weapons are invisible after merging mods

Hi everyone,

I have recently merged my weapon mods into one mod to save on plugins, however, I have come across a problem I have never had before. When I load into the game all the weapons in the merge are invisible. I have been merging clothes and weapon mods for years (in there own categories not weapons and clothes in one merge lol) If I reactivate the original plugin related to the weapon the textures and weapon work perfectly fine. Unfortunately I have too many clothes and weapons mods to enable without hitting like 300-400 active plugins (with those marked as light plugins) Anyone got any idea what has caused this?

I don't remember doing anything different apart from experimenting with zEdit/zMerge data tab which was creating a merged archive. When I noticed the weapons were invisible I went back to zmerge and rebuilt the merges and reinstalled them without the built merged archive ticked. 

Thanks for any help :) 

Did the weapon mods come with BA2 archives, like for Meshes or Textures?  The archives may be tied to esp/esm plugins with the same name.

If there are archives, look on Nexus for a BA2/BSA unpacker to convert to loose files.  Also, if you're using a mod manager, you'll need to deactivate the old plugin while leaving the mod active so that the game reads  your loose files.

On 4/14/2024 at 12:55 PM, travelmedic said:

Did the weapon mods come with BA2 archives, like for Meshes or Textures?  The archives may be tied to esp/esm plugins with the same name.

If there are archives, look on Nexus for a BA2/BSA unpacker to convert to loose files.  Also, if you're using a mod manager, you'll need to deactivate the old plugin while leaving the mod active so that the game reads  your loose files.

I have always used zEdit which handles all the BA2 files and stuff. I haven't had an issue until I reinstalled fallout 4 and began building a new modlist. I have been merging mods for years and now all of a sudden I have started having issues. I was merging mods for my skyrim literally last week without an issue.

I have just tried reinstalling every mod fresh from nexus, verified they all work without being merge and then as soon as I merge them all the weapons are invisible and don't work. Vanilla weapons work fine anything modded is invisible and doesn't fire. I don't know if this will help but the mods I am using are the Another Another Mellenia series of weapons (by Pigness and Millenia) and also DegenerateDak's Commonwealth weaponry Expansion series of weapons. 

It's like @travelmedic said, if the mods you merged were in archives (BA2's), then you'll need to extract the archives after you merged them.

zEdit won't merge your BA2 archives, it only merges the esp/esl of the mods. So after you merged it, and deleted the original plugins and just used your merged plugin, the old BA2s from the original mods won't work. They are trying to reference the original plugins still.

You'll need to extract the BA2s from the original mods and either create a new merged BA2 with all those merges in it and rename it to your merged mod, or just use them as loose files. Archive2 works perfect for this (from the Creation Kit).

On a side note, if the mods are script heavy or have world edits, I wouldn't recommend merging them. It can break them.