How difficult is it to recolor textures?

Neodarkside

I'm not the best at Photoshop, most of what I learned of it was 10 years ago, I've tweaked sims 2 skins and thats about it. What I'd like to do is take this awesome armor, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36431/? and combine the white and black to make a sexy jesters outfit. Would need to find better gloves and boots for it so it would be a mashup style. Also standalone so it doesn't override the original.

Also the version I use of that armor is modified as well, its for the UNPB body and the shoulder pads are removed.

Depends on the complexity of the texture, but it's not that difficult if you can photoshop and you have the ability to export the files as a .dds.

I re-colored the green Scarlet Dawn scarf-thing that my character in my avatar image is wearing, for example. It didn't require anything special other than me having to acquire an add-on to GIMP that could read and export .dds files.

Edit: Although actually reading your post, you seem to be wanting to do a lot more than simple re-texturing. So what you're wanting to do will probably require a lot of stuff that I have no idea about.

Hmmmm ok, might have to try the gimp thing and see. I was decent at altering sims skin files. I assume its roughly the same, flat square texture image that wraps around the model?

The idea I had probably is simple. Take the white and black version, divide one of them into sections, left and right leg, left and right arm, torso divided in half and alternate the colors in a large checkerboard pattern. So black left arm connecting to half of a white torso, white right arm connecting to half of the black side torso, then same with the legs, one black and one white, all using the existing texture and patterns. In sims 2, I'd easily do this by layering one texture over the other and then simply deleting part of the top layer so the bottom shows thru.

I probably will try the program you suggested, because there are a few armors out there I'd love to recolor.

The texture work should be easy as you are matching stuff up. And you say you habe expirence :D

The standalone stuff would need you to copy all NIF files to a new path.

Same with texture files. Then you edit the NIF files with NifSkope and change the texture paths.

Lastly you create a new Armor in the Creation Kit.

Tutorials exist for all of this.

Archived