Starfield - Official May Update

I fear blender is a bit above my paygrade. Used to have a student license for photoshop but well.............that was years ago.  The author did say they were working a nifskope version with the intent that it would hopefully be a one click patcher (for dummies like me) by then, sounds like I might need to wait for that and finally get nifskope for Starfield. And of course also for my most pivotal mod or a functional equivalent that allows me to nuke the game's stupid interior algorithm and place doors myself again. Also love how with the current place doors yourself I can have proper shutter for the viewports. Like I said that one is a mod I couldn't update myself even if I had the CK as it would require scripting magic that goes way over my head. 

Posted (edited)

Not gonna lie a bit salty Beth didn't just make some official version of place doors yourself as that mod proves it is, in fact quite, possible instead of using that algorithm that designs interiors layouts like a drunken monkey mashing a keyboard. I'd rather have had that than the largely useless decorator. Yes, I did decorate my current ship but I only used the decorator for the ceiling lights that you also need a mod for to get functional ceiling lights you can add yourself. The rest I tediously decorated one surface at a time by dropping stuff and for everything you still need to use the console to fine-tune placement to get it to look good because of the damned restrictions the build mode has now compared to fallout 4.

Maybe they will improve starship interior design at some point but I suspect that patch won't come until some favoured creation have had at least six months to hawk their paid creation ships with decent layouts on the new store. And that itself is probably after the DLC and CK release so late 2025 for the general public at best. Unless place doors yourself gets reworked and updated in the meantime.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:10 AM, DocClox said:

It does force a certain design style, however.

Yeah, it forces large single-deck ships which isn't a design style I really like in starfield as this isn't star trek and we do not command a big ship with dozen to hundreds of crew. Besides in starfield those would be class M ships which we cannot built or fly without mods and who canonically are not designed to land on planets. 

Now post CK release, whenever that will be I wouldn't necessarily rule out someone doing a proper M class ship mod but to do it in style would require some sort of landing shuttle framework imho which would also help to give that Star Trek or other sci-fi shows with bigger starships that need shuttles. 

Like I said the content in this new patch does not inspire me to wreck my game to move over right away.

Here's some of my current interior that I am loathe to nuke just for better maps and a very basic needs mod.

20240514125735_1.jpg

20240514125751_1.jpg

20240514130124_1.jpg

20240514125828_1.jpg

Edited by idonotlikeusernames
19 hours ago, idonotlikeusernames said:

Yeah, it forces large single-deck ships

I wouldn't say "large" At most three 2x1 habs (crew, infirmary, workshop) and between one and three 1x1 companionways. I doubt you could fit the Enterprise's 400 crew into one of my ships, much less require them for it operation.

If you want multi level, just stack a couple of 1x1 vertically.

7 hours ago, DocClox said:

I wouldn't say "large" At most three 2x1 habs (crew, infirmary, workshop) and between one and three 1x1 companionways. I doubt you could fit the Enterprise's 400 crew into one of my ships, much less require them for it operation.

If you want multi level, just stack a couple of 1x1 vertically.

You'll need more space to store slaves 😛

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 5:42 AM, idonotlikeusernames said:

New update breaks the nifs which most mods I use, mainly clothing and the small 1x1 ship habs mods rely on but most importantly right now it breaks the place doors yourself mod, which I really need for my ships as I refuse to have ships that look nice on the outside while getting a clownesque layout with the crafting stations removed on the inside. 

The new maps are nice but right now I'll be keeping steam offline, making a backup and playing through SFSE. I grant the new maps and very basic version of a needs mod are nice as well as the decorator for ships but in general the decorators in this game are worthless because of not allowing anything to overlap or intersect and are still a huge downgrade from Fallout 4. 

It is likely that once the CK comes out there actually will be new and better ways to do the stuff I want within a couple of months and that is when I'll move over. Of course no update on when the CK will release to the non creation club modders and the general publlic at this point and I fear it may not be until after the actual DLC. Heck with the CK I could probably update all the mods I really want to use except, sadly, place doors yourself, as I was never very good at scripting myself if need be and they are abandoned by their original authors, until then I'll keep playing the game I have now. Just the better maps aren't worth having a clownesque interior on my hero ship for me. 

So either the actual DLC, provided it is good and not another Nuka-world or a couple months after CK release is when I will be moving on and over. 

btw theres a mod that fixed broken nif plus most mods that use custom geometries aren't broken with latest update its just those that use vanilla geometries

Edited by Djlegends
16 hours ago, Strec2 said:

You'll need more space to store slaves 😛

Yeah. The last version of the Bug Eyed Monster had two large brig habs. Grand total of six prisoners. I think we're going to need to stack them a bit more efficiently than that.

When we get animation sorted out, I plan to make some suitable furniture. We can customize the habs, not we just need some suitable restraints.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DocClox said:

Yeah. The last version of the Bug Eyed Monster had two large brig habs. Grand total of six prisoners. I think we're going to need to stack them a bit more efficiently than that.

When we get animation sorted out, I plan to make some suitable furniture. We can customize the habs, not we just need some suitable restraints.

I wait some times for the basic mods to stabilize before installing the may patch for re-testing SRU, hoping I'm wrong but for now I don't see anything really interesting and revolutionary concerning the building part and the NPCs in the game, it seems the game is focused only on story and combat.

Beeing able to place a supplemental bed in the ship don't transform a hack/slash for consoles into a sandbox for PC 🙄

Edited by Strec2
26 minutes ago, Strec2 said:

Beeing able to place a supplemental bed in the ship don't transform a hack/slash for consoles into a sandbox for PC 🙄

It's a necessary step on the way. We'll get there.

And you also get empty hab modules you can decorate from the ground up. So it's a bit more than adding an extra bed.

9 minutes ago, DocClox said:

It's a necessary step on the way. We'll get there.

And you also get empty hab modules you can decorate from the ground up. So it's a bit more than adding an extra bed.

I'll see that quickly 😉

What I'm afraid of is the word "decorate". My interest will be to see what type of modules I can place other than "decorations", if the placement is better than before and if the sandbox packages works well.

If I just want to decorate rooms I play the Sim4, not betheda mods.

You can also finally stack your habs with actual storage chests, to significally improve your avaible carry weight. They are not infinite though as I tried, but probably it's logical for a ship.

Eh, you want a slave ship right? Your decoration is going to be limited to confinement tubes and maybe a few demeaning posters to remind the livestock of their proper place. Maybe add a chair so you can sit and admire your haul.

No one is going to make you place succulents or obsess over soft furnishings.

In any event, it's a bit of a moot point. Until the CK we get no SFSE papyrus. Until that, we have no scripted animations and no furniture with custom animations. So there's nothing to decorate with. And once there is, there will probably be custom, pre-decorated habs available via mods.

It's still early days.

Posted (edited)

For enslavement my needs are :

- Somewhere to store and train slaves and slavers

- Somewhere to make the slaves working (sex and breeding are works in my mind)

The ability to store slaves in the ship is for me a prerequisite, if I can train them in the ship it's better, if I can have them producing elaborated thinks (for example drugs) in the ship it's the must.

In my mind the process is capture->breaking them->train them->dispatch them

Hope it will change but for now, on the contrary of Fallout 4, NPCs in camps have very low interest as machineries are automatized and you don't need to attach a NPC to a tool to make it producing and the only NPCs usefull only give some buff to production wich can be easily replaced by adding more tools as they are not mandatory.

Actually you can't really assign slaves to a job, the game is not oriented in this way. Replace in the entire game all NPCs (the real ones) by console for trade and for quest givers and the game works the same... The only exception I see are some companions.

It will perhaps change with sex mods but it will not be here before years... 6 months after the launch we don't have the CK and I'm not sure it will be here before 6 months more, hoping Microsoft won't manage Starfield like they managed Asheron's Call 2.

Edited by Strec2
34 minutes ago, Strec2 said:

6 months after the launch we don't have the CK

I think they're holding it back while the "verified creator" crew make some for-pay Creations to go with the launch of the Creations platform. It's going to be easier to sell mods if they don't have to compete with a flood of free alternatives.

Basically, we're waiting while a few Bethesda darlings get the bugs out of Paid Mods 3.0. I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect either.

Posted (edited)

Good news, it seems promising as you can add some crafting tools and they did not forget to connect them to the cargo hold :)

So it seems that with the CK I'll will surely be able to make some items dedicated for SRU.

edit: note that the crafting tools you install in the home are also connected to the cargo hold, did not remember if it was the case before but you'll be able to have soon 2 interior locations for slaves...

Edited by Strec2
19 hours ago, Strec2 said:

For enslavement my needs are :

- Somewhere to store and train slaves and slavers

- Somewhere to make the slaves working (sex and breeding are works in my mind)

The ability to store slaves in the ship is for me a prerequisite, if I can train them in the ship it's better, if I can have them producing elaborated thinks (for example drugs) in the ship it's the must.

In my mind the process is capture->breaking them->train them->dispatch them

Hope it will change but for now, on the contrary of Fallout 4, NPCs in camps have very low interest as machineries are automatized and you don't need to attach a NPC to a tool to make it producing and the only NPCs usefull only give some buff to production wich can be easily replaced by adding more tools as they are not mandatory.

Actually you can't really assign slaves to a job, the game is not oriented in this way. Replace in the entire game all NPCs (the real ones) by console for trade and for quest givers and the game works the same... The only exception I see are some companions.

It will perhaps change with sex mods but it will not be here before years... 6 months after the launch we don't have the CK and I'm not sure it will be here before 6 months more, hoping Microsoft won't manage Starfield like they managed Asheron's Call 2.

will need ship modules that can make it in which you can land safely at settlements don't want NA scanning your ass and finding slaves on board lol

3 hours ago, Djlegends said:

will need ship modules that can make it in which you can land safely at settlements don't want NA scanning your ass and finding slaves on board lol

This give me some ideas, thanks :)