(help a noob) a few quick/easy questions that will help me out tremendously --- thank you in advance

ralph13132

New here. Trying to learn the ropes.

• Skyrim, unlike other games I play, is really weird with alt tabbing. After each alt tab, it wont go immeditely into the game. I have to alt tab twice. Then after about 5 times (going back the forth) the game crashes. Any fix?

• I go a custom armor mod. One part is given by "player.additem" the other says its a spell. How do I do this?

• THere are all these high res texure packs. Are there some that are just everyone uses? What are the most important ones.

Skyrim, unlike other games I play, is really weird with alt tabbing. After each alt tab, it wont go immeditely into the game. I have to alt tab twice. Then after about 5 times (going back the forth) the game crashes. Any fix?

Don't alt tab. Play the game until done and quite properly. Not even sure how that will affect the saves. Skyrim is very sensitive to the saves. More so that Fallout and other previous games. AS for a fix.. Not sure. Don't know anybody that Alt+Tab that much.

I go a custom armor mod. One part is given by "player.additem" the other says its a spell. How do I do this?

exactly as instructed. Type the player.additem ######## ## then the code that is required and then finally the ## of the armors or anything else you add that you want. So if an item had a code of 0000000f and you wanted to add say 100 of them. player.additem 000000f 100

• THere are all these high res texure packs. Are there some that are just everyone uses? What are the most important ones.

There are other things you might want besides some of the basic texture mods. I would first start here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7DlYarj-DdhDG41roBVJfNCqvO5MmKP

Watch the video. Good info there for you to start. Some great explanation of the different mods so that you can chose in a good order of installation as well. Watch and do each of the videos then look through the Nexus files of the month and select a few more to test. In the end you will need to choose.

The Unofficial High Resolution Patch is a nice start (provides a nice base for other mods to overwrite parts)

I then use SkryimHD and install over this

Then for some better meshes (dimension and shape) I add SMIMM to the mods list. (Static Mesh IMprovement Mod)

Then wrap up some of the armors with armors and such from aMidianBorn mods. (from Nexus)

Use a manager and you can always uninstall the mods. If you are adventurous or have some skills moding other games check out MO. There is a thread here on LL that has loads of support to get you up and running and Gopher has a nice video on that as well to give you a very good idea of what is going on with it so that you can make an informed decision on if it works for you.

I've never had a problem getting alt+tab to work correctly but I did get the double cursor issue a lot and it annoyed the crap out of me. One Tweak fixed it perfectly, though. Alt+tabbing has never been a problem for me since. Maybe it'll help you with your issue.

For the armor you simply use the console to get what you need. To open up the console hit the tilde key: ~ on your keyboard. In the console type " Help _____ " with no quotes and where the blank is part of the name of your armor mod. For example, if your armor mod were named Crappy Skyrim Armor you'd type Help Crappy. The console will give you a code for everything that comes up with Crappy as part of the title, including everything in your armor mod.

To get the armor piece(s) you'd follow the instructions using the code that comes up after you search for it with the Help command. It'll be unique for you due to the mod's location in your load order. To add the armor to your inventory you use player.additem ######### 1, where the #s are the code you got after using Help, to get one of the item. Likewise, if you get a code for a spell (as the mod says you will) you can add the spell directly to your character. For that you'd use the code player.equipspell ######### left to equip the spell on your left hand. Then you'd just cast the spell as you normally would.

As for retextures, that's a matter of taste. There's a ton of them on the Nexus you can use, including the ones from amidianborn and SMIM but they have varying effects on your game, so only you can determine if your PC can handle them or not.

Archived