Thinking About making A Switch

meltedbytheun

Skyrim is getting very very boring. I've been thinking of going back to Oblivion. I do not own the pc version, so sadly I would have to play on Xbox. To be clear, I hated Oblivion, for lack of a better word. I hated that everyone had the same voice, I hated the leveled items, I hated much. However, and undeniable truth is that for all my bitching and complaining over the years, Oblivion had one feature that Skyrim can't come close to: Story. Every faction was gold. In Skyrim, I hate the story, but love the gameplay. In Oblivion, I love the story, but hate the gameplay. I was thinking about playing Oblivion again, but then I got this crazy Idea. What if I do a blind playthrough of Morrowind instead?

So, my question is: how would any of you rate Morrowinds story (including factions) against Skyrim, or Oblivion?

i haven't finished morrowind yet, but holy shit it's story is great (maybe even better than oblivion, and i reaaaaaaaaaally like oblivion)

My problem with morrowind was the gameplay, i played skyrim, then oblivion and then morrowind, and the gameplay differences are too big and the game felt weird for a loooooooong time, it's not bad, it's just dated and feels weird if you play it after playing skyrim and oblivion, but i highly recommend it, the story is amazing and if you can get used to the gameplay you'll enjoy each second playing it, also i think i never felt so immersed in game like i did wen i played morrowind

Well, I persoanlly never liked the Oblivion-Storyline. It looked good on paper because of its scale, but was poorly executed. Much the same about most factions: The magic guild war against Mannimarco was, especially in the last act, a joke. The Fighter-Story uninteresting and unspectacular, the thief-guild all about some personal problems of another person and with too much "Robin-Hood-Vibe" - I think Skyrim is better in every respect... (only the Brootherhood" is great in both games ... ironically the assassin-quests in morrowind are...meh)

Okay, now Morrowind. If you haven't played it until now ... well ... it will be a "shock" gameplaywise, because it is way less smooth and streamlined than Oblivion or Skyrim. So its likely you'll struggle in the beginning to get used to it...

Also the graphics are for sure outdated ... If you don't mod anything else at least try to find some good graphics mod. Especially the char-models were a catastrophe even back then, mods however actually made teh chars look good, and these mods will only make the game less ugly, without ruining the "vanilla"-experience. Oh, and there are nudemods of course, too :angel:

The story in Morrowind? Now that one exists only on paper ... which means it mostly happens in textboxes. And the final act and battle is mostly a dissapointment, with a laughable last dungeon and a bossfight that's totally lackluster. BUT, and please see the HUGE BUT here: its still an awesome story for a reason: The whole culture of the Dunmer, their history, religion, customs, politics, all is amazingly to dive into, if you take your time and play the game slowly, not rushing it. If you read the books, ancient texts and exhaust the NPCs for answers ... all only in long text-boxes, but worth it.

And also it goes without saying: Both Addons are a must. Tribunal's Story is interesting in relation to the main story and has an epic boss-fight and some twist to it. Bloodmoon is less connected to the main story (like not at all) but oozes atmosphere out of every pore. It takes place on Solstheim, which you might or might not visited in Skyrim. Here is its first appearance, and it made me yearn for a game set in Skyrim (which after the dissapointing Oblivion I finally got, to my great delight!)

So yeah, I say try it. Get some graphical mods (you surely will get help about the best from some people here), and play it. What do you have to loose anyway? Morrowind plus addons should be fairly cheap to get nowadays (is it on Gog?) If you don't like it, all you lose are dollars worth a pack of cigarettes or so...and if you like it, you have played one of the games that truly is a marvelous gems in RPG-history ... :)

I actually own morrowind. I picked it up years ago, before I had a decent PC. I played Morrowind on a shitty laptop, which worked fine. At the time, I sunk maybe 5 hours into the game, but no more and I had 3 main gameplay complaints. 1: Items in the environment gave no indication that taking them would be "theft." 2: The combat. Yeah, that sums it up. 3: No fast travel. (However, since I started using the Realistic Needs and Diseases mod, I no longer fast travel, at least in Skyrim, anyway.) The three main mods I would like to pick up, to start, are as follows: 1: A User Interface Mod. Mainly, something that would give me some indication that taking an item is theft would be great, but other features are always nice. 2: Combat mod. Yeah, that sums it up. 3: Some kind of realistic needs mod. 

If I had those three mods I bet I would love Morrowind. Any recommendations? 

Personally, I think the only good storyline in Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood. Thieves Guild wasn't too bad, but the whole "go fence X gold worth of stuff between missions" kinda killed the flow. And the Fighter's Guild didn't even use half of the guild houses.

Morrowind has a great story(and you can even screw yourself over and still do the important stuff), though I'm not too well-known on the guild stories. They have to be better than "We look down on Necromancy, so we're all gonna get killed by some crummy High Elf Necromancer because he has a nifty title" though.

If you are younger person and never played older games like Morrowind you maybe don't like it it's harder and higher learning curve not so smooth as maybe skyrim plus graphics outdated compare to todays standard.

No fast travel and many dungeons look the same only about 4 voices. Still its by far the best in the series.

But Morrowind if you don't mind more difficult gameplay and harder combat plus graphics(i suggest play it classic style which i prefer) its BEST of all Elder Scroll by larg margin.

Morrowind is must have for all RPG lovers and specially for Elder Scroll solo fans it's simply best game in the series.

Still plenty of mods out there to tweak morrowind also and make it look better if you prefer that.

Morrowind was my first maybe thats why i love it so much bought it in 2002 so that explains my fanboyism a little :D

P.S Ok maybe forget this reply i read your reply and you want smooth combat and fast travel then morrowind is not for you sorry i wasted your time with my reply.

Archived