Exporting NiGeometryController in Blender 2.49b

First off, this is in the Oblivion section because no-one in their right mind would use Blender 2.49b for Skyrim.

This could be relevant to Fallout, I suppose, but I assume there are numerous things that the games don't share which could cause an issue if I attempted (one such example would be the loop sequence in animations), and I don't want to take risks.

So, a while ago my blender install stopped exporting all NiGeometryController's NiFloatInterpolators, and I'm not sure why.

For those of you unfamiliar with NiFloatInterpolators, they are the data blocks that the game uses to tell it when to activate a particular morph, and without them a NiGeometryController is useless.

In my case, I am trying to export an animated static - which worked just fine previously, and now doesn't.

The files that are exported work properly if I add the NiFloatInterpolator blocks to them manually via NifSkope, but it is a time-consuming task that I wish to avoid if at all possible.

So, if anyone has any idea as to what I might be doing wrong, or can suggest a potential solution, I'll appreciate it.

-V

So, a while ago my blender install stopped exporting all NiGeometryController's NiFloatInterpolators, and I'm not sure why.

For those of you unfamiliar with NiFloatInterpolators, they are the data blocks that the game uses to tell it when to activate a particular morph, and without them a NiGeometryController is useless.

I wish I could be of help, but I never used before this kind of block or property (at least not consciously).

In my case, I am trying to export an animated static - which worked just fine previously, and now doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, can you provide a more specific example, something that could be found in an existing mod?

If the export worked fine before, the only thing I could imagine is that something has changed in your usual exporting options, perhaps without you noticing.

Heaven knows what's going on if you got it working before but not working now for no apparent reason. And I'm assuming you're talking about NiGeomMorpherController and shapekeys because I can't find NiGeometryController in the niflib doc.

I think this will be very difficult to be answered unless we see how the animation is set up, assuming we can figure it out at all of course. I've never experienced such weirdness myself.

Well, I'd try exporting a very very simple one that you can never fail. It will at least reveal whether your blender setup is screwed up or not.

I wish I could be of help, but I never used before this kind of block or property (at least not consciously).

Just out of curiosity, can you provide a more specific example, something that could be found in an existing mod?

If the export worked fine before, the only thing I could imagine is that something has changed in your usual exporting options, perhaps without you noticing.

Take any animated static out of a mod - for example the CTAddPoseMerged one - import it, export it.

The NiFloatInterpolator data blocks will be gone.

Heaven knows what's going on if you got it working before but not working now for no apparent reason. And I'm assuming you're talking about NiGeomMorpherController and shapekeys because I can't find NiGeometryController in the niflib doc.

I think this will be very difficult to be answered unless we see how the animation is set up, assuming we can figure it out at all of course. I've never experienced such weirdness myself.

Well, I'd try exporting a very very simple one that you can never fail. It will at least reveal whether your blender setup is screwed up or not.

Yes, sorry, NiGeomMorpherController in shapekeys is indeed what I meant. I could provide an example but - as mentioned above - it is literally the case with any mesh that uses shapekeys.

Thanks for trying to help.

if you have a probleme exporting with  " export geometry + animation (nif) "  it means you need to remove completely blender and reinstall it with all requierements.

if you import and reexport a morphed.nif  this is a known issue !    morphed.nif  looses their keys data (reset to 0) as they have no key marker but keeps their names. (funny)

generaly when you import a morph.nif you need to set again the animations timer and slider than reexport  . But if you import it normaly it is to make some modifications therefore you need to reset the shapekey !!!! (ha ha ha )   the reason why i keep a file.blend before animation and a double with animations.

Unfortunately, despite erasing all presets, settings, scripts etc and reinstalling everything from scratch, I still cannot export a proper NiGeomMorpherController.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would very much like to hear them.

Thanks,

-V

may be it is something you have forgot to do in blender before exporting   like going to  ' nla editor '  and in ' strips  ' add  ' add blanck action strips ' and  than  ' add action strips '  f action or what ever you call it.

you can always post / pm the file.blend  to see if someone else can export .

from what i see in blender this is your prepared startup  blender file for standard animations .  there is no shape key in your file not even to the head !

i do not see alot of options for morph for a body .   anyway   i did a little test with your file§.blend and noticed a little probleme with the bone skeleton name : it should be ' Scene Root '

and no '  Scene Root.001 '  to be exported correctly.

a pic , morphmesh , and file.blend included.

delirious test.7z

And this is where I wonder just what I was doing at the time of my last post, because that's the wrong file.

Yes, you're definitely right, that is indeed my default setup for animating.

Attached the correct file to this post.

As a side-note, I've tried exporting your file with no success.

Thanks for all the help,

-V

t.7z

That is very strange. Looks like I can export this one just fine.

About a year ago my Blender stopped recalculating normals all of a sudden. And additionally it always crashed on exit.

The first problem solved itself after I deleted everything including pyffi and py 2k itself, but I'm still not certain about this one. It also has something to do with Anthony D'Agostino's True Normals patch.. I think.

The second problem.. I couldn't even imagine, but it turned out that my Quicktime installation was somehow messed up and causing that issue. Reinstalling Quicktime solved that.

My export settings are identical to yours.

Added every single object to the nla strip, didn't help.

Not entirely sure why would you assume I believe a morph file is equivalent to an animation file (I do not).

EDIT: After lighting candles at the Temple of the Enlightened Ones, and performing rituals I dare not mention, I have discovered the source of the issues: my Python version. Downgrading it fixed the problem.

I suppose that's what I get for flirting with Skyrim and updating without making sure it was backwards compatible.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. This issue is now solved.

That is very strange. Looks like I can export this one just fine.

About a year ago my Blender stopped recalculating normals all of a sudden. And additionally it always crashed on exit.

The first problem solved itself after I deleted everything including pyffi and py 2k itself, but I'm still not certain about this one. It also has something to do with Anthony D'Agostino's True Normals patch.. I think.

The second problem.. I couldn't even imagine, but it turned out that my Quicktime installation was somehow messed up and causing that issue. Reinstalling Quicktime solved that.

than movomo was right  suggesting  py (pyton) issue.

anyway good to hear evrything is solved

You can have installed and run multiple Python versions, I am and those applications I use are configured such that they use the version they need. Whether or not Blender is structured such that it will look for what it needs is unknown to me.

I do stay with all 32-bit and no 64-bit, even though I run Win7 U 64-bit.

Archived