Creation kit - creating a quest purely to run a script

randomtguy

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot, an old version of the esp somehow ended up in MO's overwrite folder.

I'm trying to create my first mod but I'm such a noob it's not funny. The script has very kindly been provided by CPU and now, to my understanding, all I have to do is create a quest that initializes the script. But I can't even seem to do that right. I tried copying the settings for the quest from SexLab Squirt and another mod with a similar blank quest, which seems to be everything default apart from setting the player as the quest alias (the mods used different methods to achieve the same thing). But when I start the game the debug message I inserted doesn't show, and my quest doesn't even show up in the console using help. Nothing in the Papyrus logs either. Am I missing something obvious?

Probably you are missing the SEQ file that is required to start the quest.

To generate it, open your mod with TES5Edit, right click on it, and youse the last menu item Other-->Generate SEQ File.

Remember to set your quest as "Start Game Enabled"

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot, an old version of the esp somehow ended up in MO's overwrite folder.

I'm trying to create my first mod but I'm such a noob it's not funny. The script has very kindly been provided by CPU and now, to my understanding, all I have to do is create a quest that initializes the script. But I can't even seem to do that right. I tried copying the settings for the quest from SexLab Squirt and another mod with a similar blank quest, which seems to be everything default apart from setting the player as the quest alias (the mods used different methods to achieve the same thing). But when I start the game the debug message I inserted doesn't show, and my quest doesn't even show up in the console using help. Nothing in the Papyrus logs either. Am I missing something obvious?

I think you're also going need something to make your script run. You could have a startup quest stage which called a function in your quest script, or an auto state or and init event which did the same sort of thing. If a function is sitting there something has to tell it to happen. I think the seq files have to do with making dialogue show up.

I think you're also going need something to make your script run. You could have a startup quest stage which called a function in your quest script, or an auto state or and init event which did the same sort of thing. If a function is sitting there something has to tell it to happen. I think the seq files have to do with making dialogue show up.

The SEQ file is used to actually start the quests that are marked as "start game enabled".

If a global script is attached to a quest, and the quest has no SEQ file, then it does not start.

The script on the quest usually is started by the OnInit() event. But also other events are possible.

For sure a normal "Function" is not called by magic.

The SEQ file is used to actually start the quests that are marked as "start game enabled".

If a global script is attached to a quest, and the quest has no SEQ file, then it does not start.

The script on the quest usually is started by the OnInit() event. But also other events are possible.

For sure a normal "Function" is not called by magic.

Without those seq files, the quest will start, other things can happen, but dialogue and scenes will be jacked up. As you remember, that was the solution discovered pretty early on when people wrote asking why the dialogue wasn't showing up consistently with mods they had made.

The SEQ file contains the "compiled" conditions points for the quest.

They apply to all items that can be conditioned in a quest (RefAliases, Stages, Objectives, Targets, Dialogue Top branches.)

They apply to all items that can be conditioned in a quest (RefAliases, Stages, Objectives, Targets, Dialogue Top branches.)

Maybe so, but that isn't what it says in the wiki, and there are a number of mods with start enabled quests like racemenu 3.2.2 and followerlive 7.5 which still don't have seq files, even though we all know that skyrim mods need them.

Maybe so, but that isn't what it says in the wiki, and there are a number of mods with start enabled quests like racemenu 3.2.2 and followerlive 7.5 which still don't have seq files, even though we all know that skyrim mods need them.

If your quest does not have any conditional item, then it can start without the SEQ file.

Racemenu has no conditional items in it. So It does not require a SEQ file.

SexLab uses Aliases, so it requires the SEQ file. Zaz Anim Pack does not require aliases, so it has no SEQ file.

If you just have scripts inside your quest, then the SEQ file is not required.

Archived