Is there a way to disable some animations of a pack in AAF?

Of course there must be ways. For example, I assume that they can be removed by editing the XML files. But then you need to know exactly the name of the animations you don’t need. But honestly, I don’t understand this at all and it’s better for you to ask the question directly to this topic. There you will at least get an accurate answer faster. 🙂

Edited by DXCinereus
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 1:36 PM, Starfire12 said:

Without uninstalling the entire animation pack? In Skyrim Sexlab there is a way to disable indivdual ones, but in AAF all I get in the admin mode is the overview which ones I have, but no way to disable any.

Good news/bad news

Good news: this is totally customizable. You can set which animations are available, you can also change which animations play in sequence with each other (and what that sequence is). 

Bad news: to do this, you have to be not scared of xml files and looking at your tags (there is a file where all the animations have tags like 'consensual' etc etc, and IIRC most mods will call only animations with specific tags). Editing these are not hard, you need basically no tech skill to do it other than basic reading comprehension, a text editor like notepad++, and the AAF wikipedia page.

And yet so few end users are willing to do it that there must be some Lovecraftian horror that waits in those xmls and ravages the minds of mortal men. 

12 hours ago, Gray User said:

And yet so few end users are willing to do it that there must be some Lovecraftian horror that waits in those xmls and ravages the minds of mortal men. 

Well it's another potential source of things not working properly with no way to be sure if you made a mistake or there's a mod bug elsewhere if something doesn't work.

Anyway thanks for the information.

42 minutes ago, Starfire12 said:

Well it's another potential source of things not working properly with no way to be sure if you made a mistake or there's a mod bug elsewhere if something doesn't work.

Anyway thanks for the information.

Based on posts to this forum, it seems like most AAF bugs are from users who *won't* edit the tags, and end up with like 4 different versions of the tag file in their mod manager's load order. Or: I would think of it as removing a potential source of things going wrong. Doing it by hand is probably more reliable than expecting the mod management softwares or whichever 'patch' is circulating these days to get it right.

But, as in all things, we must each do what we will. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 3:51 PM, Gray User said:

Based on posts to this forum, it seems like most AAF bugs are from users who *won't* edit the tags, and end up with like 4 different versions of the tag file in their mod manager's load order.

"file"?

I have 178 xml files in my AAF/ (virtual) directory which mention a tags= attribute. (virtual because I am using mo2). 100 of them are from the Ultimate AAF Patch. And when I extract the names from these comma separated lists, I see 297 distinct tag names (and none of them are "consensual".

Though I do see an "Aggressive" tag name and I guess if that is omitted mods assume that it's consensual. (Which means no one can consent to aggressive sex in this system - but logically speaking consent is an issue which probably should be resolved in dialog, before the animation starts.)

Anyways, if you know the name of the animation (which I think the AAF admin system will display for you), you should be able to find it in these files (you'll probably want to use something that can search inside files) and remove it.  If the animation is not listed for AAF, AAF will ignore it. (But if you might want to be careful about removing the last animation for a tag which some mod is calling for. You probably should also keep notes somewhere about which animations you removed and why, so that you can review and possibly recreate your decisions if or when you reinstall that mod.)