effects of rmoving mods

finalx31

just had a question, i know that the more complex mods with scripts can cripple a save game. but are there any effects to removing small mods like armor mods or npc additions? they seem to disappear from all i can tell with no long term effects.

thanks in advance

Guest airdance

I have remove many a small mod with no problem. However, it is best to go into the folders and check to see that you have removed everything pertaining to that mod.

Mesh and texture mods, which is basically all armor mods are, can be removed with no issues.

You can remove scripted mods, too. But you have to either revert to a save from before the scripting was added (the best option, although not possible if the game was started with these scripts) and you can also add to SKSE to help remove them.

Go to Skyrim/data/SKSE and make a file called "SKSE.ini" if there isn't one already there. Then open that ini file and add the lines

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

and be sure to save the ini file afterward. This will allow SKSE to slowly, over a period of time, kill off orphaned scripts. It could take several real world hours to kill them off, but it will do it in time.

Archived