CK Unable to Find & Open Scripts

Hi there, I am trying to edit the scripts for SexLab Defeat.

I can open, edit and compile the script in Notepad++ without any problem, but when I try to open the script in Creation Kit I got an error window that doesn't allow me to edit the script (script "defeatplayer")

image.jpeg.74944bac32ea14f3b2d15d27a59a517e.jpeg

I'm not sure why this happens since I should have everything the script needs (otherwise the script shouldn't be able to be compiled). 

Upon further investigation I have found CK somehow cannot find the script "defeatplayer"

image.jpeg.3fccab7722333b7b138ebba58f728c2b.jpeg

But the psc and pex files are right in the Source and Scripts folder. It's just CK somehow unable to see them. Does anyone know why and how to resolve this? Thank you.

Edited by jalingon3011
9 minutes ago, jalingon3011 said:

I clicked "show hidden scripts" option so even if it's hidden it should show.

Also how do you check if script is set to hidden?

Are you able to find and edit defeatplayer script in your CK?

Hidden scripts.

Scriptname MyScript Hidden

And yes, the script compiles:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "defeatplayer"...
Starting assembly of defeatplayer
0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Assembly succeeded

Compilation succeeded.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 1 succeeded, 0 failed.

On 12/7/2023 at 1:05 PM, traison said:

Hidden scripts.

Scriptname MyScript Hidden

And yes, the script compiles:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "defeatplayer"...
Starting assembly of defeatplayer
0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Assembly succeeded

Compilation succeeded.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 1 succeeded, 0 failed.

Thank you for your reply. Just want to confirm that, when you go into Creation Kit and searched for the "defeatplayer" script, it showed up in the list. Is that correct?

If so, did you make any alteration to the script? Please let me know.

By default, scripts go into:

LE:

- .pex: data\Scripts

- .psc: data\Scripts\Source

SE:

- .pex: data\Scripts

- .psc: data\Source\Scripts

This is by default. You can change that. But I don't do that. I use default. More simple.

If Notepad++ can "see" source, but CK can't, then I'd say, you have different setting for both.

Edited by Fotogen
6 hours ago, jalingon3011 said:

Thank you for your reply. Just want to confirm that, when you go into Creation Kit and searched for the "defeatplayer" script, it showed up in the list. Is that correct?

If so, did you make any alteration to the script? Please let me know.

I have a self-made compiler UI that speeds up the process massively, it however uses the same compiler exe as the CK. Just to make sure though, here's the same thing in the CK:

Screenshot2023-12-08160415.png.2f804a7a8d31663f5d0a971660b9f98c.png

And while the compiler dialog no longer seems to show successful compilation results (did the old CK do that?), I do see the pex was written to:

Mode                 LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                 -------------         ------ ----
-a----         12/8/2023   4:05 PM          95639 defeatplayer.pex

So... yeah, your issue is more likely something along the lines of what @Fotogen said. Process Monitor from Sysinternals (Microsoft) will tell you the answer if you can't find it otherwise. Set the filter to include paths containing "defeatplayer".

Edit: As for modified scripts, not according to my notes:

Spoiler

Issues:

* Allows creature on male animations. defeatnvnassaultspl.psc does not check settings.

Changes:

* Removed BreakUndies from defeatutil.psc.

Edited by traison
7 hours ago, traison said:

I have a self-made compiler UI that speeds up the process massively, it however uses the same compiler exe as the CK. Just to make sure though, here's the same thing in the CK:

Screenshot2023-12-08160415.png.2f804a7a8d31663f5d0a971660b9f98c.png

And while the compiler dialog no longer seems to show successful compilation results (did the old CK do that?), I do see the pex was written to:

Mode                 LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                 -------------         ------ ----
-a----         12/8/2023   4:05 PM          95639 defeatplayer.pex

So... yeah, your issue is more likely something along the lines of what @Fotogen said. Process Monitor from Sysinternals (Microsoft) will tell you the answer if you can't find it otherwise. Set the filter to include paths containing "defeatplayer".

Edit: As for modified scripts, not according to my notes:

Hide contents

Issues:

* Allows creature on male animations. defeatnvnassaultspl.psc does not check settings.

Changes:

* Removed BreakUndies from defeatutil.psc.

Thank you very much for your help. Turns out the problem is that I don't have a CreationKit.ini in my game folder for some reason.

One last thing I like to ask here: I am unable to edit the script as when I double click on it a message saying "Error encountered while attempting to reload the script". But I could load, edit and compile the script in Notepad++ no problem so I don't know what's missing. Do you know how to resolve this? Thanks again.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe there's a bug of some kind in the CK where, if you launch it with a script that has an error in it, it may later refuse to "update" that script and just insists it is too broken to be loaded/used. This however resolves itself by restarting the CK, so its most likely not the issue you're having. Its also possible the CK papyrus compiler UI has some built-in logic for this, but since I'm editing and compiling scripts outside the CK, maybe that connection is missing - i.e. could be my fault it's broken as it were.

I'd start with Process Monitor, and make sure its not some IO error like the CK suddenly being unable to find the script, or the script source.

22 minutes ago, traison said:

I'm not 100% on this but I believe there's a bug of some kind in the CK where, if you launch it with a script that has an error in it, it may later refuse to "update" that script and just insists it is too broken to be loaded/used. This however resolves itself by restarting the CK, so its most likely not the issue you're having. Its also possible the CK papyrus compiler UI has some built-in logic for this, but since I'm editing and compiling scripts outside the CK, maybe that connection is missing - i.e. could be my fault it's broken as it were.

I'd start with Process Monitor, and make sure its not some IO error like the CK suddenly being unable to find the script, or the script source.

I have somehow solved the problem by unpacking the SkyUI.bsa and overwriting the .pex files in the game folder.

Thank you once again for your help. Much appreciated.