[Personal Project][WIP] - The Diamond Mine: Back in Business

TheLordofMist

This is a Sexout-themed pet project of mine that I've been working on since this morning... The Diamond Mine.

It is, or rather will -eventually- be, a pre-war Vegas Cathouse brought back to life by the enterprising "Madam Duclair" and her collection of misfits and freaks.

It's only just in the early-early stages of construction... as in I haven't even finished the main hallways or decided where, precisely, this building will actually exist in the world. So bear that in mind before you let yourself get excited about seeing this. At current, it's little more than a few quickly-designed rooms, some mood lighting, and three candles which are currently burning MUCH more intensely than I'd expected...

Still, given the nature of the project, I figured it might be of interest to some of the folks around here who've been asking for a brothel for a while. I'd love to get some feedback on things as I continue designing the interiors and start working on populating it with NPCs.

So, without further ado, I present to you the first (terrible) screenshots of what will, eventually, be "The Diamond Mine".

Try not to let your eyes bleed too much.

More to come...

post-34126-0-10980600-1387425503_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-58600800-1387425511_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-64477000-1387425516_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-87243900-1387425523_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-16952600-1387425538_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-75630900-1387425555_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-20338200-1387425568_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-27536500-1387425588_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-93326600-1387425608_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-88692200-1387425624_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-38156200-1387425648_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-90028300-1387425834_thumb.jpg

So, today has been dedicated primarily to designing two rooms.

The first belongs to a cheerfull-if-not-too-bright girl by the name of Bubbles... who has a thing for baths. I've been having a little trouble with the bathwater, though. It seems to do very weird things, which I couldn't manage to catch on camera. I think it has something to do with the light/reflection refraction stuff.

I don't know enough just yet to fix it, however, so while I was hunting down the solution to that... I started work on the more interesting of the two rooms.

As you can see, it's an infirmary.

Here, the needs of the men and women working on The Diamond Mine's front lines receive treatment for everything from cuts and sprains to third degree burns and bullet wounds.

There may or may not eventually be an Auto-Doc installed here. For now, Amy Saunders is the resident physician. [Not Pictured]

ADDENDUM:

Please forgive miss 'Starry Knight' for her... excitable nature. She just can't pass up an opportunity to get off.

post-34126-0-88043900-1387484620_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-79043800-1387484629_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-53860100-1387484638_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-01851400-1387484651_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-58183900-1387484659_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-77105800-1387484682_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-24079000-1387484698_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-89694400-1387484709_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-59017400-1387484721_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-69466800-1387484876_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-84749300-1387484895_thumb.jpg

post-34126-0-30418900-1387484909_thumb.jpg

So I've spent the last couple of days playing around with ideas for the two private booths in the lounge area.

After all, I want them to be usable. I can only imagine all the uses you folks will find for the tables, booths, and whatever floor space you can find.

Anyhow, the end result still isn't quite what I want it to be... but it's getting closer. I'll toy around with them a little more, but I do want to get finished with the hallways and rooms so that I can start thinking about designing the building's exterior. My goal is to avoid what Bethesda and Obsidian both did with the Vanilla game, and to try to build the interior as close to scale with the exterior as possible.

No pictures this time around, but there'll be a bunch of them coming as soon as I stop GECKing around and fire this puppy up in game.

Expect to catch a glimpse of Dr. Saunders, the revised Private Booths, and at least a couple of new rooms... if not their occupants.

Interesting idea, especially is the character can choose to work there and take clients to a room  instead of just out in the floor. I will be keeping a eye on this project.

Eventually, I'd very much like for it to do that.

I'm doing this for the purpose of practicing all those parts of modding I've never quite managed to wrap my head around... namely dialogue, scripting, and quests. These have always been things I've wanted to learn to do, but somehow I've just never managed to figure it out. Usually, by the time I do, someone comes along and does whatever I was trying to do better anyway.

I won't be accepting that cop-out this time. It's 'The Diamond Mine' or Bust.

Right now, though, I'm very much enjoying the thing I do best... designing interiors and exteriors, NPCs, and establishing backstory. This is the only part of this project I'm actually certain I'll enjoy, and it's also the part that it makes sense to get finished first. After all, it doesn't matter WHAT the player can do... if there's no rooms or buildings to do it.

Once I've got the floorplan and room designs done, I'm going to take a look at the Dialogue editor. Even if it is unvoiced... I want my characters to be interesting, fleshed-out people whom the player will actually ENJOY interacting with. For reasons other than their being prostitutes.

But yes, to get back to what you said, the plan has always been to eventually let the player work the club. In ways other than just going at it in the middle of the floor.

====================================================

LONG WINDED EXPLANATION OF PLANNED CONTENT AHEAD

====================================================

Here's a basic rundown of how I plan to have the Diamond Mine function. There are four primary stages the player will face upon becoming a Diamond Mine contractor:

Stage 1:  New employees will start in one of the lower floor rooms, with only the basic amenities at their disposal. A bed, some dressers with fairly low-quality clothes, and maybe a sink to wash up in. The customers who visit here won't exactly be the high-rollers, so they won't be paying much... but there will be a fairly steady flow of them.

Each of these repeatable 'clients' will be a mini 'quest'... and each one that leaves satisfied will earn you a small sum of EXP and caps.

Stage 2: As the player goes through the various 'generic' rotation of random clients, eventually a higher-profile customer will turn up. This customer will be a more fleshed-out character, complete with unique quirks and more detailed requests. In order to meet the demands of the client, the character's success will hinge upon his or her stats... attributes... equipment... and even your interactions with other members of the staff.

It may just so happen that your new 'VIP client' wants a threesome... or a bath... or something kinky you don't have, but Bubbles does... or even an audience. If your co-workers hate you, you're not going to get them to come play with you, watch you, or lend you anything of theirs. Whether the client leaves disappointed or satisfied, they'll remember... and it WILL affect future interactions with them.

Satisfied VIPS equal much greater EXP rewards and payments...  but not all VIPs are created equal.

Stage 3: As the player works, he or she will be making a name for themself. Whether this is a good name, or a bad one, all depends upon the actions they take. Positive performances will make haggling for a better price easier, increase the number of clients (generic and VIP) available, and eventually earn the player a place on the upper floor.

Poor performances will result in fewer generic clients, very few VIPs, and a dramatic increase in the difficulty of haggling for a better price.

If poor performance reaches an as-of-yet-undecided threshold, the player may even find themselves moved into the shabbiest, worst room in the house. If a secondary threshold is reached, the player will be fired.

Stage 4:  In the 'endgame' stage of employment, the player will be moved to a much nicer, (perhaps even upgradable) room on the upper floor of the club. Once this happens, lower-tier client satisfaction will essentially cease to matter. Super-VIPs, the wealthiest and most influential names in Vegas, not to mention a fair few of the Diamond Mine's shareholders, will become your clients.

So long as you keep these Super-VIPs happy, taking lower-tier clients becomes a personal choice rather than a requirement of employment.

However, Super-VIP clients also represent the most time-consuming, involved quests available. Each one is a fully-fledged character, with their own personal likes and dislikes... kinks and quirks. It will be entirely up to the player to figure out how to navigate the minefield that is the psyche of a High-Profile brothel patron.

Additionally, there will be non-prostitution related goings on around the brothel. These will be as numerous and extensive as I can manage before losing steam or suffering from creative failure, so I won't go into too-much-further detail just now.

Suffice it to say that these activities will include social interactions with your employers, and co-workers... and that the ramifications of these actions can drastically chance the atmosphere of the brothel.

I won't be accepting that cop-out this time. It's 'The Diamond Mine' or Bust.

Hmmm...we'll se about THAT in a couple of months I guess :dodgy:  But I wish you all the strength, willpower and patience needed to pull this of.

I said it a couple of days here before that I was baffled nobody ever had made a true working brothel with content etc for New Vegas. Instead we still have to fuck our clients right there on the floor. So I really, really hope you can pull this off, and I cross my fingers :shy: and I am sure I am not the only one.

The ideas so far sound great, especially that you want to focus a lot on quests, interaction and characters. Exactly what Sexout needs. Sexmechanics and animations are all nice and sound, but without context and feedback from the characters/NPCs involved it gets rather stale fast...

Reading through the thread I still have some /small) questions: An infirmay in a brothel? So I guess some "harder" stuff will be included as well? Will some of the kinkier clients involve creature support, or its not you stuff (which would be sad but okay of course) and are you considering to have your brothel with some "show"...I was always annoyed that the Gamorrah has this giant stage and only some dancers standing there...would be cool if they would dance one time, next time you enter the house a lesbian couple performs, or a girl gets ploughed by multiple men etc, with the patrons cheering/commenting on all this. And of course you could participate as well ...

Just a random idea :D But I don't want to burden you too much....now just get back to work so we'll get a chance to see the brothel's interiors. I am curious....and will keep an eye on this as well

MINOR UPDATE:

Today has been a bit of a setback so far.

Last night, after attempting to re-install a number of mods which have been malfunctioning lately, I apparently also managed to activate something which I had deactivated due to causing CTDs. Unfortunately, in my sleep deprived state, I couldn't figure out what it was. Well, it turns out that even after disabling EVERY ESM EXCEPT the New Vegas itself, it still CTD'd on startup.

In a fit of rage, I uninstalled Fallout: New Vegas and re-installed it overnight.

Thankfully, even in my exhausted state, I had the presence of mind to save the projects I was working on.

So, while this does mean that I'll be spending today primarily re-installing a smaller selection of mods, it does mean that I haven't actually lost any progress already made. It has, however, given me time to go back and look at some of the mistakes I've made thus far. I've decided as a result that my first order of business upon returning to work will be to build a Master File which will contain all the base functionality of the mod.

Also, it's given me some time to wonder over precisely how to handle the resources this mod will use.

Firstly: I've already decided that this mod will require the full suite of DLC. If you don't have it by now, you should really go get it. The objects and items it provides for me to utilize simply don't exist in any other form... and they're too vital to the design of this mod for me to strip out. So, I do apologize if this leaves any of you reading this out in the cold. But, hey... there's a Holiday Sale on Steam right now. So if you don't already have all the DLC... go friggin' get it already! It's worth the money, if for no other reason than it gives mods like this more toys to work with in their design.

Secondly: Dependency on other mods is an issue I've been struggling with. I'd like to keep the list of required mods as small as possible, but there are a few mods out there whose resources are almost MANDATORY for this project.

Chief among these other mods is NVInteriors. The fact of the matter is, I can't even bring myself to load up Fallout: New Vegas without this mod installed. ChuckSteel's work provides numerous missing pieces of tilesets, a plethora of items with which to populate the wasteland, and no small number of decorative items. I do not, however, wish to re-distribute his work as a part of my own. Additionally, as I refuse to play the game without it, having NVInteriors active while I'm working on my own project helps me to decide where, exactly, I want it.

Thus, NVInteriors is also going to be required. It saves me from having to request permission to re-distribute ChuckSteel's work, and you the players from having to slog through bland, uninteresting interior spaces.

But hey! Unlike the DLC, NVInteriors Combo Edition (which is the required one) is completely free for you to go out and download! And it's completely worth it to do so.

Lastly: I've never actually released a mod before, so this is going to be an interesting endeavor. I normally keep all my work to myself. There -will- be hiccups and bugs and various other bits of insanity, I'm sure. Just bear with me here. I'm a stubborn old necromancer, to be sure... so it'll get sorted out eventually. Even if I have to raise it from the dead a few times.

Make sure you give it a clean with FNVEdit before release and have some debugging messages, prefixed with your mod name and also a way to turn off your debugging messages if you don't use MCM and have SCR as a master you can pick an unused number between 10 and 90 and use the SCR MCM debugging system.

• 5 months later...

Archived