HDT Sheathed Weapons [WIP]

HDT enabled weapons on back and hips (Weapons bounce around while unequipped)

THE MOD IS NOW OUT ON NEXUS, this site just won't work for me >.<

VIDEO ON YOUTUBE

EDIT:

Okay so i did it myself, will release if i solve some problems >>.

- Has anyone got any idea how to get the "attach bone", on the quiver, to allign with the quivers center of gravity. I realize i could just edit every quiver to attach in the center instead of at the very bottom, but any other way?  So it would be more compatible.

Currently working almost perfectly:

Swords

Bows

Maces

(Sorry for English) 

Gratz on doing it.

Now why are you asking for others to do it when you clearly say that yourself possess the skills to do so?

Also, plenty of this has been suggested numerous times, a simple forum search will turn up a few.

Here's an example from just 3 days ago:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/35394-req-hdt-for-sheathed-weapons-quivers-etc/

Next time, try reading the forums, or doing a simple search.

sorry, guess i didnt search with the right keywords.

I actually don't have the skills. The weapons are bouncing but pointing away from the body, as i just linked the bones.They need to be rotated, and probably need some custom more subtle bounciness.

Hello,

I am wondering why no one has suggested this yet. HDT physics for weapons on the body -I just tried adding the bones for holstered/sheathed weapons to the HDT xml, and it worked. Weapons were bouncing around on the hip and back when i was running. This should be looked into!

It doesnt seem to require a new skeleton, i just linked to the "WeaponSword" bone on the skeleton, just requires some xml editing.

It doesnt look quite right though, as i have no knowledge og editing the hdt stuff.

Can someone with the skills please make this?

(Sorry for the english, and if i posted this wrong, or did anything wrong really. First post)

That's what I always wanted for Skyrim!! O.O

Now working! :D

i have uploaded a video to youtube but i cant post it here(dunno how) it says no anchors in text or something....

edit:

Ah, internet Explorer was to blame. Now Theres a video in first post. Bouncyness has improved since i recorded video though.

- Has anyone got any idea how to get the "attach bone", on the quiver, to allign with the quivers center of gravity. I realize i could just edit every quiver to attach in the center instead of at the very bottom, but any other way?  So it would be more compatible.

I'm not familiar with the "attach bone" (not sure if that's an actual name of a bone on the skeleton), but you can affect the point of origin the quiver bone can move by adjusting the Center of Mass, the Joint Pivots, and the Linear and Angular Basis of the constraints in the .xml.

I don't have any specific examples to show at the moment, but play around with those values one by one and you'll see the difference. Hope this helps!

I'm not familiar with the "attach bone" (not sure if that's an actual name of a bone on the skeleton), but you can affect the point of origin the quiver bone can move by adjusting the Center of Mass, the Joint Pivots, and the Linear and Angular Basis of the constraints in the .xml.

I don't have any specific examples to show at the moment, but play around with those values one by one and you'll see the difference. Hope this helps!

I already tried moving those around, but unfortunatly it doesnt seem to change the point/bone where the quiver is attached. Thats the problem, its the point on the quiver where it attaches to the skeleton i want to change.

I already tried moving those around, but unfortunatly it doesnt seem to change the point/bone where the quiver is attached. Thats the problem, its the point on the quiver where it attaches to the skeleton i want to change.

Hm, not sure why that would be an issue... Ideally you want to leave the positioning of the bone in the skeleton and the quiver objects unchanged. I'm pretty sure you can set offsets in the .xml itself (I would suggest experimenting more with the constraint numbers--particularly the Linear Limits). If you are able to, feel free to PM me your progress on the arrow quivers and I'll see what I can do to adjust it, if possible.

I already tried moving those around, but unfortunatly it doesnt seem to change the point/bone where the quiver is attached. Thats the problem, its the point on the quiver where it attaches to the skeleton i want to change.

Hm, not sure why that would be an issue... Ideally you want to leave the positioning of the bone in the skeleton and the quiver objects unchanged. I'm pretty sure you can set offsets in the .xml itself (I would suggest experimenting more with the constraint numbers--particularly the Linear Limits). If you are able to, feel free to PM me your progress on the arrow quivers and I'll see what I can do to adjust it, if possible.

I figured it out, thanks for the help, but it seems a bit more unstable and jumpy after i moved it.

I still have some issues with the axe and mace, they are both constantly moving a little, will do some more tweaking and then release an alpha.

I figured it out, thanks for the help, but it seems a bit more unstable and jumpy after i moved it.

I still have some issues with the axe and mace, they are both constantly moving a little, will do some more tweaking and then release an alpha.

No problem, glad I could help.

If there's too much jiggle in movement, you might want to heighten the Tensors and tweak the motor values (most likely set on SpringDamperConstraint). Most importantly, you want to leave the Time Factor at 1 to prevent the movement from lagging in real-time. If it moves too fast, just increase the Inertia Tensor values some more and/or increase Linear and Angular Damping.

It's very well balanced for my taste. Should be more smooth? maybe, more bouncy? hell no, less clipping is always better. It's amazing how it looks even your chacter is running.

Thanks for the quick response.

Now i just have to make it work independently, without using the same file as the body. Like "hdtequipment.xml" that way it would be the most compatible.

How would i go about doing that? I have seen people do hdt earrrings and stuff like that with its own xml.

Now i just have to make it work independently, without using the same file as the body. Like "hdtequipment.xml" that way it would be the most compatible.

How would i go about doing that? I have seen people do hdt earrrings and stuff like that with its own xml.

That is the tricky part.

To learn how to link HDT Havok data to .nifs, follow this tutorial from Vioxsis: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/19451-old-hdt-support-thread/?p=516746

If you want full customize-ability, and have way too much time on your hands, attach the .xml to the weapon itself, but that would require adding the .xml to every weapon .nif file and those with custom replacers will have to do it themselves and you can see how tedious and messy this can get. Definitely not for everyone. On the plus side, the physics will load and unload whenever the particular item is equipped and unequipped, just as long as you provide an .xml for each object (quiver.xml for all quivers, sword.xml for all swords, etc). I personally see this as a best option, even though it's a load of work. However, one foreseeable issue might be error spam in the HDTPhysicsExtension log. Because some weapons/ammo can drop as ground objects, if the .xml is still attached to them, then the log may record issues with not finding a desired bone to bind physics to (because the object is no longer parented to the skeleton, and the skeleton belongs to the player/npc instead of having it's own skeleton, like other equippable .nifs have). That would be a huge drawback to this method if it were the case. The only workaround to this is for the items that use the same .nif for ground and equipped, have duplicate items, one being the ground object, another being the equipped variant+HDT_PE, then forcing those changes in the .esp, which will alter the Vanilla/DLC/other mod's Item Forms... Again, a messy way to get it done, but at least each item is unique. Horrible for cross-compatibility between mods.

A better idea is to use one equip slot, make sure it's not a slot already taken by numerous other objects (though that is hard to gauge with the many other clothes/armor/equippable mods out there). The .nif itself will be linked to the .xml with all the physics info and once it's equipped, the physics will work (exactly how HDT Havok Object works). Basically make an item that can be equipped, that item in turn activates the physics data. If the physics screw up, unequip and reequip the item to reset it. You can go a step further and make it auto equip to all NPCs by putting the object into every single outfit (but this will definitely clash with mods that alter the same forms). The main issue is finding that magic slot that every other mod neglects to use. Other than that, it can be a craftable object that one can equip to their player and NPCs. This option is best for those who want a plug-n-play variant of the mod with the least amount of headache-inducing conflicts.

Ideally, you want to keep it attached to the body (because the bones it binds to are the same bones attached to that body), but anyone with custom body .xmls will need to physically add the new rigid body and constraint data into their own .xmls themselves, copying each value one-by-one in the JFF tool or text editor. Not as tedious as the first option and saves slot positions taken from the second option. Unless there is a tool that can help auto combine .xmls with both rigid body and constraint data perfectly, then there's really no easy way to implement the physics and expect it to be compatible with everything.

If anyone is still authoring the HDT_PE plugin, I would request a list function so that instead of a physics.xml, the Havok path can pull a list.xml. That certain list.xml will list all the other physics.xmls that the plugin can read from, dynamically playing back different combinations of physic .xmls for each list.xml. This may alleviate the weapon.mls clashing with custom body.xmls. For example, the female_body.nif can be linked to a HDT_PE_FemaleList.xml, and that .xml defines a list which contains HDTFemaleBodyPhysics.xml, HDTQuiver.xml,and HDTMace.xml. And males could have their own separate list like HDT_PE_MaleList.xml, which contains HDTMaleBodyPhysics.xml, HDTSword.xml, HDTAxe.xml, etc. This will mean the user, after updating to the new system, will only ever need to update the list to play whatever .xmls they desire for that particular skeleton. But this is just wishful thinking on my end and I have no idea if users will be interested in that kind of mod editing...

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps!

Ideally, you want to keep it attached to the body (because the bones it binds to are the same bones attached to that body), but anyone with custom body .xmls will need to physically add the new rigid body and constraint data into their own .xmls themselves, copying each value one-by-one in the JFF tool or text editor. Not as tedious as the first option and saves slot positions taken from the second option. Unless there is a tool that can help auto combine .xmls with both rigid body and constraint data perfectly, then there's really no easy way to implement the physics and expect it to be compatible with everything.

If anyone is still authoring the HDT_PE plugin, I would request a list function so that instead of a physics.xml, the Havok path can pull a list.xml. That certain list.xml will list all the other physics.xmls that the plugin can read from, dynamically playing back different combinations of physic .xmls for each list.xml. This may alleviate the weapon.mls clashing with custom body.xmls. For example, the female_body.nif can be linked to a HDT_PE_FemaleList.xml, and that .xml defines a list which contains HDTFemaleBodyPhysics.xml, HDTQuiver.xml,and HDTMace.xml. And males could have their own separate list like HDT_PE_MaleList.xml, which contains HDTMaleBodyPhysics.xml, HDTSword.xml, HDTAxe.xml, etc. This will mean the user, after updating to the new system, will only ever need to update the list to play whatever .xmls they desire for that particular skeleton. But this is just wishful thinking on my end and I have no idea if users will be interested in that kind of mod editing...

Thanks for the indepth response.

Yeah i came to the same conclusion, but that list function in the main HDT plugin i didnt think about - that would be very useful.

So i guess i should just release it as it is, until another solution is found. I have no experience in the creationkit and don't know how to make the hdt items to equip or craft that you are talking about.

Could you make something? maybe like a weapon sling thingy you have to equip before any weapon?

Could you make something? maybe like a weapon sling thingy you have to equip before any weapon?

Here is a package I made for you. It contains an .esp that allows you to craft a Weapon Sling item at a tanning rack for 3 leather strips and 1 iron ingot. The item weighs 0.50 carry points in the inventory and can be dropped (it has it's own unique ground object that uses vanilla textures). It can be sold for 30 gold (almost twice it's worth making it, I suppose).

When equipped, nothing visible on the character changes, but the .nif file contains a very basic mesh (1tri, super tiny, and probably renders invisible) bound to one of the skeleton bones (the "NPC Pelvis [Pelv]" node). The .nif file should be linked to the HDT Havok Path "Data\skse\plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensions\weapons\weaponsling.xml". The "weaponsling.xml" in my package is blank, so it won't show any physics. All you need to do is replace that .xml file with your .xml (ideally, it should contain nothing but the affected bones [preferably vanilla bones for maximum compatibility] for rigid bodies and constraints; collision data is relative to the Collisions' GroupIDs, if it's included at all--all the body stuff should be left to the other .xmls).

This should be compatible with most humanoid races in the game (as long as they have the bones that exist within the .xml). The only issues would be anything equipped that takes up the Biped Object Slot 44 (reserved for bloodied dragon heads, but otherwise free for humanoids).

Here it is and hope it helps!

hdt_weaponsling.zip