Mod Organizer and Skyrim's language selection.

Neogeo

I don't like bothering just one person and waiting for that person to respond while he has other stuff to do as well, so I decided to ask the other people around here too.

Well, some pre-knowledge:

I wanted to hear the joy of Skyrim in English, so I changed the language from German to English in the game settings in my Steam library.

But since then, MO causes a CTD right after the Bethesda logo. Basically when the main menu displays the Akatosh logo and is just about to display the menu buttons, it crashes. Tried to start Skyrim with the following options:

MO + mods (RealVision ENB setup + a few armor/body mods) + SKSE

MO + SKSE

MO + Skyrim (TESV.exe)

MO + Skyrim Launcher

All of them caused the crash.

Then I tried to launch Skyrim via the Steam library and it worked flawlessly. Main Menu appeared, no CTD at any time.

ArchDemon gave me the tip in a PM to try changing Skyrims language back to German and try it again with MO, because there might be a sound file or something missing during the language change. Changed the language back to german and MO worked again, without any CTDs.

Anyone got experience with this and hopefully a tip on fixing it?

Did you possibly install the German version of some mods? You might need to make a second profile one with German mods and one with English. Also are you using any sort of generated files like FNIS or Skyprocpatcher? I don't think FNIS would cause an issue but other generated files might have dependencies that are getting messed up when you change languages and you may want to try and regenerate them. I'm afraid these are all guesses on my part as I don't use any language but English.  

Already took care of that by removing all German mods and translations I had, which was a total amount of just four of them. Didn't try re-generating the FNIS behavior files though.

I'll try a clean installation and report how it's going then.

You need to change the games language in Steam first and let Steam then redownload. There are still subtle differences in the BSAs between the languages and other users that don't use the english version normally have one BSA less, the Esbern voice fix iirc.

Then you can edit the iNi in MO to use english and enjoy loads of russian (yep, sounds russian to me) dialect and Bosmer that sound like they drink whiskey and smoke cigarettes all day. Metallica anyone?

i meant Skyrim.iNi from inside MO using MOs iNi Editor, because if you don't create a new profile, MO will not import the settings of the new iNis after you reinstalled Skyrim in english, so you need to edit the iNi of the existing profiles manually.

MO might not even import the new iNis at all, as it saves the defaults in it's profile folder, so whatever iNi you might install afterwards, MO might not use them but instead refer to his own set of iNi files.

You're free make suggestions for MO, like having MO check if the language in his iNi files is still the same as in the vanilla files and if not make the profile iNi match the language from the vanilla files or by prompting the user with an appropriate question so the user can pick a action.

You can post this to the author via PM or comment on the Nexus or by posting in MOs bug tracker, which is linked somewhere in the description of MOs downlod page.

Archived