The 3ds Max help thread

Suludi

Hi everybody,

seeing as there are several people like myself fumbling around with 3ds Max, I hope I'm allowed to start this thread. I'm completely new to 3dsM, and the program is seriously freaking me out. So maybe someone knows what I'm doing... even when I don't. ^^

I have the student Version of 3ds Max 2012, so maybe the features I'm missing aren't even implemented. But I can't even find THAT information.

I can't store, mirror or load poses. The movie menu doesn't offer the option, it's simply not there. Not even greyed out. I'm working on Skyrim werewolves and humans, but no biped options are available, and I don't want to screw up the skeleton or animation files, so I'm not changing basic stuff.

When I import an animation from skyrim, it screws up any animation I've already created in that file, even if I just tell it to start later in the timeline.

When I create a new animation from scratch, there is NO option to add a note track later. I've searched and researched like mad but no matter which solution I find online, there simply IS NO OPTION to add the damned notes. Meaning I have to import an existing Skyrim animation, delete everything, deal with the screwed up pose, animate my own stuff over it, rename the notes and then find out that the animation gets totally mutilated in the game.

Help please? :(

Hi everybody,

seeing as there are several people like myself fumbling around with 3ds Max, I hope I'm allowed to start this thread. I'm completely new to 3dsM, and the program is seriously freaking me out. So maybe someone knows what I'm doing... even when I don't. ^^

I have the student Version of 3ds Max 2012, so maybe the features I'm missing aren't even implemented. But I can't even find THAT information.

I can't store, mirror or load poses. The movie menu doesn't offer the option, it's simply not there. Not even greyed out. I'm working on Skyrim werewolves and humans, but no biped options are available, and I don't want to screw up the skeleton or animation files, so I'm not changing basic stuff.

When I import an animation from skyrim, it screws up any animation I've already created in that file, even if I just tell it to start later in the timeline.

When I create a new animation from scratch, there is NO option to add a note track later. I've searched and researched like mad but no matter which solution I find online, there simply IS NO OPTION to add the damned notes. Meaning I have to import an existing Skyrim animation, delete everything, deal with the screwed up pose, animate my own stuff over it, rename the notes and then find out that the animation gets totally mutilated in the game.

3. You should Read the Pro Tutorial by 

Tutorial by xp32 and aeon

Its been Covered there , somewhat 

post-8713-0-64178700-1384080964_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edit : Note Tracks should be Added to the NPC Root[Root]    Node

I know absolutely nothing about animating, but you might find this post interesting/useful:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/15293-arroks-ssl-tbbp-animations-resource-for-modders-edited-10302013/page-22?do=findComment&comment=379622

It is more about sex animations, but I would think that wouldn't make much of a difference.

Arrok mentions getting 2011 max instead of 2012; for a few reasons, but you can get havok tools for 2012. That said, I have no remote clue if the tool itself is any different from the 2011 version there of. Anyway you can get a student version of 2011 from the same place you got the 2012 one aswell so if worst comes to worst....

Hi everybody,

(whine bitch complain)

3. You should Read the Pro Tutorial by 

Tutorial by xp32 and aeon

Its been Covered there , somewhat 

attachicon.gifNote Tracks.jpg

Cheers

Edit : Note Tracks should be Added to the NPC Root[Root]    Node

Thank you but that menu isn't in my programme. :(

I don't have

Modes - Controller - Tracks - Keys - Time - Options - Display - View - Utilities

but only

Modes - Settings - Keys - Controller - Utilities - Track View-View (whatever that is supposed to mean)

So if the menu was there, I think I would have found it...

Cyndi: Thank you, I know that thread and have followed Arrok's instructions slavishly (is that a word? ^^). Sadly, there's nothing in there to help me with my current problems. I'm a bit reluctant to switch to 2011 but maybe I'll have to.

Hi everybody,

(bitch moan complain)

Okay, after much tearing of hair, gnashingof teeth and hating on 3d in general and 3ds Max in specific, I found a solution by customizing a menu thingy called Quads.

Customize User interface - Tab Quads - Menus

At last, the program admitted the existence of "Track View - Note Track" and allowed me to add this menu option to my dope shit, err, sorry. Bad Freudian here. I meant dope sheet. *looks very very honest*

But of course I encountered a new monster rising from the deep. Exporting an animation ignores everything I've done with IK solvers. Baking doesn't help. [insert rage explosion here]

Archived