinous enough to warrant beheading, I'd be at this for years.

The part where you plea your case and beg/bribe/seduce the jarl requires more than dialog, I'm sure, since the game has to check values for your speech, your gold, and (somehow) your attractiveness to the jarl, as well as take into consideration any modifiers that might affect the outcome. But that's for later, right now I'm focusing on just getting the game to treat murder as separate from all other crimes. I posted a separate forum thread about this, and I'm doing my own research, but I would greatly appreciate any further help.

• 3 months later...

I gave up once again. I really did try this time, and got as far as figuring out I might be able to create a separate "murderer" state for my script to run on, but then everything else got to be too complicated. I'm a full time teacher, I simply don't have the time to learn how to do this.

*sigh*

Maybe one of you nice people will take this over?

Archived