Help: Hanging Loading screens

Eu4orick

Hey people,

My Skyrim likes to act normally after a fresh install but after a time of picking through mods installing/uninstalling I'll get a permanent change to the game! This seems to be when it comes to loading saves and when I get to the loading screen the game will freeze the screen and sometime later load into the game or perhaps CTD.

I have "clean" enough saves I can fall back to but I just cannot seem to rid the "what's going to do next" hanging no matter what I retrace my steps back to. (mostly)

I was wondering if I could be guided with cleaning this problem up? I'm not sure how to give out logs of any kind if they are needed for you to look at. I'll need to know how to generate those as well as whatever other information I'm required of?

Don't quote me on this, but as an educated guess, it's most likely trace data left behind (even after mod removal) that is slowing your machine's ability to load the game down. Some of these "traces" might be left behind in your computer's registry. It is similar to deleting an application by simply moving the file to your recycle bin and clearing it. It's still gonna be there if it isn't removed correctly.

That being said, I'm not certain that I'm qualified to explain how to remove things from your registry without breaking your computer (assuming this is true at all). I don't know that there would be any way to fix the loading screens. But in regards to fixing CTDs, I would suggest seeking out conflicting mods!

Hey people,

My Skyrim likes to act normally after a fresh install but after a time of picking through mods installing/uninstalling I'll get a permanent change to the game! This seems to be when it comes to loading saves and when I get to the loading screen the game will freeze the screen and sometime later load into the game or perhaps CTD.

I have "clean" enough saves I can fall back to but I just cannot seem to rid the "what's going to do next" hanging no matter what I retrace my steps back to. (mostly)

I was wondering if I could be guided with cleaning this problem up? I'm not sure how to give out logs of any kind if they are needed for you to look at. I'll need to know how to generate those as well as whatever other information I'm required of?

Maybe you have too many high-res textures and your computer can't handle it ? It's difficult to say since you didn't really mention your computer specs at all.

Other than that I would say avoid removing mods from a save you're currently playing on, if you don't like a mod just disable it don't remove it completely.

Also keep an eye on how many mods you install with scripts, too many scripts and your Skyrim will start to act funny and shit will hit the fan eventually.

To me it seems like you have removed and installed mods on the save you're currently playing on, causing it to have references to mods that no longer exist which can make your Skyrim CTD.

That and 1000 other different things might be the cause, including cell edits.

Specs i7 940

@2.93ghz

12gb ram Dominator

SSD Corsair 120gb

Ati HD 6990 < This hasn't had any problems running any of my games normally on full wack, it only really screams when I push it silly with Skyrim super textures & ENB settings for 1600p+ for screenarchery which I've no way got around to installing any of that stuff at all. I've been playing the game again so I've kept performance top priority.

It should run almost anything I throw at it, apart from heavy ENB. Textures I don't think are the problem as I've never installed more than 5-10% on what I have had in the past.

I have saves which should have 0 mods to them which should by rights be clean enough load with little or no fault. (Breezehome being one of my major cock up go back to saves)

Specs i7 940

@2.93ghz

12gb ram Dominator

SSD Corsair 120gb

Ati HD 6990 < This hasn't had any problems running any of my games normally on full wack, it only really screams when I push it silly with Skyrim super textures & ENB settings for 1600p+ for screenarchery which I've no way got around to installing any of that stuff at all. I've been playing the game again so I've kept performance top priority.

It should run almost anything I throw at it, apart from heavy ENB. Textures I don't think are the problem as I've never installed more than 5-10% on what I have had in the past.

I have saves which should have 0 mods to them which should by rights be clean enough load with little or no fault. (Breezehome being one of my major cock up go back to saves)

Can you load the Breezehome save without it hanging then? Or any other old save without mods for that matter.

Is it taking a long time to save the game as well ? Or is it just when loading ? How big are your Skyrim saves ? Did fiddle with the Ugrids ?

Not always no, I've had to go so far back on myself uninstalling mods etc I've got so frustrated what I just re-installed the game. But I've yet to try another older save other than the one I always use which does work before something along the lines seems to affect the loading process for a moment or infinite hang which I need to end task with. Saving a game seems to be fine 1-2secs or less. 

I just don't seem to be able to pin it to a single mod either. I've further read bits of loose information regarding loading screens to do with ENB and used the fix for that I guess to no success.

All the problem is to do with just the loading screen... It seems to take nearly an entire re-install to remove it. From fresh it acts fine, when it's not due something, it will load 5secs if that of normal animated loading screen then completely freeze and will popup the mouse cursor in a hanging process fashion probably "Not Responding". It might load into game after a abnormal amount of loading time or it might CTD. It's sort of 80/20 and will play rather than crash.

Not always no, I've had to go so far back on myself uninstalling mods etc I've got so frustrated what I just re-installed the game. But I've yet to try another older save other than the one I always use which does work before something along the lines seems to affect the loading process for a moment or infinite hang which I need to end the skyrim process for to rid. Saving games up to the point this occurs seem to be fine. 

I just don't seem to be able to pin it to a single mod either. I've further read bits of loose information regarding loading screens to do with ENB and used the fix for that I guess to no success.

All the problem is to do with just the loading screen... It seems to take nearly an entire re-install to remove it. From fresh it acts fine, when it's not due something, it will load 5secs if that of normal animated loading screen then completely freeze and will popup the mouse cursor in a hanging process fashion probably "Not Responding". It might load into game after a abnormal amount of loading time or it might CTD. It's sort of 80/20 and will play rather than crash.

I remember i had issues with ENBoost or whatever it's called, it slowed down my game in some areas beyond belief, maybe that's something to look into, i had to go back to an older enb for my game to act the way i wanted it to.

Have you tried creating a new game and see if the same problem persists ? If not it's something wrong with a specific character and you might just have to start fresh, it's hard to say without knowing the size of the save game.

My saves seem to vary from 10,420kb to 10,750kb as I'm messing with mods. My smallest saves would be probably the ones I backed up into a RAR from the beggining of my character (deleted from game for space). Lowest recent has gone down to 8,600kb but that's when I started adding things like ClearInvalidRegistrations to Skse.ini and also using the savecleaner mod for anew set of rock hard saves I could fall back to. But of course adding and saving with mods increases them back up in size again as well as my progressing in game :P. *WHEN IT's working properly xD!

Give this workaround a try.

It has resolved most instabilities from upgrading between mods so far, although there are times (like the past couple of days) when something you do goes so wrong there isn't much other choice than starting a brand new game again (including a reset of the .ini files from the regular launcher).

I try that method all the time :) when things are CTD all over the place and lar de dar. Unfortunately when my problem occurs it affects all loading effectively including my LAST Known clean save, which just so happens to be a no frills Breezehome save. Going back to a fresh new game save I could create one I suppose just for sakes. Thanks for mentioning that one, can never not have enough save points...

Archived