Moving Beth Games to Proton (Linux)

Started the task last year, because W10 becomes old, and in some way even Microsoft is interested to cancel old game functionality. That's why we see GoG, Lutris and the Steam initiative to make the stuff running with proton.
Base idea: A specialized wine prefix for every game offers a configured windows environment that match the game. Mods and the mod manager is also installed into this container. So you can play a W95 game the same way like a Win-7 game on the same machine.

I have used Linuxmint, because it's also a pretty workhorse for everything else. For now Oblivion, Skyrim-AE and Skyrim-SE/AE works with MM2 in their containers. Have a little struggle with the Fallout series, because here many dll hacks are infusing code into the running game. But that's the reliable way for a modded game, while Steam and GOG are also on the way to offer the games running in Proton. So yes partly successful but some pain with specialized mod.

Hope this can become a collection with ideas and tips to play with linux.

T-Solderbro

I see you grew up with a Commodore 64...I had the 128...and before that the Icon (with a trackball), a Texas Instruments, and before all of these...a PET.  Can you guess my favourite game for the PET?  Space invaders...loaded with a cassette deck.  lol.  I'm not THAT old, but when I share this, I feel it.

It's terrible what Bethesda's trying to do with modding...again.  I'm grateful that there are people out there like yourself who will see to it that modding is preserved as it is.

Now, what to do about my video uploading problem...looking for a home for my NSFW video, but it's a big gal.  If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Happy New Year to you and yours!  Here's to great things in 2024.  Chat any time.  :-)

3 minutes ago, ItsMeStackEm said:

I see you grew up with a Commodore 64...I had the 128...and before that the Icon (with a trackball), a Texas Instruments, and before all of these...a PET.  Can you guess my favourite game for the PET?  Space invaders...loaded with a cassette deck.  lol.  I'm not THAT old, but when I share this, I feel it.

It's terrible what Bethesda's trying to do with modding...again.  I'm grateful that there are people out there like yourself who will see to it that modding is preserved as it is.

Now, what to do about my video uploading problem...looking for a home for my NSFW video, but it's a big gal.  If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Happy New Year to you and yours!  Here's to great things in 2024.  Chat any time.  :-)

My 'O ' level, (a UK late school examination, which were higher than CSE, and no idea what they call them now)  project was on a PET, (still have screen shots, (photos), from the project folder). The 'A' level was on a Norsk Data mini computer. Sad that both Commodore and Norsk Data don't exist anymore. Anyway also don't feel old, but then you meet younger people and.....

ps

I was actually shocked when I found out later in life that for the 'O' level equivalent they didn't actually teach programming anymore. The closest they got was crappy Excel macros. 

7 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

My 'O ' level, (a UK late school examination, which were higher than CSE, and no idea what they call them now)  project was on a PET, (still have screen shots, (photos), from the project folder). The 'A' level was on a Norsk Data mini computer. Sad that both Commodore and Norsk Data don't exist anymore. Anyway also don't feel old, but then you meet younger people and.....

ps

I was actually shocked when I found out later in life that for the 'O' level equivalent they didn't actually teach programming anymore. The closest they got was crappy Excel macros. 

I used to love those books that contained pre-made games (in basic) that could be copied into the computer to get yourself a spiffy game.  lol.  I miss basic.  :-)  EDIT:  P.S.  I'm uploading my video to "Vimeo".  I hope it doesn't get taken down due to a song I used...the song is allowed to be used on YT, but I'm not familiar with Vimeo's policy...

Edited by ItsMeStackEm
On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, Tinkering Solderbro said:

Started the task last year, because W10 becomes old, and in some way even Microsoft is interested to cancel old game functionality. That's why we see GoG, Lutris and the Steam initiative to make the stuff running with proton.
Base idea: A specialized wine prefix for every game offers a configured windows environment that match the game. Mods and the mod manager is also installed into this container. So you can play a W95 game the same way like a Win-7 game on the same machine.

I have used Linuxmint, because it's also a pretty workhorse for everything else. For now Oblivion, Skyrim-AE and Skyrim-SE/AE works with MM2 in their containers. Have a little struggle with the Fallout series, because here many dll hacks are infusing code into the running game. But that's the reliable way for a modded game, while Steam and GOG are also on the way to offer the games running in Proton. So yes partly successful but some pain with specialized mod.

Hope this can become a collection with ideas and tips to play with linux.

T-Solderbro

I don't have any issue running fallout new vegas on steam via proton. Modded, with nvse and all. While I don't use a manager, I am running xEdit and wrye bash through protontricks. I cower away from extensive modifications or anything too special, I tend to keep the game simple.

I've setup Fallout 3 and New Vegas (using the offline installers from GOG) with Tales of Two Wastelands under Lutris and have mods and NVSE installed using MO2 and didn't have too many issues.

Before installing the games, I manually downloaded the DotNet 4.6 Framework and the Visual C++ redistributions (2005, 2008, 2012-2019) from Microsoft and installed them into the Wine prefix I setup for Fallout and everything seemed to work.  The only issue I initially had was finding the right version of Wine to allow the game to run.

To automate the DotNet and Visual C++ installations, I think you can use winetricks to install what you want.

While not ideal, perhaps installing the DotNet/VC++ components from Microsoft might help with some of the DLL issues you are seeing.  You may also need to try different Wine/proton versions.

For my hardware setup, I had to install the Wine 5.0 runner from Lutris and configure the Fallout properties to use that instead of the newer Wine versions (either installed from WineHQ or your distro's repository,) and had similar performance to what I would expect under Windows.  Your mileage may vary depending on your hardware.

Since the laptop I'm running Linux on has an older Nvidia graphics card, the proprietary Nvidia drivers I had originally been using are no longer supported by Nvidia as well as the current Linux kernels, so I had to switch to the open source Nouveau drivers.

This broke my setup and prevented FO3/NV from running.  The last time I tried to run FO3/NV, I was able to get it to run using Wine 8.x, but the performance was so slow in the initial menu (where you choose to start a new game, continue a saved game, etc...) I consider it unplayable.

In my case, my issues may eventually go away with newer versions of Wine and the Nouveau drivers.  If you have a newer Nvidia card, or AMD, you likely won't have any issues.

For comparison, before it died, I had another old laptop with an AMD E1-1500 CPU (which provided the equivalent Radeon HD 7310 integrated graphics card,) which worked just fine.

Oblivion with mods and OBSE works just fine using Wine 4.0 using either the proprietary Nvidia driver or the Nouveau driver for me.

Since the hardware is fairly old, I haven't tried Fallout 4 since I didn't think the hardware was new enough to support the game.