60hz vs 144hz monitor

rufino471

Save your money and go bigger. With higher res monitors becoming more affordable, it's better to focus on them instead of a higher refresh rate.

I've had my eyes on this 1440p monitor; it's 144hz as well. There's 4k monitors coming down in price too, but their refresh rates are no good for the moment.

Yes it is, it doesn't matter if you can not run games at 144 FPS, it's more fluid and comfortable for the eyes, worth it even if it's not for gaming. When you switch back and forth from 60 to 144 the difference is obvious, you can see it just by moving the mouse pointer around. Don't believe the uneducated opinions posted above.

Now be aware that at this price range, colors are not the greatest, be sure to calibrate it and turn the luminosity down.

Yes it is, it doesn't matter if you can not run games at 144 FPS, it's more fluid and comfortable for the eyes, worth it even if it's not for gaming. When you switch back and forth from 60 to 144 the difference is obvious, you can see it just by moving the mouse pointer around. Don't believe the uneducated opinions posted above.

Now be aware that at this price range, colors are not the greatest, be sure to calibrate it and turn the luminosity down.

If it's better for the eyes is less the result of the monitor, but the frametimes that your graphic card can produce. So, you can either have 60fps / 60 hz and each frame was rendered in 1/60s, or you can have 30 frames rendered in 1/30s and 30 rendered in 1/120s. The second one is more microstuttering, but both are 60fps.

If you want to produce more fps, so more hz, your graphic card has to work more, so your frametimes will rise. In the end, you could have more hz, but with wide range of frametimes, so it's microstuttering more than before.

So, if you have a good graphic card, 144hz could be worth, but if you're not sure, if the GPU can stay at a stable frametimes number, you should go for 60hz. Or the microstuttering isn't annoying for you, then you also can look for 144hz

If the monitor has G-Sync the microstutter/tearing goes away and you can safely go with it. V-Sync in games or the driver settings will synchronize fps and the refresh rate of your monitor, so it would definitely not be as much of a problem as described. 

I think the high refresh rate outside of gaming applications alone, justifies a 144 Hz monitor. It's a real treat for the eyes. The age-old argument that the human eye can't see the difference between 30/60/144 Hz has been debunked multiple times. You will definitely notice a difference, though the higher the refresh rate gets, you may come to a point of diminishing returns.

Here is a video I found explaining some of the differences.

@Mister-X :I have a 144 hz screen, and I'm not talking about gaming. A higher refresh rate is more fluid even outside games, move around your mouse pointer, scroll a web page, etc. Everything will be more smooth, and it doesn't require any more GPU power. And about games, not only on a 144 hz screen it will be more fluid at equal framerate than a 60 hz, but it also means less screen tearing. Since I have mine, I don't need vsync anymore on most games, I turn it off. It won't make it go away completely (you'll need gsync/freesync technologies for that) it definitely improves things in this department. Once again, the only users I wouldn't recommend a "gamer" screen are those needing a high colors rendering quality, because they're bad for that. And I think you are also confused about what microstuttering is.

Now if you think I'm a liar and that my experience at using this type of screen is worth nothing, you are free to read the hundred comparisons of refresh rates that have been made and talk to numerous other owners of this kind of screens.

EDIT : burned by BruceWayne who actually posted one.

If the monitor has G-Sync the microstutter/tearing goes away and you can safely go with it. V-Sync in games or the driver settings will synchronize fps and the refresh rate of your monitor, so it would definitely not be as much of a problem as described. 

I think the high refresh rate outside of gaming applications alone, justifies a 144 Hz monitor. It's a real treat for the eyes. The age-old argument that the human eye can't see the difference between 30/60/144 Hz has been debunked multiple times. You will definitely notice a difference, though the higher the refresh rate gets, you may come to a point of diminishing returns.

Here is a video I found explaining some of the differences.

@Mister-X :I have a 144 hz screen, and I'm not talking about gaming. A higher refresh rate is more fluid even outside games, move around your mouse pointer, scroll a web page, etc. Everything will be more smooth, and it doesn't require any more GPU power. And about games, not only on a 144 hz screen it will be more fluid at equal framerate than a 60 hz, but it also means less screen tearing. Since I have mine, I don't need vsync anymore on most games, I turn it off. It won't make it go away completely (you'll need gsync/freesync technologies for that) it definitely improves things in this department. Once again, the only users I wouldn't recommend a "gamer" screen are those needing a high colors rendering quality, because they're bad for that. And I think you are also confused about what microstuttering is.

Now if you think I'm a liar and that my experience at using this type of screen is worth nothing, you are free to read the hundred comparisons of refresh rates that have been made and talk to numerous other owners of this kind of screens.

EDIT : burned by BruceWayne who actually posted one.

after doing some research myself and reading this post I've decided to give it a try, there is a electronic store here in my town selling this exact same monitor for 220$

Save your money and go bigger. With higher res monitors becoming more affordable, it's better to focus on them instead of a higher refresh rate.

I've had my eyes on this 1440p monitor; it's 144hz as well. There's 4k monitors coming down in price too, but their refresh rates are no good for the moment.

4k is just too much for my gpu to handle i think 

Archived