Alternate Start

So what are your favorite alt start mods ?

For me, this one is perhaps my all time favorite.

You arrive by ship to either IC or Anvil (tho I still wonder how IC has ships, when there is no water route to the sea in vanilla, lol bethesda quality strikes again) and have to fill out immigration forms (char setup) as well as selecting information on your background/diseases, all of which affects your starting gear.

While it could use an update (it's an awesome mod regardless) with more options perhaps, it is still one of my 'must have' mods for playing oblivion. Whenever I do a reinstall, I dig up the .zip of this.

7902-2-1195170734.jpg

16) Main Quest Delayer (version 3)

You're no longer forced to play the main quest. You start off in Anvil (having just arrived by ship from another province). The Emperor is still alive and Kvatch has not yet been invaded. To start the main quest, simply commit a crime and surrender to an Imperial Watch Captain or Commander. The main quest will not start if you are arrested by a regular guard.

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7902

Download MOE Other Plugins and use M.O.E. Main Quest Delayer.esp, remember to install meshes and textures from this package too.

Tustarting options.

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=25591

Highly highly highly recommended! Incredibly immersive dreamscape, and 45 different start options.

Oddly enough I've found this compatible with

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=19949

Having both installed worked fine for me. Tustart overwrites starting in Anvil, but having Kvatch alive works as expected. Personally tested the main quest can be started via the second mods method, though in theory both ways should work.

Don't disable either plugin, my Load order was oddly enough Tustarting first, THEN MoE. (The game uses Tustarting regardless, but you need to have MoE overwrite the Tustarting gameworld tweaks). If you disable either plugin, the game will CTD when you start the tutorial.

Both come highly recommended, having them both on however, might be risky. It has worked fine for me, but if everything breaks, don't blame me xD. It may break under different load order conditions.

But I have to say, having both on has been an amazingly immerse experience for me.

That sounds pretty fucking neat actually.

Even though I reinstalled oblivion recently, It'll likely be a while til I do another serious replay, but that very well may be on my list of mods to use.

My main problem is that oblivion (or any bethesda game really) is such a weak RPG that unless you RP the basic hack n slash hero characther who does the main quest, you have very limited options, other than leading the mages guild, figthers guild, and the dark brotherhood all at once.

Which in itself breaks immersion even worse because you'd think such an action would get heavy note, rather than random comment on 'you look like you swing axes. By the way I saw a mudcrab the other day'

Situations like that are usually followed by a save, then some shutting someone up then STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM then loading a saved game.

But yeah, heavily modded is really the only way to go, but too few mods that add serious roleplay quests, most are reletivley linear, or just too freeform to be a replacement for the content bethesda failed to add.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone. With this Tustarting mod, I started in Skingrad. Thus, had Rosethorn hall and all of the upgrades. So, I go and hire Eyja. Well, when I talked to her, and chose either food or drink as options, she didn't give the food/drink and said "I'd love to milord, but we don't have a kitchen". So, evidently she does not recognize that the house is fully upgraded? Has anyone else encountered this, or know of a fix? I posted over at the nexus too, but I thought I'd toss out a shout here just in case. Thanks loads! And happy gaming... -Merctime

My favourite's the Alternate Start Revamped from TESNexus (forgot the author, sorry :().

It generally offers you a number of starting locations like Bravil, Chorrol, Barren Cave, ship to Anvil, Empty Shack in Waterfront IC, Jail in IC, etc.

You start the game by creating your character (appearance, race, generally FaceGen settings) on a piece of grassland by the sea. Then you take your way through the selected door leading you to the past/history of choice.

I don't want to spoil here, but I have so far tested 2-3 of those options and I think "A brand new life" offers the best immersion ;).

Some people mentioned different bugs concerning the Main Quest and the Tutorial Quest, but I haven't experienced any :). Might not be fully compatible with Better City and other such mods changing city location, however the fixes were already implemented.

Really worth testing, especially for the immersion!

Archived