Memory confusion

Carida

Greetings!

Alrighty I finally found an enb I adore, so its suggested that the method: vram + ram - 2048  to get the amount of memory  that needs to be put into the enblocal.ini.

But I'm horribly confused as to how to do that =_= .. makes me feel unbright. 

My system has 8gb of memory and 2gb of vram. But I'm not sure if its telling me that I have 8gb of ram total, counting the vram? Which would mean I have 6gb system and 2gb vram.

If that's so.. 

Then it would be 6144 + 2048 - 2048 = 6144

So I would put 6144 there? 

Or if I did it with the 8gb it would be 8192 + 2048 - 2048 = 8192?

But.. both numbers seem kinda high to me? I'm not sure anymore =_= Can someone help please? Thank you so much.

-C

On x64 VRAM and RAM sizes are totally independent from each other (because the OS can address more RAM and VRAM together than humanity can produce).  8192 + 2048 - 2048 = 8192 would be correct.

Only on old x86 it is dependable which can only address 3,5GB RAM (normal RAM and VRAM together).

Erm... system ram and vram are not linked this way, as vram can only be accessed thru the driver => no direct access to it, unlike consoles = huge disadvantage.
An 32bit OS can only access up to 3.5GB sysram (not in every case, as that's depending on the mainboard, so it can be 3.1GB). An 64bit OS can adress up to 4GB (3.8GB excl. overhead).

The way the graphic card driver accesses the vram is completly independent from the OS, so it doesn't matter if it's 32bit, as the driver will still be able to adress all 4GB (if available).

So it could be 3.5GB sysram + 4GB vram = 7.5GB ram overall. But summing those 2 makes no sense whats-o-ever.

O.O .. you two sound so technical, so I haven't a clue, but! I have understood that its the 8192, so I'm going to give that a try and cross my fingers that my game stops acting funky :) 

Thank you both very much for your responses :) Much appreciated!!

-C

Sorry, was only answering to what Groovtama wrote.
i don't know about your problem, but this calculation doesn't make any sense to my anyway, as i don't know how exactly ENB works.
But i saw in a video from Gopher, that there a site, that can calc those values for you and even tell you which lines to edit.

All you need to input there, is the GPU type, VRAM and system ram.

Can't remember the video or the site, so you got to find it yourself. Sorry.
But according to RealVision ENB, the formula you used is correct and so is the result.

Throw a Graphic card with 1GB VRAM and 4GB of RAM and x86 windows on a PC you will only get ~2,5 RAM, RAM and VRAM have the same address spaces because they are both ram and the OS must provide addresses for the driver/gpu so the driver/gpu can get stuff into the vram that's in the same space, the system memory.

http://www.tested.com/forums/pc-and-mac/13947-does-4gb-ram-limit-in-32-bit-include-video-ram/

You are messing up addressable ram per system, and addressable ram per process which is 3,1 on x86 and 4GB on x64.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

(see here) Windows 8 x64 can address 512 GB of RAM total.

Archived