hair and collisions with the head? And more!

Long hair has always considered my female players' heads to be a non entity, so it passes right through it at every chance. I do have collisions models for several hair types, and I've built them, but they only apply to the body elements. 

How do I make the player head an "impermeable" element too? (I suppose "can I?" would be a better first question, now I think about it)

Ok there's a part two. (not as immersion breaking but a close second)

Hair also doesn't seem to respect the existence of apparel items. Is there some magic bodyslide/etc mojo I can apply to add buffer space when they're worn?

(ex: capes, cloaks, fur shoulder pieces, ponchos, etc, which lift the virtual shoulder, or thicken the virtual upper body...)

Edited by anjenthedog
more stuffs
26 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

Long hair has always considered my female players' heads to be a non entity, so it passes right through it at every chance.

Never seen this before. Looking at Dint99's hair pack that I have installed here, it does have collision meshes for the head so I suppose it is possible something like this would happen if the hair was improperly configured. In Dint99's pack, the head collision mesh is part of the hair mesh itself:

Screenshot2024-03-20225337.png.181cf908e05207fa648b64e52feee71a.png

30 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

Hair also doesn't seem to respect the existence of apparel items.

I find that a lot of (or perhaps all?) outfits I've downloaded come with collisions set to private. My understanding of this value is that it restricts collision to either the current physics preset file (ie. all shapes defined within that same file) or some other limited scope. So usually what I end up doing is setting the relevant shapes to public to enable collisions with everything else. I realize this could significantly affect performance when everything needs to consider everything else, but so far I haven't noticed anything.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm maybe my copy of Dint is out of date.  I'll check. Oh... so head collision is handled by the hair's head reference model itself. I 'dint' know. 

38 minutes ago, traison said:

I find that a lot of (or perhaps all?) outfits I've downloaded come with collisions set to private. ... ... So usually what I end up doing is setting the relevant shapes to public to enable collisions with everything else

via SSEEdit or nifskope or? 

Edited by anjenthedog
the usual
3 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

via SSEEdit or nifskope or?

Notepad.

Using the Daughters of Dimitrescu outfit as an example, I set the skirt shape to public:

<per-triangle-shape name="Skirt">
    <shared>public</shared>

Another thing I've noticed about oufits is that (at least according to my testing and understanding) everyone is using the no-collide-with-tag and can-collide-with-tag elements wrong. Very often you will see a mix of these 2 like in the Dimitrescu outfit:

<can-collide-with-tag>e1</can-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>e4</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>e5</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>e6</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>xx</no-collide-with-tag>
<can-collide-with-tag>ground</can-collide-with-tag>

This is like saying the outfit can ONLY collide with e1, it can not collide with e4, e5, e6 and xx and it can ONLY collide with ground. Which of these rules take precedence? Will the skirt only collide with ground? Or perhaps only with e1 and ground? Or will the whitelist (can-collide...) be ignored when a blacklist (no-collide...) element is found? This is another thing I clean up in all outfits I download:

<no-collide-with-tag>e4</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>e5</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>e6</no-collide-with-tag>
<no-collide-with-tag>xx</no-collide-with-tag>

Ah, directly edit the associated hdtSkinnedMeshConfig files. ok. I mistakenly thought that the only associated xml for armors/clothing were the Bodyslide xml helpers

Heh... yes, I see. I'll try to keep the can-collide and no-collide logic confusion to a min.  Thanks.