Fresh Install, Instant CTD - USKP Only

xarathos

So this is the weird thing.

My game started crashing before the main menu finished loading. So I reset to nothing except SKSE and the official DLCs, stuff started loading again. The moment I installed the Unofficial Skyrim Patches, the game crashed.

I don't really understand how this could be happening? Especially since, well, they worked fine yesterday. I don't even know what changed, or why they'd crash the game when they're the only thing installed.

I've cleaned my official DLCs, went through the entire load order over and over again ... so far, this has been the only thing that impacted it. I even tried updating to the latest alpha but it hasn't helped. :/

Am I missing something here? Is there anything I can be trying to get it working again?

Crashes before the main menu are always missing masters/plugins or other tweaks you did to your Skyrim (SKSE memory patch).

If it crashed after installing the unofficial patches, it means you don't have one of the DLC's you installed a patch for or the order isn't right.

I agree with Asenasen. Use TesVEdit to check for missing/incompatible esp/esms. Perhaps something important is missing, or the USKPs are ordered incorrectly, or they may have been corrupted during the download process. Either way, check and see. It wouldn't hurt to use LOOT either. 

I'll check again — last night TES5Edit reported no errors. LOOT sorted the order as

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

USKP

Dawnguard

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Hearthfires

Unofficial Hearthfires Patch

Dragonborn

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

As I said, that was the weirdest part. Even resetting to only those, the game reached the main menu with the unofficial patches disabled. With any or all of them enabled, starting with the unofficial Skyrim patch, it crashed instantly.

I use Mod Organizer + LOOT to control everything, multiple sorts from LOOT reported no issues. I had briefly tried changing the memory settings in SKSE.ini but no matter what I set them to it didn't seem to make a difference in the crashing situation. :/

Anyway, I'll see if anything works better this morning, run through the steps again, and check back here with the results. Thanks.

So you either got a corrupted file in the install (in which case you should check your game cache with Steam), or there is an issue with SKSE. First, try to start the game normally, with Steam, not SKSE, then check your game cache, in that order. 

Did you put an ENB too ? I know the only other real reason why your game would crash before the main menu is because a third party program (like MSI Afterburner or Razer Game Booster) is interfering with an ENB which has effects like DoF

So you either got a corrupted file in the install (in which case you should check your game cache with Steam), or there is an issue with SKSE. First, try to start the game normally, with Steam, not SKSE, then check your game cache, in that order. 

Did you put an ENB too ? I know the only other real reason why your game would crash before the main menu is because a third party program (like MSI Afterburner or Razer Game Booster) is interfering with an ENB which has effects like DoF

Game starts via Steam with SKSE INSTALLED (I assume not running though since I used the official game launcher), ENB, and the official DLCs as the only mods. Gets to menu, anyway.

I guess I could try moving the unofficial patch files into the data folder but I admit I'm sort of loathe to move anything in there other than SKSE at this point.

(I did have Razer Game Booster installed but supposedly not running. Uninstalling it produced no change.)

Game also starts via SKSE shortcut from Mod Organizer as long as the unofficial patch is not checked in the load order. The BSA file can be checked without issue.

Attempted to reinstall the USKP from the downloaded file in MO, reinstall again from a manual download ... neither made any difference. Game still crashes at menu if the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp is loaded, regardless of load order, regardless of whether the other official DLCs are loaded, regardless of the presence or absence of the other unofficial patches. :/

(At my wits end .__.)

EDIT: Also tried moving the USKP to the data folder. Still crashed, so moved it back to MO.

EDIT2: Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Just tried launching the Skyrim.exe directly via MO with UKSP as the only mod. No crash. Found an SKSE folder in my Overwrite folder which confused me so pulling that. Some kind of memory blocks log file? Launched from SKSE after removing that and with USKP as the only mod, no dlcs, no crash.

Let's see where I can go from here. Maybe that was it. Stupid Overwrite folder...

Okay, so it wasn't the overwrite folder. Something else in my MO load order is doing it. 

AHA.

Removed my SKSE.ini file and suddenly the game loads with the USKP active.

What. The heck.

So I guess I have something bad in that that's making the USKP a problem and I need to take a look at rebuilding my ini file or something.

Just checking, but you did go to documents/my games/Skryim and delete that folder, didn't you? If not. try that then just run the vanilla launcher once to make a fresh one with new ini files. That folder contains junk from previous installs and it can wreak some havoc.

Also, be sure that MO's ini editor contains appropriate settings (sorry for being Captain Obvious). I copy the generated ini files then paste them into a new profile's ini's.

Weird.

Changing the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB setting to 768 and the ScrapHeapSizeMB to 256 got the menu to load. Going to add the rest of the load order back in and see if the fix persists.

Before yesterday I'd been running 1024 and 512 without issues ............

That's because if you installed one of those latest ENB presets since yesterday, with a memory patch inside which has a different memory allocation entry than the SKSE.ini, it could cause problems. There should be a line on your enbseries with the heaps numbers, you should put them at 1024 and 512 too and see what happens. 

Couldn't find a setting that looked like heap size in ENB but tweaked the ENB's reserved memory up and set 'reduce system memory usage' to false - I've got like 8 gigs on a 64 bit system, I don't think that'll cause me issues. 1024 in the SKSE setting still crashes it immediately so I guess I'll leave it at 768 for now.

Confusing, but hey, at least my game works again. And after the ENB tweak it seems to be a bit smoother than it was two days ago so there's that.

Dunno how the ENB could've done anything - I've been using the same preset for over a month now. Heck, I updated SKSE more recently. Maybe that did it ... 

Anyway. Thanks for the help, all. Seems to be working again for the moment - I'm not quite ready to light the fireworks, but hey, I'm just overcautious about celebrating.

Archived