View File

Coming soon to a draugr decapitation near you! Authentic Scottish Basket Hilt Broadswords! Sharp enough to impale a dragon and still cut a tomato razor thin!

OK, all cheese aside... What Vioxsis and I have for you all is a collection of masterfully rendered Scottish Broadswords in 2K textures. The hilt design is based on the Cold Steel Scottish Broadsword:

Our collection includes Iron, Steel, Dwarven, Nordic Steel (ala Dragonborn), Glass, Stalhrim, and Daedric. All weapons have balanced stats compared to vanilla swords, and are completely craftable, temperable, and enchantable. The Glass and Stalhrim swords have transparencies. You can probably see them in the pictures. Daedric sword has a proper daedric red glow set also.

I've also managed to populate them into leveled lists for merchants and loot. They SHOULD be there so long as you're using a bashed patch or merged patch. They've tested present for me in merchant and caravan vendor sales lists, on a few bandits and being carried by NPCs also. Most notable there was Talsgar the Wanderer seen wearing a steel one when my character was level 8.

c60076cf8619f051f507e74f330264e0.gif

I also scattered a few "Worn" versions of the Iron Basket Hilt Broadsword around. One is in Helgen Keep and one is in Riverwood in Gerdur's logging mill. These ones aren't quite up to par BUT can be cleaned up at the FORGE (not grind stone). Once cleaned up, they'll look like normal Iron versions (tassel and basket hilt liner added) and be temperable and enchantable.

As a general guide line on stats... The Basket Hilts will do 1 point of damage more than the vanilla sword equivalent, usually be 1 unit lighter (depending upon how bulky the vanilla sword looked) and just a hair faster and more valuable. All of which is meant to reflect better crafting technique and rarity (in the case of the slightly higher values). See the pics for base damages with NO skill points or tempering factored in.

FINAL NOTE: Anybody who loves the look of the swords as much as I do, Thank Vioxsis. He put in a ton of work getting the meshes and textures just right and did a top notch job.

Great job with the sword!

I need to make a petty note, though.

The following note is not relevant to the files or the quality of the download whatsoever, but personal note that I cannot, as a sword enthusiast, resist making, without being on edge for the rest of the day. 

Cold Steel is one of the worst sword makers and their "test" videos are rigged and useless. For swords, KultofAthena, Arms & Armor, etc. are much better places to shop for swords online. Generally, if something has a cold steel logo on it, avoid it. 

Their productions have a completely unpredictable quality, and very hit or miss -- usually miss.

Their videos are rigged and contain things that are easy to cut. Seriously, you can cut watermelons and thawed chickens with a hatchet, that tells you nothing about the sharpness of a sword. Also, car doors are made of a thin flexible metal -- you can pierce through a car door with a sturdy pencil.

Please refer to Skallagrim on youtube for some serious sword testing videos. 

Great job with the sword!

I need to make a petty note, though.

The following note is not relevant to the files or the quality of the download whatsoever, but personal note that I cannot, as a sword enthusiast, resist making, without being on edge for the rest of the day. 

Cold Steel is one of the worst sword makers and their "test" videos are rigged and useless. For swords, KultofAthena, Arms & Armor, etc. are much better places to shop for swords online. Generally, if something has a cold steel logo on it, avoid it. 

Their productions have a completely unpredictable quality, and very hit or miss -- usually miss.

Their videos are rigged and contain things that are easy to cut. Seriously, you can cut watermelons and thawed chickens with a hatchet, that tells you nothing about the sharpness of a sword. Also, car doors are made of a thin flexible metal -- you can pierce through a car door with a sturdy pencil.

Please refer to Skallagrim on youtube for some serious sword testing videos. 

LOL, I can appreciate your feelings regarding Cold Steel.   Truthfully I'm more familiar with their knives than their swords.  Nobody is going to mistake their stuff for Masamune's.  As far as their knives go, it generally depends on the steel used in the specific knife.  I've seen ones made with better steel take some serious abuse by independent reviewers.  Alot of their stuff is made with S7 tool steel, which is good for tools but not so much for knives & swords.

ANYWAY...  We used the cold steel one because it looked nice and there were plenty of pics.  :D

I saw this post in passing and wanted to say hi and thanks. I am a piper by avvocation and from Scottish Ancestry, the Clan NacLeod and had the chance to spend time in the Arms Room of Dunvegan Castle and try out and actually wield some of the broadswords in the Armoury. Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod was Chief of the Clan at that time, back in 1974, wow time flies, and i was at that time trained in the use of such weapsonry by Arms Master Count Palfry Alpar who was former Arms Master at the Royal Hungarian Military Academy. So it was a remarkable opportunity to triyout and use historic weapons.

It is an interesting weapon in terms of design and use, both the blade and the point are useful at times in various ways that ti was used.

I don't know much about what is being forged and made these days, but I am glad we have the chance to use them in Skyrim. thanks for the work on this.

I saw this post in passing and wanted to say hi and thanks. I am a piper by avvocation and from Scottish Ancestry, the Clan NacLeod and had the chance to spend time in the Arms Room of Dunvegan Castle and try out and actually wield some of the broadswords in the Armoury. Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod was Chief of the Clan at that time, back in 1974, wow time flies, and i was at that time trained in the use of such weapsonry by Arms Master Count Palfry Alpar who was former Arms Master at the Royal Hungarian Military Academy. So it was a remarkable opportunity to triyout and use historic weapons.

It is an interesting weapon in terms of design and use, both the blade and the point are useful at times in various ways that ti was used.

I don't know much about what is being forged and made these days, but I am glad we have the chance to use them in Skyrim. thanks for the work on this.

Scots Highlander ancestry here also, so I've wanted these swords for a long time myself.  Vioxsis was the first one brave enough to handle the complex meshes for the hilts.  He's said he's willing to consider a few more (metals) also if I can give him some drawings to work with.  That being so we can add a little bit of variety to the blades and hilts without killing him. :D

cool..and i am sorry i didnt mean to blow my own horn about stuff was just excited to see these and felt like sharing a bit. It was a odd turn in my own life path, but i did enjoy it. ended up wearing Kilts during my last year in college and kind of went "native" but it was fun.

those hilts must have been a really beast to create. i make models and i can only imagine the work it took well done!!!!

Nothing wrong with sharing a bit or being proud of your heritage. :)  It sounded like a great experience.  One thing that surprised me when I finally got to handle a real sword is the weight difference between that and the practice blades I'd worked out with previously.  Even the aluminum junk display swords are a fair bit lighter.

ANYWAY, I've done a fairly good job keeping my obsession about my heritage in check though.  Helps that my clan is the one that started the highland cullings and that I'm in the US because we were the poor relations that got ran out of the country, lol.  The flip side is having a couple of famous cousins in Hollywood.

Kilts...  Never got one.  They're bloody expensive, at least on the US west coast.