[FNV] How do I use replacement textures that I packed into a BSA?

Santr

Basically, I want to compress NMC's textures into a BSA for quicker access and space saving.

I've gotten used to how Skyrim does it: pack whatever into a BSA, make an empty ESP with the same name, and it just works.

This doesn't appear to be the case with FNV. Or I'm doing something wrong.

Someone, help, please?

Guest carywinton

The process you are using is the correct one and should work as far as I know. What version of FNVEdit and Fallout Mod Manager are you using? Not that this may make a big difference because I do not believe the BSA extractor , BSA Creator has been updated with them, but you never know. There is also a tool that is being used by allot of folks, especially over at TTW, it maybe of some benefit, apparently it works for all Gamebryo based games or variations there of.

BSAopt - Bethesda Archive Management and Optimization : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/247//

I hope this helps you. Let me know how it all worked out, I would be interested in a better BSA creation method myself. I may try using this tool as well.

FOMM comes with a bsa packer and unpacker. That works for FNV.

Not all files can be combined in all situations. There are limits and conditions. Most of the time loose files like NMC texture files won't work just loosely packed in a BSA in the Data folder. You need an ESP or ESM to be able to access those records properly. It might work without this but I am not sure as I haven't packed those files myself to see if it works. I have however packed almost every other file into a BSA where possible in Sexout and managed to get most of the  them to work.

Keep in mind that if any files are loaded that are in the same path and are loose they will overwrite the NMC texture files in game.

Yep, BSAopt is the best tool for this I've encountered and what I've been using for Skyrim for a while, as well (level 1 compression seems to work without any apparent problems in FNV), but NMC's still wouldn't show up in the game, no matter how low I put the same-named ESP in the load order (activated, of course).

But I've been trying to avoid installing GECK and used FNVEdit to make that blank ESP, so maybe I've been goofing it up somehow. I've downloaded a blank ESP someone else made now - will try using that later today and see if it changes anything.

I have found some very strange things that happen with BSA's. Even when everything else should be working it don't. Having a blank esp might still not fix the issue. I have used the FO3 version for a long time and on occasion use the FNV version when I am not overloaded with other textures... I think he has done a great job and is quite skilled at what he does. I can't help but think that he distributed it as loose files because he also had an issue with BSA's working properly. I know he really don't want others to take textures and whatnot from his mod and putting it in a BSA can help slow that down to a point. I like you believe it also helps stabilize the game to a point and it is great because when other textures are loaded (loose ) it overwrites the BSA and when they are removed they return. No need to reinstall the mod. I use this with Sexouts BSA for Breezes. I install whatever body options I need and only those and enjoy. I can uninstall them and be returned back to the normal.

I would love to see how you resolve this issue and get this to work with BSA's. I would also like to do the same thing. I think if I had it packed in a BSA I to would use his mod more.

No luck. The only possible explanaition I have is that the ESP likely needs to explicitly point to the new meshes/textures for every asset in the BSA for the game to replace them - otherwise, it just ignores them.

Don't know what else I could try. BSAs are great, but aren't essential, so I guess I'll have to live with the loose files in FNV.

Yes I believe you are correct the esp needs to have a reference otherwise the main esp for Fallout takes over. The game looks for loose files and those take priority over any BSA. That is the reason the Loose files for NMC works and the BSA don't.

Oh before you decide to place a prefix to the NMC like some mods do with sexout (Fallout - NMC)  it most likely won't work. It seems if there are two BSA's with the records that are the same the game crashes. It can't decide which to use.

Long shot and I don't know if it would work but ..

Copy all the records for the textures from FNV and then create a BSA. Lots of work with  a chance to fail. However it s possible that if loaded below the FNV esm it would work. Later you would most likely have to convert it to a esm or have texture issues considering many mods are accessing the same files.

Archived