Death in CK3

I've just had a very enjoyable game ruined by the AI killing me.

I'm playing, as I always do, as an immortal. I know what immortal means so I don't mind getting killed in battle or murdered.

It is June 936 and I get a event saying I've been assassinated. Okay, annoying but acceptable. I roll back to a save.

It is June 936 and I am out riding when death takes me. WTF. I roll back to a save.

It is June 936 and I die for reasons. FFS.

Do I detect a pattern here?

So, is there a way to stop this?

I've had a look on Steam Workshop and what immortality mods there are all seem to be just that - immortality mods. I couldn't see anything which would make you unkillable or even immune to illness and disease.

Edited by Grey Cloud

As  I recall(looked back when game first came out), the outcome of a murder scheme is decided a month~ b4 the event.

Eg January: start scheme

-

-

September  30th: reaches 100% the game rolls >here< whether the target survives/dies- (A).

November 1st: the event fires that kills you (event rolled here/bomb/pison/snake etc) (B).

So rolling back to a save in October won't help, needs to be one prior to September 30th.

Inelegant solutions:

1) Mod the murder scheme so it fires outcome roll (A) and event roll (B) very close, to make save scumming a better fix

2) Or just mod the death outcome to include a NOT= { is_ai = no } check.

Never looked into diseases, id guess you could try modding in the same ai check there too, maybe?

Edited by Dwjliel
1 hour ago, Dwjliel said:

As  I recall(looked back when game first came out), the outcome of a murder scheme is decided a month~ b4 the event.

Eg January: start scheme

-

-

September  30th: reaches 100% the game rolls >here< whether the target survives/dies- (A).

November 1st: the event fires that kills you (event rolled here/bomb/pison/snake etc) (B).

So rolling back to a save in October won't help, needs to be one prior to September 30th.

Inelegant solutions:

1) Mod the murder scheme so it fires outcome roll (A) and event roll (B) very close, to make save scumming a better fix

2) Or just mod the death outcome to include a NOT= { is_ai = no } check.

Never looked into diseases, id guess you could try modding in the same ai check there too, maybe?

I decided to give it another try and got an attempted murder where I managed to strangle the would-be murderer with a wall tapestry. ?‍♂️Anyway I got my game back though now I'm a nervous wreck and every time an event window pops up I burst into years. ?

The game is full of options, each with its own probability, and it seems like a world full of infinite possibilities. But in fact, before each event occurs, the game will generate a "random number seed", which determines the outcome of the event. And actually the Event Window will do nothing  with the event. Therefore. In an event chain, the "seed" at the beginning determines what will happen in the future. If you are a Laplace's demon and know all the initial "seeds" in the game, then you can accurately predict what will happen in the future. So this is not true randomness, but a kind of pseudo-randomness.
Not just CK3, but nearly all of Paradox's game have the same probability system. What impressed me most was Stellaris' <Infinity Machine> event chain. When I spent ten years completing research, the result was a failure. I reload for many times, and finally realized that the failure was doomed ten years ago, while the moment I started the research. But the autosave file at that time had already been overwritten.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of the road with this game. I don't know why I bother with it as there is very little in the game that I like and there aren't the mods to make it do what I want.

Edit: I'm done. June 947 and it's 'died under mysterious circumstances' city. Rolled way back and managed to get past June only to die 'under mysterious circumstances' in July.

Edited by Grey Cloud