[Req] Breaking Undies

Actually, I was thinking specific outfits and light armor should be more subject to stuff like breakundies, especially sneak/thief outfits.

The corset + cloak/scarf + loincloth + long boots and gloves look.

Step 1: Cloak/scarf torn, shows off figure to the viewer from behind using the third person camera.

Step 2: Corset strings snapped, tits hanging out a little so that nipples are/are partially visible. (A la DSR), cloak is only a hood/scarf is removed entirely

Step 3: Corset snaps further, breasts on full display, loincloth torn to the point of being dangerously short,

Step 4: Loincloth torn away entirely, corset completely missing, character left in belt+hood+boots+gloves, all of which are frayed and torn.

(It might actually look really cool and skyrim-y if all these parts are lined with fur along the inside, too.)

You know, outfits that aren't as blatantly slutty as the oblivion ones but still sexy and easy to rip away...

Here's a kooky crazy idea

If there was a way to do it, set it up so the improvement to the armor degrades with damage. and, as the armor degrades, it goes for Legendary to Epic, to Extrordinary.. etc to Damaged to Poor to Crap to Broken( 0 armor value item destroyed) then you could throw a different mesh for each level of damage, and you get extra bits when you improve the armor above the standard. Repairs would be done at the workbench (re-improvement) and stuff breaks off (possibly dropping scrap metal item in the world) Just a though

Anything is possible, if you are willing to give it a try. Except maybe trying to get a job in this economy. But you would have to set up the armor degradation script in C/K... or some such tool. Baby steps first. We need an armor degradation mod... at least as a proof of concept. But i am no programmer, nor am i an artist. I tried learning Blender... and everything i do turns out wonky.

Anything is possible' date=' if you are willing to give it a try. Except maybe trying to get a job in this economy. But you would have to set up the armor degradation script in C/K... or some such tool. Baby steps first. We need an armor degradation mod... at least as a proof of concept. But i am no programmer, nor am i an artist. I tried learning Blender... and everything i do turns out wonky.

[/quote']

not quite, getting a job is easy if u a CIS major, only 2% of CIS majors are currently unemployed.

check for the win:P

Omg I've have this mod for so long but failed to realise that the guy is using texture swapping for the mod.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7736

This means we can have one nif, and several textures.

Easiest way now is equipping and unequiping the player's armor. :-/

edit: actually most viable way is to use the destruction data in CK itself, and swap textures for damage. if only we could get the destruction data to work out

wouldn't it be easier just to use trigger like receiving critical hit might drop the armor of that actor, in the logic that the opponent hit the securing belt of the armor, so it fell to the ground.

in the same manner like a chance of knocking opponent of their weapons that is in game.

I think it is better than making a new parameter like armor damage just to get that the same effect.

wouldn't it be easier just to use trigger like receiving critical hit might drop the armor of that actor' date=' in the logic that the opponent hit the securing belt of the armor, so it fell to the ground.

in the same manner like a chance of knocking opponent of their weapons that is in game.

I think it is better than making a new parameter like armor damage just to get that the same effect.

[/quote']

Yea, it would make more sense too and add 'realism' that it would be more of a chance per hit to swap the textures.

If anything, it would be easier to leave out armor damage and just have a script auto-swap armors and when you go to repair it at a workbench, just have the 'broken' armor be a prerequisite along with the appropriate materials to fix in-game or as the code would actually cause the items to craft the original piece again.

it is hard to make every armors converted into break undies system and it sucks to only have some armors follow the system while other armors don't, so it would be much global and easier goal to make the armor unequipped and drop to the ground, and that accompanied by a altered special standing pose "shy pose" and maybe "shy walk" and "shy run", "shy face expression " animations for naked female character would be quite effective already.

• 2 weeks later...

hoping someone still trying to work on this, i'd help but i'm not really a gameplay modder especially if there some scripting needed (total suck with scripting)..

agreed with slackorz idea with one mesh but with several textures, the only thing came up is tweaking the texture with alpha map so it will make some part go invisible when the armor is taking damage..of course the mesh need to switch texture which i have no idea how to make something like that..

I'm currently learning the new Skyrim scripting features so I can tackle this. I'm working on a .nif swapping version that works based on a character's health. If that can be done, then making an armor durability type system for it to work off of can be done later. Anyhow, I'll go ahead and vomit some info I've dug up.

Something of interest that I've noticed is that all armor objects in the CK have a model list that allows for multiple .nifs to be listed and shown on the character (for a single equippable item). If a function exists for removing the models from the list dynamically, then we'd be somewhere. Not sure if anyone knows anything about this.

Another idea I had was to simply change armor entirely (instead of swapping .nifs). The only data that would have to be conserved on an armor object would be the enchantments and whether or not it had been upgraded via smithing, and I think both of these could be applied to a newly equipped piece of armor dynamically on change-out (assuming I can find the scripting functions).

I do know that objects (not sure about armor though) can play animations by use of the PlayAnimation() function. Bear traps for example do it to open/close. Perhaps this is an alternative to nif swapping entirely. This would also allow for more realistic visuals when breaking.

Okay, so I have made progress. It's very limited at the moment, but I have a working script that is able to do the following things:

- runs whenever a game is loaded and is able to detect what level of deterioration armor is at on load.

- it is able to dynamically "repair" the armor.

- it is able to dynamically "damage" the armor.

- continues running until the game exits.

This is based on player health, as said above. Currently I'm trying to figure out the best design that would allow players to make and contribute to the list of armors that are "dynamic", among other stuff.

dynamicarmor.jpg

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions based on Skyrim's constraints / the general workings of the CK, let me know!

I've got a working dynamic list arrangement that you can use to store lists of user defined data structures, (OK, they're gold coins in an inaccessible warehouse with extension scripts). So you could track armour damage through that. You could use it to track npc armour damage, although you'd need to prune it back every now and again to cope with items that had been reset or otherwise removed from play.

You could pick up other combatants in the area with an area affect spell packaged as an ability and use quest aliases to hang onhit methods on the other combatants, and from that implement armour damage to opponents.

The big problem is going to remain that when armour is in inventory, you can't get a reference on it. SKSE may have a solution to that shortly, but it doesn't help much in the short term.

Oh nice, I'm glad someone's put some thought into that aspect of it. Once I get to that point I'll definitely pick your brain more, lol.

I've pretty much been trying to think of how people can add new armors without much of a headache (since I know this is something that limited BU to the more advanced people in Oblivion). If the entire community is making armors for it with relatively less confusion than BU had around it, I think it will be more successful.

The way the system works now, it has a property array (i'll call it the dynamic array) that switches elements based on health. There's a list of property arrays for different 'breakable' armors, and when a player OnEquip event occurs (will have to be modified later to check for NPCs, or the system adapted entirely) it checks the list of property arrays. If it is a breakable armor, the armor gets moved from the list array to the dynamic array. The problem is, I don't know offhand how players could add to that list of property arrays using .esps (mainly because I've been scripting for Skyrim for less than 2 days, I think).

Related to this, do you know offhand if property values can be assigned via code, or just through the goofy dropdown user interface?

EDIT-------

A Couple of things I didn't clarify above. This system works by swapping out armor, not nifs or textures. Each armor object in turn has its own model. Therefore, for a breakable armor with 4 stages, you need 4 armor objects. Luckily the CK makes it very easy to just duplicate objects now. That said, it's still dumb, and until I figure out a way to switch models on an armor object there's no real way around it as far as I can see.

Also, in contrast to my above design, I don't think I'm going to do a list of property arrays to store the armor objects. This is mainly because the scripting language doesn't allow for arrays of arrays... which is pretty goofy in my opinion... if they went through the trouble of allowing arrays, why gimp their functionality? Anyways, I can't figure out a good alternative to simply requiring a script on the armor objects themselves, which is something I really wanted to avoid for making it easier for others to add new armors. Fortunately, I think the script can be cookie-cutter, and won't require users who are creating their own armors to edit it one bit (simply throw it on the armor object and set some properties). The use of scripts on the armor objects will also make it much easier to get smithing upgrade and enchantment information for equipped armor to the break script.

So, from the above, I think for someone to make a new armor for this system they would have to do the following:

- Make their .nifs

- Make a .esp with the number of armor objects equal to the number of stages they want

- Set the models for the objects to their .nifs

- Attach an already completed script to each object and link the properties to the objects.

If anyone has any suggestions for a design that would simplify this process let me know. The main clincher is that the script properties must be assigned to the armor objects from within the CK, so reading a text file containing a list of armors into the scripts or whatever isn't an option.

Lastly -- does anyone know if armor can play animations? If so, I have a really simple idea that could allow for some awesome effects.

Hope there's still interest in this! I've made a lot of headway today.

The first bit of good news: I've found a way to allow breakable armor to be enchanted / upgraded via smithing. It appears it is effectively impossible to transfer enchantment/smithing data from one item to another, so a workaround had to be developed.

The second piece of good news: I'm pretty certain the breakable armor can be animated. I.e. we can have full blown animations occur when armor breaks. I did some research using the 'Dwarven Mechanical Equipment' mod on the Nexus. It has a shield that animates when drawn / sheathed, and basically does so by a similar system as to what I am doing (swapping the armor objects). The .nif files for the shield simply play a static, non-looping animation once they are loaded. I see no reason why armor .nifs wouldn't behave similarly.

Hopefully I'll have time in the next few days to put what I've found into effect.

My apologies, I meant to reply to this ages ago.

Also' date=' in contrast to my above design, I don't think I'm going to do a list of property arrays to store the armor objects. This is mainly because the scripting language doesn't allow for arrays of arrays... which is pretty goofy in my opinion... if they went through the trouble of allowing arrays, why gimp their functionality? Anyways, I can't figure out a good alternative to simply requiring a script on the armor objects themselves, which is something I really wanted to avoid for making it easier for others to add new armors. Fortunately, I think the script can be cookie-cutter, and won't require users who are creating their own armors to edit it one bit (simply throw it on the armor object and set some properties). The use of scripts on the armor objects will also make it much easier to get smithing upgrade and enchantment information for equipped armor to the break script.

[/quote']

I know I'm a little late, but there is a workaround/hack to get multi-dimensional arrays.

Basically, you need a user defined type. The easiest way I've found to do this is to duplicate Gold001 and then add script extending the item and adding any properties you want to store. Let's say you call it Gold_BU

So if one of those properties was an Array of ObjectReferences then you can can fill the array slots with more instances of Gold_BU. You'll need to populate them by hand, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem. For a leaf node just add the armour object you want. You'll need to add a subscripting function to the extension script, but that won't be too hard.

For the base lookup script though, you might want to use a formlist, since arrays are capped at 100 elements.

The second piece of good news: I'm pretty certain the breakable armor can be animated. I.e. we can have full blown animations occur when armor breaks. I did some research using the 'Dwarven Mechanical Equipment' mod on the Nexus. It has a shield that animates when drawn / sheathed' date=' and basically does so by a similar system as to what I am doing (swapping the armor objects). The .nif files for the shield simply play a static, non-looping animation once they are loaded. I see no reason why armor .nifs wouldn't behave similarly.

[/quote']

That does indeed sound interesting. I might have uses for something like that myself :)

My apologies' date=' I meant to reply to this ages ago.

Also, in contrast to my above design, I don't think I'm going to do a list of property arrays to store the armor objects. This is mainly because the scripting language doesn't allow for arrays of arrays... which is pretty goofy in my opinion... if they went through the trouble of allowing arrays, why gimp their functionality? Anyways, I can't figure out a good alternative to simply requiring a script on the armor objects themselves, which is something I really wanted to avoid for making it easier for others to add new armors. Fortunately, I think the script can be cookie-cutter, and won't require users who are creating their own armors to edit it one bit (simply throw it on the armor object and set some properties). The use of scripts on the armor objects will also make it much easier to get smithing upgrade and enchantment information for equipped armor to the break script.

I know I'm a little late, but there is a workaround/hack to get multi-dimensional arrays.

Basically, you need a user defined type. The easiest way I've found to do this is to duplicate Gold001 and then add script extending the item and adding any properties you want to store. Let's say you call it Gold_BU

So if one of those properties was an Array of ObjectReferences then you can can fill the array slots with more instances of Gold_BU. You'll need to populate them by hand, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem. For a leaf node just add the armour object you want. You'll need to add a subscripting function to the extension script, but that won't be too hard.

For the base lookup script though, you might want to use a formlist, since arrays are capped at 100 elements.

Awesome, that's a good idea. After researching the Dwarven Mechanical Equipment mod and seeing formlists in action, I am thinking about converting my system over to those. I still have to weigh the pros and cons. Assuming my above implementation works out for being able to enchant / smith gear and have the effects persist through breaking, the big obstacle to overcome now is getting the system to work on NPCs in addition to the player.

I know the original BU scripts did so by having a player reference that pointed at the player, and a reference called 'who' that pointed at everyone else. I'm going to see if I can make some similar logic happen I think.