explain to me like i am 5 how do I run the sims 4+mods on an external hardrive? I am running out of ssd space on my laptop

I am autistic and kind of dumb so please explain to me in simpliest terms maybe with screen shoots on how I move my shit over and run my game on a hard drive and no its not a legit copy.......

Edited by Kawaii1993

It doesn't matter where you licensed your game. Windows has an "mklink" command. Also on Mac symlinks are supported.

Anyhow I can't recommend or explain in simple terms how to use is and what to do if it fails. Read about it or ask a local IT guy.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 6:45 PM, Oops19 said:

It doesn't matter where you licensed your game. Windows has an "mklink" command. Also on Mac symlinks are supported.

Anyhow I can't recommend or explain in simple terms how to use is and what to do if it fails. Read about it or ask a local IT guy.

I figured it out just moved my game folder to the hard drive kept the ea folder and mods on my computer it runs pretty well with out linking with only slight lag. thats tolerable to me, its probably gonna stay on my hard drive because ea keeps releasing half assed packs. 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:55 PM, Crazy Doll said:

You won't get any support on this forum for a cracked game version, and as far as I know you can't move the mod folder on an other device.

Hum...

nope-michael-scott.gif.84cf73b02e1bcfb101386f001043bb3a.gif

Personnaly, I've moved my entire "document" folder on another drive for reasons (can reformat C drive more easily, space management...).

By a similare way, you can move the "The Sims 4" folder by linking it to another folder.

e.g.:
Mickey's game profile is here : C:\Users\Mickey\Documents\MyGamesProfiles\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4
Mickey want to move it here : X:\Games\

Mickey has first to move the game folder to the desired location (windows command) :

move "C:\Users\Mickey\Documents\MyGamesProfiles\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" "X:\Games\The Sims 4"

Mickey could have used "explorer" to move the folder too... but Mickey loves command lines.

Oh no! There's no more "The Sims 4" folder inside "..\Documents\Electronic Arts" folder !!

But Mickey doesn't worries, because he knows how to create a link :

mklink /J "C:\Users\Mickey\Documents\MyGamesProfiles\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" "X:\Games\The Sims 4"

/J is for directory junction... a kind of easy going shorcut disguised as a folder.

There is now a "directory junction" named "The Sims 4" inside "..\Documents\Electronic Arts" linked to his game folder "X:\Games\The Sims 4".

Et voilà! Mickey has his Sims4 mods on the location of his choice without complains from the game.

Directory junction (""..\Documents\Electronic Arts\The SIms 4" not "X:\Games\The Sims 4"!!)  can be removed simply by deleting them as any file. It suppress only the junction not the linked folder.

No risk of general disk failure either if Mickey decides to foolishly delete "X:\Games\The Sims 4" after a rage quit caused by Bella snubbing his vampire sims and marrying Greg the Werewolf.