[WIP] Shield that thinks it's a Sword, Silly Shield~

So currently i am working on a mod that allows you to use a shield like you would a sword but also have that blocking ability and maybe the bash capability of a shield, blocking part is more important atm.

My reason is because i want to make a character who uses magic in 1 hand and shield in the other and thats it, but i still want that melee capability without having to use a real weapon or soulbound.

Now i searched and could not find anything like what i am asking for so i decided i will just try and make it. But i am fairly new to modding so if anyone has some advice as to how to accomplish it, would be appreciated 

-Tried to just use vanilla meshes of a shield and replace it with a sword but the visuals didn't work

-Now going to make my own custom shield instead 

-Need Advice on how i could make it Act like a sword though ( any method you have )

Guest kimbale

I always wanted to make a big male nord or ork who fights with two shields, bashing and ramming his enemies around. Would your mod be like a off-hand shield that could be used independently? You'd have my full support then. :D

Guest kimbale

I'd really love this - i wanted this since vanilla release tbh.

One possible issue popped into my mind: If you use the vanilla shields (which would be great and save work) you'll have to realign them to the skeleton to fit on the "wrong" hand and not look wonky with the sword animations. If you make your own, you'd do that when making it equippable. I'd try other animation sets too, i think the mace animations could fit.

It's possible to create such a weapon by editing an existing shield in CK, and then turning it into a melee weapon.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

I tried to make one by editing it, but either the visuals wouldn't work or the attack animations would not work.

tried to just alter a vanilla shield as a replacer and also tried making a duplicate and editing that same result though

Guest kimbale

It's possible to create such a weapon by editing an existing shield in CK, and then turning it into a melee weapon.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

I tried to make one by editing it, but either the visuals wouldn't work or the attack animations would not work.

tried to just alter a vanilla shield as a replacer and also tried making a duplicate and editing that same result though

Have you tried turning a shield into an sword and then equipping it on the shield hand (left in my case, may be edited by custom skeleton)? If it looks like a normal shield but behaves like a sword (or whatever weapon category you assigned) it would work like intended. For the "non-shield hand shield" there needs to be alignment editing in a 3d program (3dsmax/blender).

I imagine making "bashing shields" for both hands, ie two 1h swords for each type of shield, would give a nice effect, as there  already are animations for dual wield blocking/bashing.

There are mods on nexus that make independant use of blocks/bashes possible with custom hotkeys. Like lifting your shield and meanwhile poking the enemy with your sword and stuff.

I gotta admit i always have gir saying "silly shield!" in my head when i look at this thread.... :lol:

So after wonderful amounts of playing around i did indeed get a sword to look like a shield the only problem is that the Shield no matter which one i use always equips backwards... It does this regardless if you have it set to Equip as Right hand/lefthand or Shield.

Tried flipping the .nif and that did nothing so now i am just lost as to what to do.

TESVexe_DX9_20131023_174545.png

Guest kimbale

The .nif needs to be flipped in relation to the whole skeleton. You'll need to do that in a 3d editor (3dsmax/blender). Basically all models work the same when it comes to graphics so if you know nothing about skyrim modeling, i advise you to watch some of these: http://www.youtube.com/user/NightasyTutorials/videos?sort=da&view=0&flow=grid

There is a little more to do with shields and weapons, as they get blood textures attached and need hitboxes to register hits. They don't need weighting though. But there's great tutorials on that too, though i can't post one from the top of my head.

Okay so i tried to do what you said Kimbale and well either

A. i didn't get anywhere close to doing what i was supposed too

B. i am somewhat close and forgot something important

Watched the videos and did some armor for testing and it turned out fine, but when i tried my sword that looks like a shield the result is the same as the picture above in game. I assumed the Big Red Box was the Hit box, and no idea what the little purple cube is though.

Sorry for all the questions i know usually WIP are things being done by people who know what they are doing :P

I'm used to making levels/npc's and Quest but i really wanted this mod and all this stuff is just new to me.

Now i will try and just make my own custom Bicurious shield. and go from there~

3dsMax.png

Guest kimbale

Okay so i tried to do what you said Kimbale and well either

A. i didn't get anywhere close to doing what i was supposed too

B. i am somewhat close and forgot something important

Watched the videos and did some armor for testing and it turned out fine, but when i tried my sword that looks like a shield the result is the same as the picture above in game. I assumed the Big Red Box was the Hit box, and no idea what the little purple cube is though.

Sorry for all the questions i know usually WIP are things being done by people who know what they are doing :P

I'm used to making levels/npc's and Quest but i really wanted this mod and all this stuff is just new to me.

Now i will try and just make my own custom Bicurious shield. and go from there~

3dsMax.png

You're missing the skeleton in those 3dsmax pics. You need to import it too to set the alignments. Skyrim doesn't align anything relative to the body mesh - it fixes everything on the skeleton.

And there's no problem with asking if you run into problems, that's what this forum is for, too.

Hehehe... Bicurious shield.... :lol:

Well, another day of playing around moving things over and over and over i did manage to get it changed... =/

TESVexe_DX9_20131025_191716.png

I think it's teasing me now. 

Pics of what i did : 

USImport.png

Import Settings

USExport.png

Export Settings

US1.png

US3.png

Imported my XPMS max skeleton and UNP Body then rotated everything to the Front view, finally realigned the shield.

Guest kimbale

Nice progress!

But now you're at the point where the real modding starts: You've got to fiddle around. Try to move the shield around in 3dsmax, export it again and again and check it ingame everytime to see if it works. I think there is some wierd stuff turning models by 90 degrees somewhere, though i can't remember what and where it was....

At these times i always start to sing this to myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VGkmPF1CNo

(No sarcasm here, only empathy!)

Do i need to edit both 1stpersonshield.nif and the shield.nif like each time i change the position of the shield, or just the shield.nif?

Also when i export from 3dsmax what i've been doing is after getting the shield where i want it i hide the shield,hitbox and purple box that came with it, then delete everything else unhide what i hit and export. is that correct?

Guest kimbale

The 1stperson .nif is for first person view only. It's the model that shows up when you snap into first person. (A lot of people use a mod called "the joy of perspective", that shows 3rd person models in first person though.)

The export seems okay with me, if you had the body in there it would show up with the shield on top of the normal body. It's been too long since i made stuff like this myself, but i think you can leave the skeleton ... or need to leave it ... or just the node at the shield... aaaah i seriously don't know anymore, sorry...

Np i made a thread like you said and people helped :D got it working now in a much more simple yet still frustrating way :s

"if you make it they will come" ~

Anyhow thank you for all your help Kimbale. Now i get to move on to how to make the shields Block so either

A. Custom Animations fun fun

B. Scripting even more fun

C. last resort i ask Bog if i can use his dual wield blocking mod :P

Guest kimbale

Put your sword shield in and use that dual wield mod - that's what i'd do. Lazyness is a evolutionary force... :D Was it that mod with block/bash etc on seperate hotkeys? I've seen a mod for independetnly blocking/bashing with either hand, no watter what is equipped. Gah, i shouldn't post without sources...

I'm too swamped right now, but could help with animations and scripting sometime.

-Shields Are done

-animations are done

-Got permission to use Dual Wield blocking mod from Borgut1337

Would still rather only use it as a last resort currently trying to figure a way to Add armor to the weapon. thinking i could just make a spell and apply it to the shield to give a set + armor.

Because Scripts are just too magical for me ~.~

So if anyone has an idea how i can make the BiSword block without the use of borguts mod would love to hear it.

Only other thing i can possibily think of is to Make the Bisword not be able to use power attacks and instead when you press the power attack it blocks instead.

Guest kimbale

-Shields Are done

-animations are done

-Got permission to use Dual Wield blocking mod from Borgut1337

Would still rather only use it as a last resort currently trying to figure a way to Add armor to the weapon. thinking i could just make a spell and apply it to the shield to give a set + armor.

Because Scripts are just too magical for me ~.~

So if anyone has an idea how i can make the BiSword block without the use of borguts mod would love to hear it.

Only other thing i can possibily think of is to Make the Bisword not be able to use power attacks and instead when you press the power attack it blocks instead.

Nice! That static armor enchantment sounds good. I think they can be hidden too and probably be combined with other enchantments. I believe all the enchanted versions of anything are seperate weapons in the CK, but i'm probably wrong. I need to freshen up my CK skills...

If you have permission to fully use the dual wield block mod, you could check out the scripts to learn. Provided the source files are included. I started doing that with every mod i add to my game recently and i've already learned a lot. Maybe you can figure out a way to do the blocking in a way you like better.

...Seriously, don't be scared of scripts, they're like good dogs (seem scary but help with anything).

That last idea would definitely need scripting too.

Guest kimbale

Duel wielding shields.. all I can think of is when I trolled Dark Souls online after entirely way to much practice.. do want @-@ very good memories.

211420_screenshots_2012-12-21_00004_zps5

Ahahahaaaaa yeah! I hijacked a friends install just to do that! He had trained his guy to be the perfect tank, max armor, max speed. He was baffled that i beat some dark knights with two shields alone. :D EDIT: NG 6, if anyone cares...

BTT: Some Dark Souls dual shield videos. Not that DS has the greatest animations, it lives on the mechanics.

;

One of most trollish things i've ever seen. :D

;

;

Having watched those and more, i think skyrims unarmed animations could be a good base, with the straight hooks and all.

So i'm here to ask for peoples thoughts, Would you want this to work on all vanilla shields? atm i have only dwarven done.

The way to get them would be to make them in a forge and you would have one labeled Left and other labeled Right hand. I can't make it so that 1 shield can go on either hand and look right sadly. So that is the only way i know of to fix it~