Black Body Glitch

Mageman1842

Is there some way to export load order with Mod Organizer? I don't to list it all one at a time by typing each. Right now if i zoom in on my toon I can see triangles of skin texture but mostly it's black.

Fixed it, had to use texture pack from another mod. anyone else having problem with Enhanced Character Editor crashing the game when you try making a young nord female? 

I am not sure why this happens, but what I do is open the texture folder related to the NPC with the black skin (or your custom race as a PC).  I set the icons to large so that I can see a picture of the texture.  If the texture icon shows up as a generic Photoshop icon instead of a viewable picture, I open that texture in Photoshop, re-save it as a DX5 compressed DDS file with alpha channel enabled, using the NVidia DDS tool.  The icon shows correctly immediately following this.  Once I do that to all the textures that are not showing the icon right, I reload the game and the skin surface is correct.  If you do not use Photoshop, you can find and download GIMP and the DDS plug-in for it.  Just Google it and remember that you must download the program from a legit source to avoid malware etc.  Always scan downloads, especially containing an executable files.

I think that the problem has something to do with a problem in the alpha channel.  I am running Windblows 8.1 with an NVidia 780m on a laptop, which may play a part in this.  I find that I have to do this on a large number of mods, probably about half.  I would like to find out if anyone knows why this happens and if there is a easier fix.  I even have to do it on NPC custom appearance mods pretty often in the facegen folder, which can be hundreds of files... sorta sucks.  This only started for me in the last year or so.

Good luck,

Wulf

what game if skyrim it was due to a texture problem i dont know about any other games on skyrim it was just female human types not the argonion or khajit only females was effected by it

try turning your graphics down to low quility see if that works

launch the game from steam and turn the graphics to low quality?

What about exporting the load order from Mod Organizer? there has to be a way to copy/past it some how.

• 6 months later...

Hi Wulf, thanks very much for the fix. It worked perfectly for me. Luckily this has only appeared on body textures so far.

I have a worse laptop than you but maybe I'm not using so many texture replacers or something.

Just for reference, I re-saved my DDS with paint.net which is free and didn't require any extra plugins.

The GIMP plugin seems like it may no longer be supported (?)

PS: I've got the problem when using bodyslide 2 and with a range of UNP textures.

Black body glitch is caused High resolution textures more specifically body textures (lots of npc's showing skin can cause this). 

If your using an enb which most likely you are then hit F4 this will free up your vram causing the black body to disappear. 

• 4 months later...

May I just drop by with a late entry on this thread and say THANK YOU!!! to Wulfy1 and Guzzleguts

I have been plagued with black skin bug / harlequin triangles on my player body for a while now. I use a CBBEv3 Bodyslide Base with HDT, Clams of Skyrim body and textures and an SG wet skin topout. Normally no problems until two months ago. I have been tearing my hair out, reducing textures, switching on and off ENB, banging the F4 key - all with little result. Time and again the black skin bug reappeared - even when returning to a very early save of 12 simple mods - and all on a high end gaming PC.  In trying to resolve it, I even learnt how Win 10's memory compression works and downloaded a tool to clear the Standby Cache.

In trying to find help, Google led me here. Wulfy1, I used your "spot the naff DDS thumbs" instructions and Guzzlegut - your recommendation over Paint.Net. My problem is entirely solved.

Many, many thanks!!!!!   :)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to add a little info to this issue:

NVIDIA GeForce 960

Windows 10 Home,  64-bit

Skyrim (Not SSE)

UUNP-Special bodies

I used Texblend on UNP Mature Skin textures

Everything was fine at High Graphics settings

When I set my preset to medium, that's when I got the black diamond skin glitch, only on females using the Mature skins.

I also use Bijinn's and none of the females in his pack that had bodies were affected.

Things I tried:

I ran Optimizer Textures (Ordenador) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/ on the three texture files generated by Texblend using default settings.

After loading my savegame, I still had the black glitch, but when I pressed F4 it went away.

For me, this problem was unique to the textures generated by Texblend and using the Medium graphics setting preset.

Hope this info helps if anyone wants to update documentation.

• 1 month later...

"'Black Body Bug,' BBB, happens when your using a body texture that is very big in file size.  So what happens is your video card will choke on the huge file size. Simple thing to do is either use a smaller file size body texture or use Texture Optimizer program to reduce the file size.
The main issue with Black Body Bug, is that the problem doesn't always occur consistently, you literally can exit game and load back up and that time the textures might load properly so you then think oh I fixed it because I did this this and this.  Then it just re-occurs later. Just cut down the file with Texture Ordenator. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/  "

This worked like a charm for me. I didn't have to change any of Ordenador's settings, just pointed it at the texture folder and let it optimize them. Fixed the black body bug.

*citation of original quote:  http://www.loverslab.com/topic/47995-very-weird-female-textures-problem-help-please/?p=1224943

Archived