College of Winterhold CTD

Okay so here's an odd issue I am having now.

I am doing the College of Winterhold storyline, and just got the books for Hitting the Books quest. On my return trip to the College, I go to enter the Hall of the Elements, and I get an instant crash to desktop. Tried this a few times, same thing every time now. Instant crash.

The weird thing is, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the College storyline or the Hall of the Elements. Everything has been working great in my game. I got the Hitting the Books quest, and after collecting the books, all the sudden I crash now every time I try to enter the Hall of the Elements.

This is the stage in the quest when the Eye of Magnus has been moved to the College and Tolfdir has returned to the College. Before doing Hitting the Books, the Eye of Magnus and Tolfdir were still in Saarthal. But after you do Hitting the Books, they appear in the College.

So I'm guessing it's an issue with the Eye of Magnus, as it can't really be Tolfdir as I've had no issues with him before, doing all the other quests. It wasn't until the Eye of Magnus was moved to the College that now I crash to desktop every time I try to enter the Hall of the Elements (where the Eye of Magnus appears).

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Load order below.

Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
Oblivion hair2.esm
OblivionHairPackAIO.esm
Obl-VB hair.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
FoxHome_X.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
SexLab.esm
SGHairPackBase.esm
Skykids.esm
SK TheEyesOfBeauty.esm
SK Monli Race.esm
SK Drow Child Race.esm
TERAArmors.esm
WinterholdDestruction.esm
RelightingSkyrim-Full.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
USKP Patcher for RaceCompatibility.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp
Personalized Music.esp
ApachiiHelmetWigs.esp
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Climates of Tamriel - default.esp
DudestiaOutfitChanger.esp
SexLabMatchMaker.esp
SexLabDefeat.esp
towConversation.esp
SkyUI.esp
Customizable Camera.esp
Blade and Soul Collection.esp
Diamond Weapons Set.esp
Dread Crossbow.esp
Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp
FlameAtronachArmor.esp
FullBootForKKSA.esp
Lethal Majesty.esp
Merged Armors Set 1.esp
Mini Vamps.esp
Nicoroshi Collection.esp
nightshade_armor_UNPB.esp
Sapphire Rose.esp
TERAArmors.esp
TERAArmors - Leveled Lists.esp
TheAvengersHawkeyeArrowWepMod.esp
UniqueWeaponsRedone.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
Warcraft Weapons Set.esp
Warglaive of Azzinoth.esp
AetherSuite.esp
BHTNF.esp
ds3_terranova.esp
hjerimtnf.esp
HSTNF.esp
kankaraya.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
proudspiremanortnf.esp
VHTNF.esp
whiterunMarket.esp
armored-horses.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
CharredSkeeverReplacer.esp
db-nightshade-replacer.esp
ImmersiveFP.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - B3lisario UNP Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
SOS - Male Vanila Armor Cloths Conversion Custom.esp
SOS - Revealing DLC1 Conversion.esp
SOS - Revealing DLC2 Conversion.esp
SexLab Romance.esp
NusbieVoices.esp
xvisionchildren.esp
monli preset1.esp
monli preset2.esp
monli preset3.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
ETaC - Complete LoS Patch.esp
ETaC - Smelters.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp
ETaC - Complete EWDR Patch.esp
WhiterunAlivePiano.esp
DawnofRiften.esp
DawnofWindhelm.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp
SakuraSnow.esp
DVA - Dynamic Vampire Appearance.esp
Werewolves.esp
ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
Pinup Poser.esp
Halo's Poser.esp
AzarHairPonyTail 03 - Havok.esp
SGHairPackAIO.esp
SK ApachiiHair.esp
SK ApachiiHairFemales.esp
SK OblivionHairPackAIO.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
NPC_Overhaul_V_1_.esp
BlacksmithGirl.esp
BladesComandEsbernLookmoreglorius.esp
Brothers.esp
BW v2.6.esp
Companion_Ari.esp
Companionsguildrevamp.esp
Delphine.esp
DOA5.esp
Ellyfollower.esp
Frea.esp
Kate.esp
Onmund by CrimsonFairy.esp
Poet.esp
Rayya.esp
BVFE_Serana.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Watercolor_for_ENB_RWT.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
SK Child Armor Swapper.esp

Little update.

Seems it is an issue with the College in general after doing that quest. As soon as I map to the College, I can run around outside it fine and everything, but if I try to enter any door or even if I try to save in the area of the College, it crashes.

So it's not just that room, it is the whole College that causes me to crash. And it only started happening after the Eye of Magnus showed up.

I hope someone has an idea as to why this is happening. I'm tired of starting over all the time just to come across a bug like this that ruins my entire play through.

EDIT: Update two.

So I have come to the conclusion it is something outside on the College grounds or surrounding area. I was able to use the coc command to teleport inside the Hall of the Elements, and have had no trouble. But as soon as I try to leave the building, it crashes again. So it has to be something outside around the College grounds that is causing these crashes.

Yeah, tried that already. Got rid of Expanded Winterhold Destruction Ruins and got rid of Enhanced Towns and Cities.

Used the save cleaner thing on Nexus, followed the STEP guide to get a decent clean save, and tried again. Still the exact same thing. Crash on the exterior of Winterhold/College.

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever is all. I have always used those two mods, and they have never given me this issue before. It just started randomly happening for some reason. I was able to progress through the quest a bit more, but using the coc command and teleporting around to all the different rooms, but now I'm stuck again because I'm on the Staff of Magnus part where I have to return to the College. I have to take down the wall outside and then go into the Hall of the Elements. Which results in a crash every time.

I'm seriously just lost. I can teleport into the buildings just fine, but if I try to go outside, I crash. Yet if I map to Winterhold or the College, I can walk around outside just fine. But if I try to enter the buildings or even try to save, I crash. I am seriously confused as to what is causing this.

EDIT: Just more information.

Check the papyrus log shows absolutely nothing. No errors or anything that are happening when I crash. It is normal. Even waited 31 days and still the same thing. Crash to desktop every time I visit the exterior of Winterhold or the College and try to save or go through a door.

Yeah I've been google searching everywhere to find anything on this, but haven't found a thing.

Was able to finally finish all the quests there, via console quest advancing and coc teleporting. Was not fun.

But while this solves the issue of having to deal with Winterhold never again, it still doesn't solve the crashing whenever I get around Winterhold. So if I do anything else that is going to require me to go in the vicinity of Winterhold or back to the College, I'm going to have to deal with the crashing again.

I verified my cache and had five files that failed to validate. Thought that might be the problem, but nope. Still crashing. No help in the papyrus log as it shows everything is normal. Waited thirty one days, and still nothing. It is extremely confusing and frustrating.

Let's see... I had some crashes where my gamesave wouldn't load, especially whenever I had non-vanilla weaponry on. Fortunately MO had the logging enabled by default (the file is called modorganizer.log) and so I was able to determine the causes of crashes, such as when some 3rd-party meshes create CTD conditions by conflicting with the shaders.

The solution was to open up the console at the main menu, then coc qasmoke so that most of the mods will be loaded easy into memory, before loading the gamesave in question.

Additionally you may have to use TES5edit to look for mods that could have changed Winterhold.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been awhile, BUT I finally figured it out (hopefully)!

It is Personalized Music. More specifically, the College addon for Personalized Music. I noticed something off about it, like whenever I entered the College, no music played ever. Even though I have the College addon and have the right music files in it. Yet no music ever played.

Well was testing some stuff today, and I disabled it. Then tried to enter and leave anywhere in Winterhold, and voila. It worked finally. Enabled Personalized Music again, and instant CTD if I try to enter or leave a building in Winterhold or the College.

So I have finally narrowed it down to Personalized Music. So now I need to redo my music and get a new Personalized Music merged patch without the College this time, and see if that works hopefully.

BUT at least I finally figured it out, so if anyone else is having this issue, try disabling Personalized Music.

Archived