Let's save skyrim. Spoiler-filled thread!

Mewwt

So, I just got into windhelm, and decided to listen to ulfric's conversation, and that made me think:

If you help the stormcloaks in the civil war, you're just helping the thalmor by weakening the empire's influence in skyrim. On the other hand, you just kill skyrim's only chance to be free again.

What if you kill the emperor titus mede II with the dark brotherhood? That's taking the emperor's balls from the aldmeri dominion's hands. They now have nothing to hold people back, that means you weakened them a little. On the other hand, we've got the blades. If you read the thalmor's dossiers on delphine and esbern, we can assume these two alone can be a huge kick in the balls against the thalmor, and boy they will kick them hard if given the chance.

About ulfric and siding with the stormcloaks, "A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed." From this we can assume a stormcloak victory on skyrim, while risky, means the thalmor know the stormcloaks could grab their balls like they did with the emperor, but since the emperor will be dead, the only thing they'll be able to do is either get the hell out of skyrim, or face an imminent battle.

At this point, having restored the blades to their former glory, with esbern and delphine leading them in undercover missions, could definitely increase skyrim's chances. Meanwhile, the stormcloaks will definitely attack relentlessly, which won't help the chaos in the imperial city for the emperor's death, where many people will probably raise their head and join the battle.

Meanwhile, if you saved paarthurnax (outside of gameplay, the blades can perfectly rebuild themselves, they just won't have the dragonborn's help, so fuck them all), and assuming the dragonborn lives for a while after the end of skyrim (the game, of course), a dragon assault is something the thalmor can't never prepare for, and it would look badass as hell.

From my point of view, while only joining the stormcloaks or imperials is bad for skyrim, if you throw some stuff in the mix, you can definitely free skyrim, with it's risks and such, but hell, the nords are warriors, not damn shopkeepers.

Opinions?

I've tried joining both, and came away thinking there really wasn't a perfect solution.  So in my current game, I refused to take sides and just went vigilante hunting for Thalmor :)

I prefer to save Parthurnax, actually, and not just because killing him pisses off the Greybeards.  I like the dragon and wish there was a way to make him a companion :(

It's impossible not to go hunting for the Thalmor they are just despicable so any faction exterminating the elves is the faction for me.

Another thread was talking about the tendency to side with the Stormcloaks because the Imperials try chopping your head off to start the game.

there's no ideal scenario for whoever you choose to support but it makes more sense to choose along racial lines. Bretons and Imperials supporting Skyrim would be weird.

I wish there was a way to turn off dragon attacks after you save Parthurnaax. It makes no sense they keep attacking after you've defeated Alduin and orchestrated the ceasefire.

Normally a statement like that is followed by a reason... so, how come?

Because they have to go with a canon. Your choice in Skyrim means nothing. They will say how it really went, who won, who lost, what was really behind it and stuff like that. I doubt that the next TES game will have a save import feature. Most likely they will come up with something that wasn't really foreseeable in Skyrim, like the Thalmor getting wiped out because the Dominion decided they are too much of a burden or something. I mean, who would've thought that the events in Oblivion would ultimately give the Thalmor an opportunity to rise to power?

It's impossible not to go hunting for the Thalmor they are just despicable so any faction exterminating the elves is the faction for me.

Another thread was talking about the tendency to side with the Stormcloaks because the Imperials try chopping your head off to start the game.

there's no ideal scenario for whoever you choose to support but it makes more sense to choose along racial lines. Bretons and Imperials supporting Skyrim would be weird.

I wish there was a way to turn off dragon attacks after you save Parthurnaax. It makes no sense they keep attacking after you've defeated Alduin and orchestrated the ceasefire.

I like to think the dragonborn has enough responsibility to know he should forgive and forget, and think about the bigger problems (like, you know, that big ass lizard trying to destroy everything and such). About the dragons still attacking, I guess they might have some reasons, like the nords still defending skyrim when the thalmor recently kicked their ass. If you see an inferior mortal being killing your kind and sucking their souls who doesn't even speak your tongue and gave him/herself the right to call himself a dovah, you'd be pretty angry.

My character is breton, so I guess I'll have to think a reason for him to join the stormcloaks.

Annnnddd... What about jarl ballin balgruuf? Is there a way to keep him as a jarl instead of that old fart?

It won't matter in the next game anyway.

It will in my current game, though!

Normally a statement like that is followed by a reason... so, how come?

Because they have to go with a canon. Your choice in Skyrim means nothing. They will say how it really went, who won, who lost, what was really behind it and stuff like that. I doubt that the next TES game will have a save import feature. Most likely they will come up with something that wasn't really foreseeable in Skyrim, like the Thalmor getting wiped out because the Dominion decided they are too much of a burden or something. I mean, who would've thought that the events in Oblivion would ultimately give the Thalmor an opportunity to rise to power?

I'm still disappointed because there aren't any (non-summoned) Daedra in Skyrim :(

I realize that they all disappeared when the Oblivion gates were closed, but damn those were some awesome baddies!

Archived