StorageUtil.save corrupted?

To cut the chase, I can't play Skyrim with SexLab enabled.  The game doesn't launch properly.  If I remove StorageUtil.save from my SKSE/Plugins folder, I can get to the main menu, but I crash when I load a save game.  If I remove StorageUtil.dll as well, I get an infinite loading screen.  In order to play, I have to remove StorageUtil.save and disable SexLab in my load order.  StorageUtil.save isn't included in the SexLab download, and I have no idea what to do from here.  It certainly seems that there's something wrong with my StorageUtil.save, but I don't know what it does nor do I have a clean version available.

I'm not sure how many of the following events are relevant to my issue, but here goes:

-I had a sex scene in the College of Winterhold's Archmage quarters.  I noticed that whenever I tried to save immediately afterwards, I got a CTD.  I started the animation through SexLab Submit.  I 'fixed' the problem by waiting a while and then instead of quicksaving, just leaving the cell.

-Later on, in that same room, when a certain High Elf freezes time to speak to you, I quicksaved while the effect began.  I received a CTD.

-I was unable to access the game for awhile after that.  The game seems to start and it shows in the Task Manager that it's taking a healthy, normal amount of CPU consumption and my fans start spinning faster, but the game doesn't ever show up on-screen and I can't switch to it.  I eventually found that I could still get to the main menu if I removed StorageUtil.dll and StorageUtil.save under SKSE/Plugins.  However, I got an infinite loading screen whenever I loaded a save.

-I updated SexLab and tried again to no avail.  I tried again with StorageUtil.dll (the version from the updated SexLab), but not StorageUtil.save.  It crashed instead at the loading screen.  Again, however, with both of these files in their proper directories, the game doesn't open.  I believe I can play if I remove both of the aforementioned files and uncheck SexLab-related mods from my load order, but I haven't tested much.  I don't exactly know how SexLab generates the StorageUtil.save, because there isn't one in the download.

I should also mention that I emailed the SKSE team (because the game launched fine without the SKSE launcher) and they told me my StorageUtil.dll was crashing.  It's clear then that StorageUtil.dll is dependent on the corresponding .save file (though I don't have any idea what either of them do).  I also was consulting the Nexus Forums, and I don't know if I'm allowed to link to that here, but if so, I will.  It was there that I was told to play around with the StorageUtil files.

If any of you have any ideas or encountered something like this, any help is very, very welcome.  Because Skyrim without SexLab is like spaghetti without meatballs.

Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

Just delete the .save file, it's only dependent on it if it exists as it'll try to read it when the game starts, if you delete it it'll just skip it and generate a new non-corrupted one when it needs to.

And it would probably help the author of StorageUtil find a fix for it getting corrupted in the first place if you can post the contents of your .save file when opened in a text editor.

Oh, I fixed the problem a while ago now.  What it was was I needed to remove both StorageUtil's, disable SexLab, enter the game, and make a save.  The new StorageUtil.save regenerated itself after saving, which was a step I hadn't tried earlier (or it could've been starting a new character, but I doubt it).

Unfortunately, I no longer have my corrupt .save.  Sorry, but hope these instructions help anyone else with this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, I fixed the problem a while ago now.  What it was was I needed to remove both StorageUtil's, disable SexLab, enter the game, and make a save.  The new StorageUtil.save regenerated itself after saving, which was a step I hadn't tried earlier (or it could've been starting a new character, but I doubt it).

Unfortunately, I no longer have my corrupt .save.  Sorry, but hope these instructions help anyone else with this problem.

Dude, you are my hero

Archived