NifSkope Rendering Issues.

I'm trying to view a new vegas armor in nifskope but when ever I try to rendering the textures it keep picking up Oblivion instead of New Vegas.

Any ideas?

1. Have you installed the textures or are they in some random place?

A. If some random place you need to go to the render option at the top of nifskope and select settings and add that folder via the custom section.

B. If installed then go to the render option at the top of nifskope and select settings and then hit the auto detect game paths button. If that doesn't work then add the data folder for new vegas via the custom section.

That should fix things up for you. If not then the mesh may have a screwed up texture path and that is a different deal that I can go into if the above doesn't work.

Here is some background that might help you understand nifskope:

First, NifSkope is designed to not be specific to any game. So you probably should expect to want to change its configuration when you work on different games. Personally, I think it would be nice to have a per-game nifskope (because nifskope also does not seem to support converting files between different games, except through export to some other format and then import), but I did not write it so that is not my decision.

Second, NifSkope gets textures from two different kinds of places: It gets textures from BSA files and it get textures from directories that have texture files in them (the "Data" directory for your game(s)).

To configure where your game's (or games') BSA files are located, you go to the File menu and then select the "Resource Files" option (it's the second-to-last option on that menu). I usually use the Add button and manually browse to the BSA texture files I want it to use. I think [but I have not tested this recently] that it searches the list from top to bottom and stops when it finds a matching texture in a bsa file.

To configure where your game's (games') loose files are located, you go to the Render menu and select the "Settings..." option (that's the last one on that menu). Then there's a list of folders right in the middle of the Rendering tab, in the "Custom" block. Here, there's the "Auto Detect Game Paths" button, but I usually like to use the "Add Folder" button (that gives me a blank folder), it will be selected but no folder will have been choosen -- but you can click the "Folder" button down at the bottom to select a folder. The folder you select should be a "Data" folder. And, here, the folders in this list are searched (the top folder first), and the first match is used for the texture for your model. If no matching file is found in any folder, it then checks your bsa files.

Note that when you change a folder that does not change how your model looks. You can get the model to update, usually, by moving a folder in the list (and then you probably want to move it back, which will update, again, model how your model looks). If that does not work, you can load the model again -- that always updates how it looks.

Archived