Game maker?

DupaStupid

Gamemaker is good, but you need experience with it to make your money worth it. All bacis stuff that you can do without experience is bland.

For simple stuff like you said I would suggest "text" engines(you can display images) like RAGS, QSP(free), or daydreamer(free)

I don't know what you really want, but Unity3D is free as long as the game will be free, and you can create anything, 2D games, 3D games, complex AI packages, realistic physics behavior, ...

I just didn't have the time and the nuts yet to learn how to use it, else I would try to revamp the Legend Of Krystal once again ;)

Then why not to use slavemaker sdk? Modify it a bit and learn by it how to script. Or otherworld sdk.

I want to start from the very beginning and work my way up. Would visual basic be a good choice?

Starting from the beginning and working your way up in video game development is like trying to learn physics by starting with arithmetic and trying to derive it from there. It's possible, but it's going to take you 600 years.

If you start with, say, Unity 5, or Unreal Development Kit, most of that stuff is already done - all you need to worry about is combining the work that has already been done to make the game you want.

If you start with your own game engine, you need to rederive everything - from learning OpenGL/DirectX/Vulkan API to DLL libraries to sound interface to 2d/3d vector space translation. You will have a mountain of work before you can even think about working on the game itself.

If you've got the next 10 years to spare in making your own game engine, go for it, but I suggest you recognize the monumental amount of effort you are looking at here and consider all options.

Then why not to use slavemaker sdk? Modify it a bit and learn by it how to script. Or otherworld sdk.

I want to start from the very beginning and work my way up. Would visual basic be a good choice?

Starting from the beginning and working your way up in video game development is like trying to learn physics by starting with arithmetic and trying to derive it from there. It's possible, but it's going to take you 600 years.

If you start with, say, Unity 5, or Unreal Development Kit, most of that stuff is already done - all you need to worry about is combining the work that has already been done to make the game you want.

If you start with your own game engine, you need to rederive everything - from learning OpenGL/DirectX/Vulkan API to DLL libraries to sound interface to 2d/3d vector space translation. You will have a mountain of work before you can even think about working on the game itself.

If you've got the next 10 years to spare in making your own game engine, go for it, but I suggest you recognize the monumental amount of effort you are looking at here and consider all options.

I guess you don't know the type of game he wants to make as your answer is rather over the top. Slavemaker is nothing but mainly a text game that displays some images or animated gifs. But even then it has been in development for quite a while.

What is mainly needed is a development tool/language that allows object oriented/modular development. The results wil depend upon the amount of time you want to put into it and the will to learn. Visual basic could do the job. Picking something you have experience with is always an advantage.

Archived