How can I install Skyrim SE and Skyrim AE separately ?

Hello,

I have a modded version of Skyrim SE (V1.5.97) and I want to keep it like that.

In addition to this, I would like to install a Skyrim AE (1.6.xx) to try a new mods path.

(My Skyrim are on Steam - Mods on MO2)

The only idea that I had, is to backup the installation folder of Skyrim SE, reinstall Skyrim AE, mod Skyrim AE, and when I want to play the SE Version, backup the installation folder of the AE version, and restore the installation folder of the SE version and to circle the installation folder according to my needs. But it is... tedious ;-).

Is anyone may have a better way to work ? I also want to avoid to use different profiles on MO2 because with merged mod I always finished by screwing my previous modded version.

Thanks in advance for your suggesstions and have a nice day.

so errr.... would you could potentially do is install it, downgrade it to 1.5.97  then move that folder, elsewhere  then ensure your mo2 is linked to that new location so it will run it from that but before you run the mo2 u can then redownload the game with (ugh) AE and use a different mo2 linked to that , in theory that should work i have had 2 different versions of mo2 linked tto 2 separate installs of skyrim before without realizing one was on my d drive and the other was on my f drive so i know u can have 2  separate skyrims and have them run, you would just need to trick steam into thinking you were fresh installing the game 

Edited by tecckblade

I would use directory junctions. Look up "junction" from Sysinternals (Microsoft), then do:

1. Install Skyrim SE.
  2. Rename the Skyrim directory to: "Skyrim Special Edition_SE"
  3. Install Skyrim AE.
  4. Rename the Skyrim directory to: "Skyrim Special Edition_AE"

Then depending on which one you want to play at the time, create a junction for it. AE example:

> junction -d "Skyrim Special Edition"
> junction "Skyrim Special Edition" "Skyrim Special Edition_AE"

Note that symbolic links in Windows are generally not 100% reliable, but this is how I ran Skyrim for several years on Windows 7 before I did it properly and created a new Steam library on one of my SSDs. I suppose you do take some responsibility yourself though, as always when modding things. Can't really go crying to MO2/Vortex/Steam with any "app X can't find file" queries after this.

Edit: This would also mean MO2 would be installed twice, once in each actual Skyrim install. Use the archive version of MO2 and extract it yourself. Only need one shortcut pointing to the junction directory, this way you don't risk running the AE MO2 when SE in junctioned.

Edited by traison
30 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

MO2 Stock game feature.

You're already using MO2. Implementing this would take you a few minutes and should work out of the box once you configure it for each version you want to keep.

While not a bad idea, one note I would add to this is that any 3rd party apps (running outside of MO2) looking for Skyrim using Steam or Steam's registry values will not find your current Skyrim, whichever version that is at the moment. I imagine as long as you run everything through MO2 it'll be fine. Also keep in mind that Steam will do its own thing if it can't find the game files as well. With a junction 3rd party apps and Steam will in theory be oblivious to your hacks.

Edit: Setting it up through MO2 would most likely be the more user-friendly option. Unless like I said it comes back and bites you in the ass later.

Edited by traison
54 minutes ago, traison said:

I imagine as long as you run everything through MO2 it'll be fine.

I'm trying to thing of programs to mod the game that can't be run through MO2 and that don't ask for a specific location. None come to mind at the moment. And yes, part of the setup is redirect all your tools to the new filepath specific for the game version you're configuring the MO2 instance.

56 minutes ago, traison said:

Also keep in mind that Steam will do its own thing if it can't find the game files as well.

It doesn't matter. Once you set your stock game somewhere else it's isolated from Steam. Steam could upgrade, break or directly delete your default install and your stock game would be intact.

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

I'm trying to thing of programs to mod the game that can't be run through MO2 and that don't ask for a specific location. None come to mind at the moment. And yes, part of the setup is redirect all your tools to the new filepath specific for the game version you're configuring the MO2 instance.

It doesn't matter. Once you set your stock game somewhere else it's isolated from Steam. Steam could upgrade, break or directly delete your default install and your stock game would be intact.

I sometimes find myself opening NifSkope outside of MO2, but saying "you're doing it wrong" is totally valid there. I think when it comes to my own setup, I'd have some various python scripts and such that would get confused if Skyrim was not at the path specified in the Windows registry, but again, "you're doing it wrong" applies here too as I imagine MO2 would take care of redirecting that if I ran cmd/ps through MO2 and py from there - which I do for some scripts/apps. This is just one of those things that may crop up 5 years later when the "hack" has already been forgotten about.

My point with Steam was more about it downloading the 10 GiB or whatever Skyrim AE is, whenever it detects the entire game is gone. You'd just end up with some wasted space and a 3rd installment which for the most part is irrelevant these days - however on metered connections or limited storage space (i.e. a laptop abroad) it could get nasty.

Edit: But yes, moving Skyrim entirely out of the path where Steam expects it to be would protect you against "attacks" from Steam (otherwise known as updates). You can't do this with all Steam games, but Skyrim as far as I know is one that doesn't care where it is.

Edited by traison