femalehead.nif loose file not loading

chajapa

I am trying to understand why I can not get a femalehead.nif file to load from the vanilla character assets 

meshes\actors\character\character assets

It's been my understanding that the load order is something like this:

.bsa (a registered (official) bsa )

can be overridden by a loose file

would then be overridden by a custom bsa

In my case I'm working with the HDT extension. There was (is) no femalehead.nif in my vanilla character assets. It appears to be covered by the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa

I had THOUGHT that if I put a femalehead.nif into the vanilla character assets folder, that it would then load after that bsa.

This does not appear to be the case. 

Is there a setting in the .ini file somewhere that I have to add or change so that it will load a loose file after the bsa?

I'm not heavily modded and other than installing the SevenBase body, I don't believe I've got anything going on that changes the vanilla characters heads.

Thanks

Use the normal Skyrim launcher and on the Data Files page make sure to check Load Loose Files.

I don't know why you'd need HDT physics for a face though... it seems pointless. It wouldn't affect hair.

Apparently the "Load Loose Files" option is gone as of a patch. But the game is now supposed to do this automatically. 

First of all, confirm that your .xml is not being loaded. You can do this by looking into hdtPhysicsExtensions.log in your Data\SKSE\Plugins\ directory. If it loads, you'll see something like

[02/18/14 18:05:34]INFO: Physics system loaded : SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml

Ofcourse with your path and .xml name.

If you specified an incorrect .xml path or name, you'll se a warning about it missing.

If you see nothing like this, you're probably using a some kind of a custom race with a custom head located somewhere else.

Tough to tell for sure if the loose file is loading. But yes, I'm using the lack of HDT collision as evidence that it is not loading. If I put the same edit for HDT into the femalefeet_0 and femalefeet_1 it works. 

My Lunari race character had a femalehead.nif in the Lunari directory. I edited that head file and collisions were then enabled. 

My vanilla character assets did NOT have a femalehead.nif in it. So I extracted the one from the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa and edited it for HDT collisions and put it into the vanilla character assets folder. No collisions. I edited the vanilla female feet_0 and _1 and then collisions were enabled. 

This is what leads me to believe that the femalehead.nif is not being loaded from the loose files.

First of all, confirm that your .xml is not being loaded. You can do this by looking into hdtPhysicsExtensions.log in your Data\SKSE\Plugins\ directory. If it loads, you'll see something like

[02/18/14 18:05:34]INFO: Physics system loaded : SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml

Ofcourse with your path and .xml name.

If you specified an incorrect .xml path or name, you'll se a warning about it missing.

If you see nothing like this, you're probably using a some kind of a custom race with a custom head located somewhere else.

No errors in the log. No warnings about missing anything. This was another reason I started trying to figure out if the femalehead.nif was loading as a loose file. If it was loading, I should either see the message about Physics system loaded OR a message about a missing file or incorrect path or something. I've had none of those.

I may try putting an incorrect path in there on purpose just to try it :)

Archived