Armor Conversion Question

Jerbsinator

So I have been seriously thinking about trying out my hand at converting some armors I like to megaoppai but I need to know a few things first.

Firstly, it seems like the best programs to use are either 3dsmax or blender. So I'm wondering which one is better and / or easier to use?

Second, Is there a good tutorial available that explains how to convert armors for Oblivion without having to read a huge amount of information beforehand? I realize that you can't simply jump into modelling and get it right away but I don't want to burn my brain out before I even start making anything. I found one tutorial on here that seems to be pretty helpful but it wasn't dumbed down enough for me to understand.

And third, what will I need besides a 3d modelling program? I heard you need Python for Blender, as well as some kind of nif script. I believe that I have Python 2.6 or 2.7 (for Wyrebash) but I heard Blender isn't compatible with Python 2.7 (I REALLY don't want to go through that stupid python installation again).

Any help in this would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Skagg asked this a while back but never received an answer...which I am curious about now. I found that with proportional editing it is somewhat simple to convert armors, only problem is both breasts do not remain symmetrical, which is a problem. I'm just wondering if there is a way to mirror one half of a mesh or copy paste or what. I am going to be going through the 3D noob to pro tutorial which will (hopefully) teach me all this stuff but I want to see if I can make some progress on conversions in the meantime.

Tools -> Mirror... -> clone

even better

slice the plane through the middle and it will make it a lot easier to select exactly half of the mesh.

Edit: NM, your using blender? I got to learn that myself. Must've got confused with some other thread...

Using Blender' date=' in edit mode: Select the part you want to mirror, Hold shift+D to copy, select Mesh -> Mirror -> X Global. Then Mesh -> Normals -> Flip. Make sure proportional editing is off, and reposition the mesh.

That's how I do it, anyway.

[/quote']

So do I have to delete the other side of the mesh? And if so, how do I get it all reconnected again correctly? I got it to mirror it's just placing it is proving difficult for me.

So do I have to delete the other side of the mesh? And if so' date=' how do I get it all reconnected again correctly? I got it to mirror it's just placing it is proving difficult for me.

[/quote']

You only delete the side you want replaced.

There's a process in this tutorial (pages 8 to 12 in the pdf) that you should be able to use. once you've "snapped" all the verts together, select both sides, got to Mesh -> Vertices -> Remove Doubles.

One of these days, I just might have to try doing a few video tutorials. Very difficult for me to explain things in text only.

So do I have to delete the other side of the mesh? And if so' date=' how do I get it all reconnected again correctly? I got it to mirror it's just placing it is proving difficult for me.

[/quote']

You only delete the side you want replaced.

There's a process in this tutorial (pages 8 to 12 in the pdf) that you should be able to use. once you've "snapped" all the verts together, select both sides, got to Mesh -> Vertices -> Remove Doubles.

One of these days, I just might have to try doing a few video tutorials. Very difficult for me to explain things in text only.

I like the idea of a video tutorial.

Archived