Normal maps and (SoS)feet?

appalling

So to start off, does anyone know if Skyrim offers support for normal maps for the feet? I am about to release an update for my 'Extra Furry Khajiit,' skin mod, and it includes model space normal (msn.dds) maps for the body and the hands, but the feet get left out.

post-228604-0-95381800-1394667728_thumb.png

I also need to know if working with SoS might have an effect on it. I don't think so, but I thought I'd check.

On your foot nif bs num uv sets must be set to 4097 under the trishapedata. The feet look like they might be having tangent/vertex color problems so you may want to reset those too-the view port has a mesh option when you right click so you can do that. Adding/reapplying smoothing in the viewport might make a difference too, but uv sets and vertex color are probably causing your issues right now.

Could you post a preview of the msn file?

Is it a "object space normal map" (rainbow-like colors) or "tangent space normal map" (blueish colors)? I'm asking this because I saw your "Extra Furry Khajiit" textures and it uses "tangent space normal map". You can use either type, but the mesh's flags have to match your texture (nifskope / BSLightingShaderProperty / Shader Flags 1 / SLSF1_Model_Space_Normals).

How are you creating the textures? In your current mod the feet are in the right position.

Could you post a preview of the msn file?

Is it a "object space normal map" (rainbow-like colors) or "tangent space normal map" (blueish colors)? I'm asking this because I saw your "Extra Furry Khajiit" textures and it uses "tangent space normal map". You can use either type, but the mesh's flags have to match your texture (nifskope / BSLightingShaderProperty / Shader Flags 1 / SLSF1_Model_Space_Normals).

How are you creating the textures? In your current mod the feet are in the right position.

These are beautiful rainbow maps, created following your tutorial on the subject. Thank you for that, it was very useful to me. :)

These screenshots were taken with only the 'object space,' maps in use. I think the 'tangent' maps aren't of use anymore when you have 'object,' maps, but I could be completely wrong. At least for the hands and body, the 'object,' maps seemed to nullify the effect of the 'tangent,' maps.

The feet have a mesh separate from the body, but they use the same diffuse maps as the body. Do they use the same 'object,' map as the body as well?

I created my textures by using nifskope to export an .obj file to 3D Max. In this case the body, which doesn't include the foot mesh with it.

post-228604-0-09017700-1394757610_thumb.png

Then I used xNormal to get the final product. (A great program, thanks for pointing me to it.)

Archived