Latest update causing new issues I've never encountered.

So, as always, Skyrim's latest update broke a lot of stuff and I waited days for the mods to be updated. Eventually, they were updated. Now I'm encountering two new issues that I've never seen before as well as some old issues. Primarily two .dlls being disabled (one of which I don't even know what mod it's from) and the other being SUM LoadGame -> Mod requirements failed!. I have a couple screenshots of what I'm talking about.
I'm not a total noob at modding Skyrim but I'm far from being an expert, especially when it comes to loverslab mods. SexLab version No. 1.62.0 is for LE (from what I've seen in a couple posts from google searches) and the two .dlls that are disabled are ones I can't identify. The CrashLogger.dll was appearing *before* I even installed the trainwreck crash logger mod via vortex. I did try installing a different one but this problem came up so I removed it shortly before I purged my vortex and skyrim special edition of all mods. The EnginFixes.dll though.. I have no idea what's going on with that one. I do have logs from my game crashing thanks to the trainwreck crash logger but I don't understand them.
The old issues that I'm encountering are simply the game crashing sometimes when going through doors that lead outside and the loading screens freezing up. Prior to this latest update, when I last played in August or so, the loading screens never froze up for me and I seldom had my game crash.
To some of you, this might seem simple but for me it's a complete headache and I'm lost. Please be nice about it though because I'm genuinely trying and I'm lost. I've asked friends for help but they couldn't figure it out and now I'm here.

skseerrors.png

Skyrimdllsoutdated.png

skyrimsecrashlogger1.png

The SUM message is recommending the wrong version because it likely needs an update so  it detects 1.66 as a valid SL version.

Crashlogger.dll comes from... Crash Logger. It's a different crash logger to the trainwreck one. Literally named Crash logger, there are two version (1 and 2), neither of them has been updated for the latest version. You have it installed, that's where the dll is coming from. Find the mod in Vortex or your game files if manual installs are a thing you do, and remove it.

Enginefixes.dll comes from... again, a mod named Engine Fixes. You have it installed, it hasn't been updated. You can remove it until it's updated or follow the instructions in the first comment here (not the pinned comment, the reply by the user dylan0923) to try making it work.

And this is nothing new really. Any Steam update breaks SKSE compatibility and in turn some mods with a dll also need an update. The amount of work required by authors to keep mods up to date was lessen because of Address Library, but this last update made some drastic changes (specifically to the achievements patch that Engine Fixes uses), and mods that don't use AL at all obviously still need to be updated as usual.

I wouldn't recommend updating or staying on the latest version. There is likely new patches comming up and staying on 1.6.640 is the easier and safest option IMO. Avoid updates and downgrade if you can.

Edited by Just Don't
1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

The SUM message is recommending the wrong version because it likely needs an update so  it detects 1.66 as a valid SL version.

Crashlogger.dll comes from... Crash Logger. It's a different crash logger to the trainwreck one. Literally named Crash logger, there are two version (1 and 2), neither of them has been updated for the latest version. You have it installed, that's where the dll is coming from. Find the mod in Vortex or your game files if manual installs are a thing you do, and remove it.

Enginefixes.dll comes from... again, a mod named Engine Fixes. You have it installed, it hasn't been updated. You can remove it until it's updated or follow the instructions in the first comment here (not the pinned comment, the reply by the user dylan0923) to try making it work.

And this is nothing new really. Any Steam update breaks SKSE compatibility and in turn some mods with a dll also need an update. The amount of work required by authors to keep mods up to date was lessen because of Address Library, but this last update made some drastic changes (specifically to the achievements patch that Engine Fixes uses), and mods that don't use AL at all obviously still need to be updated as usual.

I wouldn't recommend updating or staying on the latest version. There is likely new patches comming up and staying on 1.6.640 is the easier and safest option IMO. Avoid updates and downgrade if you can.

I feel really dumb because I couldn't find the crash logger or engine fixes in my vortex but thanks to you I found them. As for keeping the game from updating, I have no idea how to go about doing that because on Steam it only gives me the options to update on launch, always keep up to date, and high priority. I'll likely take your suggestion and stay on 1.6.640. Thank you!

Vor 7 Minuten sagte Kyberix:

Ich komme mir wirklich dumm vor, weil ich den Crash-Logger oder die Motorreparaturen in meinem Vortex nicht finden konnte, aber dank Ihnen habe ich sie gefunden. Was die Aktualisierung des Spiels angeht, weiß ich nicht, wie ich das anstellen soll, da ich bei Steam nur die Optionen zum Aktualisieren beim Start, immer auf dem neuesten Stand und mit hoher Priorität habe. Ich werde Ihren Vorschlag wahrscheinlich annehmen und bei 1.6.640 bleiben. Danke schön!

You have to deactivate the "automatic update" on Steam... otherwise you can't avoid the game you have installed being destroyed.

(I did this to mine 2 years ago... so I have a working SE version)

For Skyrim (when launching it through SKSE) you can set the auto update option in Steam to only update when the game is launched. If you ask me however, this is unreliable. It's only a matter of time before Steam decides to remove, or not respect this option. There used to be an option to block updates in the acf files but that too was stealth-removed years ago. Steam is aggressively pushing updates to everyone under the umbrella of convenience, but there may be other things going on as well. There may be contractual obligations with some multiplayer titles to not allow players to launch the game unless it is updated (a sort of step 1 of anti-cheat, however lousy the implementation is in practice). What I'm saying is, enough people start doing it, the likelihood of it going away increases; and I'm not going to be one of the ones that get burned when that happens - hence why my Steam jail is far more robust than this. Admittedly it has its flaws still, it could be more strict, but its far better than depending on Steam itself to keep itself from destroying *MY* games.

TL;DR: When you've blocked Steam from updating Skyrim, create a backup of Skyrim. Remember to update that backup periodically, but not without testing the game first. If you're really paranoid, consider file checksums to verify that the list of changed files is what you expect it to be, before overwriting the backup.

Edited by traison
1 hour ago, Kyberix said:

As for keeping the game from updating, I have no idea how to go about doing that because on Steam it only gives me the options to update on launch, always keep up to date, and high priority.

Set it to only update when you launch it and don't allow background downloads. Since you'll be launching it using the SKSE loader and not the default executable Steam won't consider this "when you launch it" so no updates apply. Some Steam update could revert your settings (never happened to me), or if you forget to open Steam before launching the game you can trigger the update when starting the SKSE loader.

An additional layer of protection would be set the app manifest for the game as read-only. That way even if there is an update your Steam client won't receive or apply new patches to the game. Instructions for that can be found here.

Creating local backups or instanced version of the game to isolate your files from Steam is an option, but i haven't had to do it in all my years of playing modded Beth games really.