Real Handcuff went crazy -- Call the Medics !!

Hello,

I was playing and adding items ("crafting") to my settlement. I started experiencing a sudden lag. And it was getting worse. As I was playing for few hours, I opted to close the game and restart.

I loaded up at the same point, and after 30 sec I started experiencing lag and frame drops. So, I opened up my inventory and I saw two items pilling up:

Handcuffs   ---------------- 3600+

High Security Handcuffs -- 3800+

As I believed those items are from the "Real Handcuff mod" I opened up the MOD config and saw there was the option to turn of the mod. So I did and the items stopped being spawned in my inventory. Consider that before I started working on my settlement I was doing fine. And clearly I did not change any configuration on mods between those activities.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this mod safe to use?

Thanks!!

UPDATE: By turning on and off this mod, I confirm there is an issue with the scripting (or conflict with something) as logs suggests is checking player's inventory and adding one, ignoring, and adding one... to infinity.

Edited by SkyrimOne

What is really scary is I have been having issues with Fallout 4 critically falling on me after 8-10 hours gametime another time. 

I had another encounter with major lag, bringing the play to 4 fps. And it was not sufficient to reload a past save files to repair the damage. I actually ended scrapping the all game build and restart with a different Nexus collection. And  than added back LoverLab mods. -- not saying it was because of this mod.

Lesson learn from this case, it is not sufficient to rollback from an earlier save file to resolve the issue. This is because mods like Real H do have a config file and possibly some other means to store data or complex scripting that do the unexpected.  So, when you load an earlier game (something that was working before), that would not fix the issue.

I have confirmation in this instance. As of result of this issue I ended with 1000s of handcuffs, even when the mod was turned off, I had major issues in moving those handcuffs out of the inventory. I do not know what type of scripting there is involved, but I could not do it. Why? I do not know.

Also, as I turned on the logging system, I was reading the mod was tracing the handcuffs of the NPCs and it was adding back and removing and then adding back in loop. And I had only 2 NPC slaves. I cannot say what would do if I have 100s.

This mod is out for me, given my unique configuration.

14 minutes ago, SkyrimOne said:

This mod is out for me, given my unique configuration.

I would suggest ditching Nexus collections. Most here probably dont use them. Probably a lot of unnecessary fluff in those collections causing conflicts with LL mods. Real Handcuffs has been rock solid for maybe 99.9% here and in my opinion a very necessary mod.

Other thing is youre dumping a lot of mods into your game at once. I tend to get all my characters body and face mods like I want them, then get my AAF stuff working. At that point I add other stuff...slowly. that way as I add mods and something breaks...I find it quickly. Over time you just know what works well. I have about 230ish mods. Real Handcuffs works peachy for me.

7 hours ago, SkyrimOne said:

UPDATE: By turning on and off this mod, I confirm there is an issue with the scripting (or conflict with something) as logs suggests is checking player's inventory and adding one, ignoring, and adding one... to infinity.

Yeah, one of your mods is in conflict with real handcuffs. RH has a feature which converts vanilla handcuffs to real handcuffs, and for some reason your RH mod is not recognizing real handcuffs and keeps trying to convert them. That's my best guess of what's happening.

As was mentioned above, RH is and has been one of the most stable mods in Fallout 4 for a very, very long time. So if you're having this issue, something is breaking RH.

I had this issue and it was a conflict with a setting in Cheat Terminal mod. The infinite items setting bugs and causes some items to start multiplying and handcuffs is often one of the items for some reason. I've also had it happen with shock collars.

Fix for my setup: 

1. Disable infinite items in Cheat Console

2. Hard save

3. Use Resaver to get rid of unattached instances. I don't think this step was necessary but I generally do it anytime I'm fixing a problem because I add/remove a lot of mods mid game. If you use ReSaver, read the documentation. It's an amazing tool but like any tool, it can break things if used incorrectly. 

4. Log back in but do not open inventory. Depending on the qty of the multiplying item, it might crash your game. Instead, use command console 'player.inv" to find the ID for the handcuffs then "player.remoteitem xxitemID qty##" to get rid of them.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time using the infinite items setting in Cheat Terminal. It's a neat setting but not worth the hassle. If you need something and don't know how to use console, spawning items through the player.additem command is easy. 

I still highly recommend Cheat Console for QoL.

Cheat Terminalain Nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13285/?tab=description

ReSaver (part of the Fallrim tools; read the documentation):

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633?tab=description

5 hours ago, Avatarofjeff said:

I had this issue and it was a conflict with a setting in Cheat Terminal mod. The infinite items setting bugs and causes some items to start multiplying and handcuffs is often one of the items for some reason. I've also had it happen with shock collars.

Fix for my setup: 

1. Disable infinite items in Cheat Console

2. Hard save

3. Use Resaver to get rid of unattached instances. I don't think this step was necessary but I generally do it anytime I'm fixing a problem because I add/remove a lot of mods mid game. If you use ReSaver, read the documentation. It's an amazing tool but like any tool, it can break things if used incorrectly. 

4. Log back in but do not open inventory. Depending on the qty of the multiplying item, it might crash your game. Instead, use command console 'player.inv" to find the ID for the handcuffs then "player.remoteitem xxitemID qty##" to get rid of them.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time using the infinite items setting in Cheat Terminal. It's a neat setting but not worth the hassle. If you need something and don't know how to use console, spawning items through the player.additem command is easy. 

I still highly recommend Cheat Console for QoL.

Cheat Terminalain Nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13285/?tab=description

ReSaver (part of the Fallrim tools; read the documentation):

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633?tab=description

We may have something here! .. I will try to disable my infinity items ON setup -- I confirm that is what I have.

Thank you for your input and I will check the outcome when I can.

6 hours ago, SkyrimOne said:

We may have something here! .. I will try to disable my infinity items ON setup -- I confirm that is what I have.

Thank you for your input and I will check the outcome when I can.

UPDATE: I tested the game with the "Infinity Items - OFF" and the Real Handcuff ON and it is working!! Thank  you for  the info!

On 11/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, SkyrimOne said:

UPDATE: I tested the game with the "Infinity Items - OFF" and the Real Handcuff ON and it is working!! Thank  you for  the info!

The "Infinite Items Setting" of the Cheat Terminal is nice for crafting and cooking ... but breaks some effects for Survival Mode and Sexual Attributes ... picking up/buying items can cause a fatal loop ... as you experienced ...

You pick up a (neutral) Shock Collar ==> RH removes it from your it from your inventory and gives  you a (RH) Shock Collar ==> CT (re)adds the (neutral) Shock Collar ==> RH removes it from your inventory and gives you a (RH) Shock Collar ==> CT (re)adds the (neutral) Shoc.......................

Same goes for buying Powerarmor Frames ... and any effects/attributes induced by consumables ...

I did not ban "Infinite Items" ... I only turn it on, when crafting/cooking and in Workshop Mode ... therefore it´s very convenient and probably intended ...

Careful when srapping Modern Firearms ... the AR15 and AK series will most likely lose modable slots (Scope/Magazin) on respawn ...